Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Brasov, Romania
Hello all,
I would like to know if it is possible to make the N900 a WiFi / WiFi HotSpot.
I read a lot of posts about this feature request but none from what I read offers a reliable / doable solution for this (I might skipped unintentinally some posts so please, if you find relevant information on this, feel free to contribute, and link to those posts if you feel to do so). I felt the need of specifying this because I don't want to write Yet Another Post About This as there are quite a few about it. Now my problem:

I'll divide this post on several parts for the ease of reading:

1) Motivation:
- PROS: Sometimes, I need to connect all my gadgets (smartphone, tablet etc) to the Internet. I wish to do that through the N900 WiFi connection, because I don't want every time to setup each of my gagets individually for every new WiFi connection I find with: SSID, username, passwords etc.
Instead, I setup only one WiFi connection on each of the gadgets, that would be N900, and on N900 I setup only one current WiFi, and voila! I will allways have on my gadgets the N900 connection which allows all my gadgets to get internet through N900.
-CONS: A lot of power drained from the N900 (that's still doable with an Y cable and a charger). I don't mind about power drain, If it holds for a few hours while I finish the urgent need to Internet Connection, that's fine.

2) Requirements:
- What do I need in order to do this? Which packages, which kernel, what hardware: what cables, which USB stick (and drivers) should I purchase to be supported by power user 51 kernel (as that is the kernel I'm in right now).

3) Implementation:
- What exactly has to be done to achieve this, and then, how can it be narrowed down to a script or even a standalone app for others to use at ease.

4) Mentions:
- I'll update this post along with the new info that comes in, to reflect all that needs to be done to achieve a N900 WiFi / WiFi HotSpot.

5) Useful related posts:
- Qt Mobile Hotspot
- N900 USB router

Thanks in advance to contributors.

Last edited by ChiefRA; 2013-03-01 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChiefRA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
You only need to install MobileHotSpot (NOT QTMobileHotspot).

http://maemo.org/packages/view/mobilehotspot/

Obviously you only provide ad-hoc WLAN, but that's OK at least for most computers and iPad (I once saved a colleague's iPad with this). Android is known for not supporting (properly/always?) ad-hoc, but I have absolutely zero experience with Android.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I use Mobile hotspot all the time but only my laptop will connect. My nexus s and raspberry pi won't but all will connect through the nexus s as a hotspot. I don't know enough to offer an explanation for this.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
king Ralphred,

Thats because those devices unable to connect don't support connecting to Ad-Hoc WiFi networks out of the box. The nexus S OTOH shares a hotspot via infrastructure mode not Ad-Hoc hence its visible to all devices. For the nexus S to connect to the N900's hotspot there is a tweak on xda that enables Ad-Hoc connectivity. For the Pi I'm not too sure as unfortunately I haven't got my hands on one yet...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
There is a commercial option that I use that allows both ad-hoc and AP hosting: JoikuSpot, You should be able to still purchase it from the vendor directly (~$12), as they have their own repository.

It sometimes takes a whack to get it working (eg manually loading the joikuspot_bouncer module), depending on the kernel you install. But overall, I've found it to be quite reliable and trouble free. The dozen or so times I've used it, it's been click and connect.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Are you sure?
I always had trouble to get MobileHotSpot up and running.
With QT MHS it was much eeasier (the one or two times I needed it).

Android is known for not supporting (properly/always?) ad-hoc, but I have absolutely zero experience with Android.
Mee too!
And you are right about Android not supporting ad-hoc (tested with Symbian device).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Are you sure?
I always had trouble to get MobileHotSpot up and running.
With QT MHS it was much eeasier (the one or two times I needed it).
I've never tried QTMHS but MHS has always -- although I've only used it 4 or 5 times -- worked as expected (it requires kernel-power, but I guess QTMHS does as well).

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
I would also recommand QT Mobile Hotspot, it is the only solution i found which is working fine on my N900.
I was never able to make the normal Mobile Hostpot to run.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Brasov, Romania

http://maemo.org/packages/view/mobilehotspot/

Obviously you only provide ad-hoc WLAN, but that's OK at least for most computers and iPad (I once saved a colleague's iPad with this). Android is known for not supporting (properly/always?) ad-hoc, but I have absolutely zero experience with Android.
Thanks reinob and all others. My problem so far is to get a WiFi USB stick to be recognized by N900 when I connect it through microUSB port. I've tried with a Hercules WiFi but unsuccesfull so far, it's not recognized by H-E-N. Should I try another software?

Any reccomendations on which type/model should I purchase in order to have the drivers included?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Que?

What are you trying to say? You want to get a USB WiFi stick to work with Maemo? I would not believe this is supported, even by power kernel. But this is out of my knowledge. Someone else ???

And if so, for what reason?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: