Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
What OS is Archos?
It's Android.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
...I'm curious about your critique of the "App Store Model". I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, just wondering if you'd care to enlighten me what it is that you object to in that? From an end-user point of view, the only difference between Maemo extras and other repository installs and the Android App Store seems to be that one (the Market) comes in a prettier interface than the other (at least now, perhaps N900 has a nicer interface). Both handle installation of free apps and updates to them. Why is Maemo Extras a good way of handling software installations and Android/Apple marketplaces a bad one? Is it the commercial aspect that you have a problem with?
+1
Not a fan of the iPhone, and only slightly like Android, but I like the app stores. One spot for all of the apps is a good idea any way you slice it.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
What BatPenguin is saying is that extras is already such a place (except for a payment part, which isn't there for I feel more because of technical reasons than philosophical ones).

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post

Anyway, maybe a bit off-topic but I'm curious about your critique of the "App Store Model". I don't mean to start a flame war or anything, just wondering if you'd care to enlighten me what it is that you object to in that? From an end-user point of view, the only difference between Maemo extras and other repository installs and the Android App Store seems to be that one (the Market) comes in a prettier interface than the other (at least now, perhaps N900 has a nicer interface). Both handle installation of free apps and updates to them. Why is Maemo Extras a good way of handling software installations and Android/Apple marketplaces a bad one? Is it the commercial aspect that you have a problem with?
not the appstore in general, but rather archo's appstore in particular.

they have a nasty habit of locking down the system and making you pay for everything.

so although it runs android, will archos 5 users be able to download and install random apps from the android store?

e.g. will i be able to download a mapping utility from the android store and then run it on my archos 5, and even if i am; will the mapping utility be able to access the GPS hardware in the device?

much is unknown.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
so although it runs android, will archos 5 users be able to download and install random apps from the android store?
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...lang=en&p=ht44

it would seem so...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post

it would seem so...
Oh dear God. I love it.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
from what i gather, their appslib store is more about making sure people have a easy place to find apps that will actually make use of the screen size and resolution, rather then being designed for the smaller screens of the phones android have been found on so far.

Originally Posted by tso View Post

it would seem so...
awesome.

anyone happen to know if their is an android map application that can display pre-cached cloudmade openstreetmap data and function with a GPS?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
It may not be a direct competitor to the N900, but the N900 is not a direct upgrade to the N8x0 tablets (at least for everyone). So in a sense, it is a competitor to the N900 for those people that wished the N900 was more "tablety" than "phoney".

It is very tempting to those of us who wanted a bigger or at least the same size screen, and a hardware upgrade from the N8x0's. I think many who are happy with the N800 would find this very appealing. Similar form factor/ size, larger screen, larger flash w/ a card slot (or very large hard drive), similar battery life, etc.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on for the next month or two to see how the OS is locked down, the upgradeability of the OS, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Being the owner of previous Archos products, I have a very bad taste in my mouth from their products. The other boards are already confirming that the base Android OS and certain apps are integrated into the flash and check the encrption key that is hardcoded into the chip on the device. The same way that it prevented any of their previous devices from running updates from other sources or from running other OS, i.e. Maemo. If you want a very locked down system, i.e. no Flash 10 support, then by all means, go buy one. In have a 704wifi that is still a great DVR after 4 years, but you will NOT be able to expand it or customize it, just load the applications that they allow you to, as long as you do not try and mess with their base system. Be prewarned befor you lay out you $$$$$.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSchievelbein For This Useful Post: