I am confused about somthing...If the n810 is seen as a host can I buy a min usb to female usb adapter and hook my cell phone up to it and use internet sharing that way?

tz1 - Could the same thing be accomplished by getting two USB extension cables (male A to female A), cutting them apart, and connecting the female halves? Then plug that into the USB cable supplied with the N810?

sub0: Your cell phone should work but you may have to manually arrange for the ppp connection to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0. The ttyUSB0 might need the airprime and/or usbserial kernel module. ttyACM0 uses cdc_acm. Note that the cell phone might request enough power so as to require the external powered hub. Also some of these modules have acted strangely, but I haven't had time to recompile everything to verify it. So the answer is that there is no technical hardware reason the USB cell phone hookup would not work (allowing for power). The software might need some tweaking to get everything to work.

bilofsky: The n810 detects host mode by a plug which shorts pin 4 (sense) and pin
5 (ground) together. The stock cable doesn't do this, nor does it bring out pin 4 to where it would be accessible. You can however do it like they do on the n800 where you use a shell script to switch between OTG/Peripheral and host mode in software. The shell script mode switch trick does work on the n810, then a female-to-female adapter would work as you said. I actually have several M-F A extension cables in pieces and I tried it this way before I got the Motorola adapter.

Originally Posted by scanman717 View Post
tz1 - WiSpy is the main tool that I would like to use... Have you tried the curses version of the tool?? That would suffice for me for the time being..
I'd love to, but my development ubuntu laptop had a screen crack and is out for repair. I downloaded the files though, so when it gets back I'll give it a try (of if desperate enough, get the toolchain working on my MacBookPro). Or if I'm really desperate, set up the toolchain on the n810 (I have the full toolchain for a Zaurus on my Zaurus!)

It is probably the first thing I will try to get working. I also need to find out why I can't mount the hfsplus partition from my iPod using loopback, and some other kernel modules.

It would also be nice if someone could get USB (peripheral mode) networking going on the n810 - something is preventing it from working like the n800 does in the howto.

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
sub0: Your cell phone should work but you may have to manually arrange for the ppp connection to point to /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0. The ttyUSB0 might need the airprime and/or usbserial kernel module. ttyACM0 uses cdc_acm. Note that the cell phone might request enough power so as to require the external powered hub. Also some of these modules have acted strangely, but I haven't had time to recompile everything to verify it. So the answer is that there is no technical hardware reason the USB cell phone hookup would not work (allowing for power). The software might need some tweaking to get everything to work.

bilofsky: The n810 detects host mode by a plug which shorts pin 4 (sense) and pin
5 (ground) together. The stock cable doesn't do this, nor does it bring out pin 4 to where it would be accessible. You can however do it like they do on the n800 where you use a shell script to switch between OTG/Peripheral and host mode in software. The shell script mode switch trick does work on the n810, then a female-to-female adapter would work as you said. I actually have several M-F A extension cables in pieces and I tried it this way before I got the Motorola adapter.
BTW, the female A-A female adapter can be had for about $1.00 from dealextreme.com, including shipping.

tz1 - Thanks for your great work. I have ordered the cables and look forward to trying this. If it works, I'll have a way to FTP vacation photos from my camera SD card through a USB reader for safekeeping on my ISP.

I see in another post that the N810 has USB 2.0. The F-F adapter says it's 1.1 but if it's just wires, that wouldn;t be enough to slow down an otherwise-2.0 connection, would it?

Have you considered adding this to the wiki article on getting into USB host mode? This site would be more useful if more stuff was in the wiki.

Last edited by bilofsky; 2008-01-06 at 03:26.

I have two separate articles on this on the wiki, one right after your link on the main page, and one describing the cable in accessories. Feel free to crosslink the articles or copy as appropriate - I'm a writer, perhaps someone is a better editor.

And 1.1 v.s. 2.0 generally is a quality issue which would not normally apply to a simple F-F adapter. Never say never, but it would be rare for such an adapter to cause any problems.

I've ordered the cables thank you ! (anyone interested in where I found these, let me know here).
One more question : you say the "Linksys USB100M" works.
Could you develop ? (I've seen posts here in the forums that the N800 Web browser is trying to mount a Wifi connection anyway if a USB-Ethernet adapter plugged)
thx,
XooH

"Develop" - I think you mean "elaborate"?

With the Linksys, it is another interface. I think the default route is still the Wifi if you don't disable it or do route commands on xterm after you do the ifconfig eth0 and/or udhcpc commands.

1. Connect USB100M.
2. do "ifconfig eth0 up" (insert inet st.at.ic.ip here if you use it)
3. do "udhcpc eth0"
4. adjust routes.

Now you are connected via wired ethernet.

Someone mentioned how to create a "DEFAULT" interface for the connection manager in the "USB Networking" howto or wiki, so that might work too, as well as some other tips about how to modify the network config files.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I am interested

Fred

Originally Posted by XooH View Post
I've ordered the cables thank you ! (anyone interested in where I found these, let me know here).
One more question : you say the "Linksys USB100M" works.
Could you develop ? (I've seen posts here in the forums that the N800 Web browser is trying to mount a Wifi connection anyway if a USB-Ethernet adapter plugged)
thx,
XooH