A link to the relevant Wiki page in the first post would be good.
As interested I am about the issue, I got tired of reading the discussion after 6 pages.
When things get as clear they can get currently, update a Wiki-page (?) and insert the location into the first post, please.

(I also am little dissapointed. Previously I had an impression Nokia will officially support Meego on N900. I guess things change, like with WAP, Pop-Port, N-Gage, Visual Radio, PoC, DVB-H,....)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
@qgil excellent, so are Nokia allowing the community to ship the same UX and apps that are on the Harmattan device as a community build for the N900?
Short advice: keep the work going and don't worry about redistribution at this point. We will find a reasonable way to deal with this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
This is new to me.
What is the source of this information?
http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...n_features_.3F

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
So, Harmattan is not MeeGo. It's only called MeeGo, but it is still Maemo. It's not MeeGo product, but MeeGo instance.

OK. Got it. Now it's clear.

So, this thread is about creating MeeGo product which contains Harmattan components, on the contrary to MeeGo instance contained in Harmattan.

Understood. It's not confusing anymore.
I was under the impression that Nokia is working on MeeGo product, but they are not. They are working on MeeGo instance and THIS thread is about community created MeeGo product dedicated for N900.

Don't you worry that you will loose audience as soon Nokia launches Harmattan device and starts working on MeeGo device? Similarly to how Mer lost traction once N900 got released.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
So, Harmattan is not MeeGo. It's only called MeeGo, but it is still Maemo. It's not MeeGo product, but MeeGo instance.

OK. Got it. Now it's clear.

So, this thread is about creating MeeGo product which contains Harmattan components, on the contrary to MeeGo instance contained in Harmattan.
No, the thread is about bringing the MeeGo instance contained in Harmattan to N900. Ie, bring Harmattan to N900. Harmattan on N900.

Don't you worry that you will loose audience as soon Nokia launches Harmattan device and starts working on MeeGo device? Similarly to how Mer lost traction once N900 got released.
My (personal) hope is that it is really a trivial port. Similar to how we ported Maemo5 to Beagleboard and Zoom2.. both OMAP3 devices with similar hardware.. But audience.. everyone moves on sometime.

This project is to bridge the gap till MeeGo (RPM based) is mature enough and has differentiation available and we can want to port that to N900. It isn't a new 'big project', it's similar to a mini project like Maemo on Beagle was. And best of all, it is a project to have the N900 not be left behind. And a realistic one of the sort.

It's been a failure if we don't have something working properly on N900 by Harmattan release (or whatever comes right before).

Goal would be to make the hardware adaptation stand on it's own so it can be easily maintained and follow Harmattan releases with ease. Done just right, it would be a minimal set of patches towards Harmattan + some binaries to support N900.

Beginnings would be patching against what is being released in the Harmattan alpha, beta releases. Building images with that, configurations, etc.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-26 at 14:53.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
So what was released from MeeGo for the n900 (e.g. the images)?

I'm confused!

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
So what was released from MeeGo for the n900 (e.g. the images)?
The MeeGo Core (RPM based system, formerly known as Moblin) + Nokia N900 hardware adaptation. In due time, MeeGo Core + hardware adaptation + Handset UX (from MeeGo project).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Optln View Post
Are we able to use a desktop environment with the first release, like the recent MeeGo release for vehicles? It contained Xfce IIRC. And are you in position to explain what "due time" means, is it like weeks or months .
You can ask this over in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53571 , 'MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900'

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Nokia can decide alone on Nokia proprietary components and yes we want to do our best. But Nokia doesn't have the last word about third party software, and every third party is different. We can't guarantee or even know at this point what will be their position about redistributing their MeeGo-Harmattan software in a community driven version for the N900.
Sorry, but I can't agree with that, Nokia is not even trying to do its best!!! If they were we would have official support for Meego on N900... just that simple...

It is your job role to defend Nokia's decision here at this forum, but don't think the members here are that naive... The announcement of PR1.2 was strategically used to tell us what Nokia have decided several months ago... As discussed many times the official support for Meego on N900 was a business decision (thus, MONEY related), not due to technical restrictions.

Considering that N900 was launched just half a year ago I don't have any doubt the Meego project was already part of Nokia's roadmap, and yet you launched N900 already knowing that Maemo 5 would not be the priority in just a couple of months!!

You can try to argue in many threads about the application portability with Qt4.6, keep Maemo 5 support with PR1.3 on the roadmap, Meego community version for the N900 and so on... and don't worry, some fanboys will still buy it!! But I am sure there are a lot of users like me who can see that's just excuses to avoid hurting current N900 sales, and the related promises will probably be forgotten once the first Nokia Meego device is launched...

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
No, the thread is about bringing the MeeGo instance contained in Harmattan to N900. Ie, bring Harmattan to N900. Harmattan on N900.
So, why don't you say so?
The topic and first post is completely misleading. Especially the "MeeGo based" term.

In other words, its "Mer reloaded"?

Tags
harmattan, meego