Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
I turn the device off (completely) in the evening and then plug it in to charge using native charger (I may sometimes plug it in during the shutdown process, in the middle of it).
Note sure why you would want to turn it off. There are more effective ways of saving energy - like walking instead of taking the car

This would probably indicate the charge never occurred overnight. From here we can speculate to the cause (whether it's a problem during shutdown or power up).
When device is charging the LED should flash orange, when fully charged LED should be constant green (this is for charging when device is ON - not sure whether there would be any difference if device is OFF - check manual).

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
I have the same problem , it happens once in a great while. what do you guys recomend i install and what should i be lookong for. . If the phone is off will it still tell me what o need tp know?

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
I have the same problem too. The phone goes off and the only way to turn it on is removing battery and inserting it back.

Dankx, have found any solution? i guess I'll have to uninstall all software and see if that solves the problem - if not I'll have to reflash.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Use your stylus, press and hold the on/off button: the device will start.
At least that works for me. Sometimes, my N900 shut itself off; still don't know why!

nhanquy, it's worse. When the phone goes off like this the clock alarm doesn't work and sometimes the clock time resets - I have to set the time after I start the device. It began approximately a month ago - never had this issue before

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
The power kernel allows phone to go into unstable 125 MHz. Did any of you install power kernel?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
The power kernel allows phone to go into unstable 125 MHz. Did any of you install power kernel?
No, I didn't

Well then, if I were you I'd install syslogd and wait for it to crash. Then, zip and upload the log (it's in /var/log/syslog). Wiki has all the instructions (the maemo wiki, not wikipedia).

We'll look through it.

Also, post result of

sp-oops-extract /dev/mtd2

instructions here http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...5#Installation

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your advice, here's the output of sp-oops-extract /dev/mtd2 (too much text to paste):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3396075/oops.log

I uninstalled most of the applications yesterday - to see if it helps.

I can't read the log but there's one thing that puzzled me - joikuspot module and process joikuspot_napt. I uninstalled Joikuspot long time ago (a year or so) it's not in the list of installed apps - is it just an old record?

I'll be grateful for any help.

OK. First, I must say that while a good admin, I am not a Linux user and only common components of OSs apply here. You WILL get better advice from a Linux power user.

Thus far, what I can recognize is this: Kernel not syncing means what BSOD is for Windows. Meaning, something crashed either in hardware (bad RAM, failed controllers) or in a driver (in you case, modules that run elevated) and the OS halted all writes to disk to keep it from getting (more) corrupted.

Stack trace seems to be in IEEE80211 (which is the segment responsible for wifi). Since at least once I saw a null being dereferenced, it's likely that something in the wifi has unexpected input. Since you have Joiku module loaded but the stuff uninstalled, I think it's a good bet that the listed module finds itself in an unexpected position, a missing value, function, variable.

You could try to kill the module (if memory serves, lsmod lists, rmmod removes). However, other daemons could insmode it back.

Politely, I'd try to install, reboot and uninstall Joikuspot. A later uninstaller could remove the module. If not, try to rmmod and delete module from disk to make sure it stays dead.

It is, however, entirely possible you could have a hardware issue. You can either reflash or, if you want, install BackupMenu, create an image and then reflash so you can go back on the reflash.

Again I say, limited understanding of Linux inner workings. Other people could guide you better. Though I'm quite sure rmmod and renaming joiku module is safe and undoable.

Have fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post: