Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
I could disassemble a PCB of one of my appliances and take a pic?

EDIT:
https://i.imgur.com/PsFi8js.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/27sdL6Q.jpg

Wow the camera quality is dogshit, it's on the level of my N900 if not only slightly better. The camera's software being garbage doesn't help either. (no shutter sound? wtf?!)
This is strange.

You are not the only person got the unit.

There is some software problems that can be improved with stock camera but I still think the camera is better than "dogshit"

I don't know what to say but you seem to got a different unit.

I can provide you full refund if needed to get back your dogshit product.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
This is strange.

You are not the only person got the unit.

There is some software problems that can be improved with stock camera but I still think the camera is better than "dogshit"

I don't know what to say but you seem to got a different unit.

I can provide you full refund if needed to replace your dogshit product.
The Pro1 itself is awesome, but the software leaves much to be desired, especially coming from a old (and tweaked/modded to high holy hell!) device as the N900. I guess the fact that I have been using nothing but N900's since 2011 and knowing everything inside out doesn't help either. Sigh, back to my broken as fuarrrk and slow N900 it is.

Keep the money Chen, you deserve it. The Pro1 isn't for everyone and I guess i'm one of them. Don't let my harsh criticsm put you off.

EDIT: Maemo Leste would make this phone far better, if it ever comes out of beta/gets ported at all.

Last edited by Wasmachinemann-NL; 2019-11-23 at 21:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
From other photos I've seen I feel like it should do better though... Any settings changed? How much light does it have?

Edit: also opencamera is worth a try perhaps .
All stock settings, room light (two LED halogen replacements) on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
All stock settings, room light (two LED halogen replacements) on.
On any phone I'd either put on the phones flash or (preferably) get some diffuse lighting nearby the subject in such situation... Phones can only do so much with the tiny sensors that can fit them and I've not seen halogen replacements so far that provide really much light to speak of.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
To be honest, in the end ALL phone cameras are physically crap. The difference makes the software. Good cameras have a large sensor, Fullstop! (and a optic with more than one element)
Anyway I also own a N900. And the camera is definetely and without ANY doubt worse than the camera of the Pro1 (Even withe the Sailfish camera app). And I don't know any possibility to tune the camera of the N900. So it doesn't matter if the N900 is heavily modded, which mine is as well.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
I gave up on the Pro1 for now, boxed it up and placed it in my drawer. Maybe later when I don't feel like absolute **** (rl stuff) and the software has had some updates i'll take a look again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
I gave up on the Pro1 for now, boxed it up and placed it in my drawer. Maybe later when I don't feel like absolute **** (rl stuff) and the software has had some updates i'll take a look again.
Send it to me and accept full refund from Chen... I'll pay to Chen this, what You called dogshit, later... (maybe You are not worth it)

You know how to PM works...
--

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Wow the camera ... it's on the level of my N900 if not only slightly better. The camera's software being garbage doesn't help either. (no shutter sound? wtf?!)
I don't understand how camera (talking hardware) quality can be evaluated from a pcb picture where pcb is not perpendicular to camera axis, in low and warm light and mostly white background around it.

Light
The first crap to avoid to make/test pictures is LED. The color rendering is terrible, (exception to professional models).
Il misses wavelengths and exesses in other ones.

Camera
There are several distinct things we can test in a camera:
-luminosity (loss of light into the lens)
-sensibility (sensor asa)
-sharpness
-exposre measurement
-color rendering
-vignetting (in color, contrast, brightness)
-deformation
-sensibility to flairs

So what are we evaluating with these pcb pics?

First picture:
It looks to me that the first one is quiet sharp on the lower part but seems overall unsharp for two possible reasons:
-moved because the exposure time had to be long because of the miss of light, so a tiny move makes it unsharp.
-Out of focus as the focus seems to be near of the camera, the rest of the subject going out of the depth of field because more far from the cam. The more you are close, the less depth of field (sharpness zone size) you have.

Second picture:
Totally moved or out of focus.

Both:
Both seem a bit underexposed. Depending of how exposure is calculated, a big piece of white in the picture tends to make the camera underexpose to compensate the big amount of white. Resulting in an underexposition of the rest of the subject.
Color balance is strange. The depron foam should look white but it seems white-orange. Maybe the leds or wb on "day".

A camera quality must be evaluated on a whole bunch of several different and widely variated tests. Not only (but why not also) fast fast fast under a bad, a trap, light condition.

I'm not saying the camera is good or bad but I think it'd deserve a more deep test before concluding anything.
It's new, give it a chance!
The crew behind the camera also deserve patience, rigorous tests and understanding of their choices.

Also, what do we want? Honest rendering or totally fake-and-always-beautyfull-more-than-real standardized rendering like most devices seem to do nowadays?

About the n900 cam:
I use it a lot and "developped" pics into darktable. Most of the time starting from raw format. I love it, but it almost doesn't deserve the name of camera.
Is is a real... hmm.. not so perfect piece of hardware. Just look at the huge awfull vignetting almost uncorrectable because not only brightness changes but also big color and contrast shift, the more you go to the broders of pic.

Once again. Until I'll see raw neutral interpretation of the images, compared to the same scene with another cam in raw, I'll not make my mind on this cam.

I'd love dogs to leave rather that kind of things in my street!

Last edited by ric9K; 2019-11-23 at 22:54.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Same as @catbus, I'll be happy to get your "dogshit" Pro1 and arrange us with Chen for refunding you, especially since it looks like I'll not receive mine before the end of december.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Not related with the comments, I spent this afternoon in Seville Spain. And this is such a beautiful place. Especially it's been a raining season in London.

Just wanted to share the photos I took with Pro1 this afternoon. All unedited.

I do see many points needs to be improved, and hopefully get better with time...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWzaVNDjLPpesB2f9

PS: Please forgive me using Google photos to share... 8-)

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit