guys guys... the current linux way will still work it's ok

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I assume that the delay for starting sales is because windoze flashtool support will eventually cover X also, but something needed from Sony side.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by feedme View Post
I assume that the delay for starting sales is because windoze flashtool support will eventually cover X also, but something needed from Sony side.
Yes but that still only makes sense if there will be an additional fee for the Windows tool - else there won’t be any reason to delay the sale ...
That’s all wild guess of course ....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
How embarassing. Using Windows to flash Linux. So people struggle to get a phone with Linux that hardly works, but can't bother to use Linux on the desktop, that is free, works any day to install on a PC, can be used for anything (no problem with bluetooth or double-tapping or anything). Give me a break. Why do people need the phone so bad when they ALSO could have all those wonders on the desktop.

Ok, I'm not evil. Let the poor bastards have it....

Now you would like to keep Sailfish for the Linux desktop club?

I think the more Windows people that can have access to the Linux phone the better.
It is the phone that holds the most privacy sensitive data these days and demands an honnest business model by the phone OS maker.

Do you remember what having a Windows PC did add to your Maemo Linux phone in 2010? Full backup, sync, , flash and "tethering" and sending of SMS via Nokia Suite.

Linux and Windows, they were so complementary that even top people at Microsoft got scared that the Linux exposure through Maemo / MeeGo would eventually make people aware of Linux as a viable desktop OS.
Get to know and tweak your phone (without rooting) and see before you know it there is a crowd learning desktop Linux commands while drinking coffee outside: this couldn't be allowed to happen.

The embarrassing thing is that Linux people from their side don't seem to recognize how much they need the Windows crowd for Linux usage to expand beyond the embedded and hidden stuff.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by purrcatian View Post
Windows costs ~$100, Linux is free. Not costing a huge amount of money seems more inclusive to me, especially since the linked Sony tool *only* runs on Windows.
Well that's obvious, I never suggested that Windows should be the only way to flash a device. But giving user the option to use preferred system to do it would be great.

The current Linux method works great and people are using the flash.sh script but Jolla also providing a way for windows based machine to do it as well just makes more inclusive and does not alienate people who currently do not have linux machines.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Good news, more the marrier. I'm a hardcore Linux user but if we get Windowzers on board it's a welcome addition.

edit: how do you spell "marrier"? Does not sound right

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Is there any new about bluetooth support? Without BT I won't buy it as I use it quite often and on a daily basis. Thx.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Good news, more the marrier. I'm a hardcore Linux user but if we get Windowzers on board it's a welcome addition.

edit: how do you spell "marrier"? Does not sound right
"More the merrier"
Just like in "Merry Christmas"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
How embarassing. Using Windows to flash Linux. So people struggle to get a phone with Linux that hardly works, but can't bother to use Linux on the desktop, that is free, works any day to install on a PC, can be used for anything (no problem with bluetooth or double-tapping or anything). Give me a break. Why do people need the phone so bad when they ALSO could have all those wonders on the desktop.
There is one big thing missing actually: gaming. Unfortunately game studios only deliver on Windows :/

What I really don't like about latest Jolla post is the open lie. The "new way of flashing" presented in the post exists since... 2012 Really, WTF are they playing with us?? https://developer.sonymobile.com/201...beta-download/

The Following User Says Thank You to Sthocs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Sthocs View Post
There is one big thing missing actually: gaming. Unfortunately game studios only deliver on Windows :/
I don't know, I have a big Steam library. No windows computers. Admittedly, one of the kids uses PlayOnLinux/wine to run a few games, but nobody else have complained for the ten years or so that the house has been linux-only.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x