Biggest concern is now operator in trip to Vancouver
Where i am living in Vancouver is not have wire internet.

That why i try to find reasonable priced mobile internet or even if i can use internet/messanger in my phone.

Thanks so mutch from help

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
You're right, Qole, EDGE is not an option on those networks. So the only choice for data remains Rogers/Fido.

I still don't understand Bell/Telus' strategy with the AWS spectrum they bought. Are they just spending money to block competition? Surely there are cheaper ways to do that (like buying politicians instead).

On a related note, there are rumblings that Vidéotron could pair up with Wind to meet the new CRTC Canadian Ownership rules. If this happens, it might even mean customers from each network would have true coverage across the country. Hope for the best, expect the worst!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Time to wake up this long-dormant thread (hey, it's been over 48 hours).

I was just pointed to a retailer in the Toronto area (Markham) that specializes in the latest tech gadgets, and they have a listing for the N900. No price listed yet, but that will probably change soon; shipping is free within Toronto, and only $4.99 for the rest of Canada (and that's FedEx). Normally I wouldn't suggest a place I've never used, but a family member bought an N810 (for herself) and a few N800s (as gifts) from them last year, and the experience was good. So, it may be something to consider, if the price is right.

http://www.markways.com/detail/990/Nokia_N900_Black/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
In canada the cheapest gms cell coverage and no contract (with no data plan) is either Petrocanada or 711 - both sell speakout.

In toronto there is also a wifi provider - Toronto Hydro with pretty good coverage of the downtown core for $30 a month.

I have a n800 and as I am cheap I either go off that, my work wifi, home wifi or off my friends iphone (acting as a hotspot)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...n=n900&x=0&y=0

Decided I'd do a check to see if the n900 was on newegg.ca yet - last time i checked it returned no results, now it returns one deactivated result..

Hopefully?

Hi all ... apologies, i'm not well versed in all of this technical, network, frequency stuff ... but I REALLY want a N900 ... I live in Quebec ... do I have this right:

Voice works on any GSM network in Canada (Rogers, new Bell/Telus network);
Data works only on Rogers 2.5G (Edge) which is unimpressive at best;
Wifi works just like any ol'wifi computer in hot spot ... someone mentionned using a friend's iPhone as a hotspot...how does that work?
I can buy unlocked from US and just insert my Rogers SIM card and voice will work? and 3G data will work if, as an when Videotron/Wind get up and running?

The Following User Says Thank You to Globetrotter For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Hi all ... apologies, i'm not well versed in all of this technical, network, frequency stuff ... but I REALLY want a N900 ... I live in Quebec ... do I have this right:

Voice works on any GSM network in Canada (Rogers, new Bell/Telus network);
Data works only on Rogers 2.5G (Edge) which is unimpressive at best;
Wifi works just like any ol'wifi computer in hot spot ... someone mentionned using a friend's iPhone as a hotspot...how does that work?
I can buy unlocked from US and just insert my Rogers SIM card and voice will work? and 3G data will work if, as an when Videotron/Wind get up and running?
- Yes,
- Yes, but it's not terribly unimpressive. Don't expect to have great fun watching youtube over Edge, but it should be sufficient for most other things like google maps, updating twitter/facebook etc.
- http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...i-hotspot.html
- Yes

I currently have a month-to-month fido account. I'm going to get an N900 (obviously) and then switch to Wind when it finally comes out, so I'm in the same boat

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Maybe Vidéotron will buy Wind with the recent CRTC ****-up...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I am quite ticked at our CRTC over the Wind fiasco. There are rumours that Videotron will buy Wind to gain the Canadian ownership % they need. I hope it resolves soon - my N900 really could use a speed increase

More likely they'll partner

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind