Active Topics

Here is a thorough comparison between the two Nokia handsets, N9 which is completely in-house developed vs Lumia 800, based on collaboration between Nokia and MS.

Do you think it was worth it for Nokia to have dumped their own proprietary OS for MS's WP?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saDc_sPt4SY

The Lumia seems faster and sleeker and that people hub looks quite nice and better then N9's notification thingy.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
I don't see anything worth loosing my ideals... But that's me, I appreciate Ideology A LOT...
And I don't like capacitive touch screens... I stick to N900... If it dies, I would rather get N9 or a Netbook+Dumbphone...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
OMG this first pic on N9 photo gallery at 6.38mn

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtergens For This Useful Post:
Nice review, I still don't like the WP7 UI though. Who thought it would be a good idea to have half of the fonts falling off the screen of the app you are in and then for some tasks have the next application screen pushing onto the one you are working in?

If looking like the screen resolution in all messed up counts as good design these days, then be grateful I don't work as a GUI Dev.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Nice review, I still don't like the WP7 UI though. Who thought it would be a good idea to have half of the fonts falling off the screen of the app you are in and then for some tasks have the next application screen pushing onto the one you are working in?

If looking like the screen resolution in all messed up counts as good design these days, then be grateful I don't work as a GUI Dev.
That's the main reason why WP7 is fast. Tricking the phone into thinking it is of a lower resolution and just has the text transition together with 10x10 resolution photos. Have you tried scrolling on a WP just to see how much resolution is lost solely during that act?

I got a say i really do like the Swipe UI. Also i think their idea to make sleek and fast UI is something i fully support. Loved the Zune UI, the first device using Metro UX long before Windows Phone came out.
WP is a strong contender to be the next OS for me. Only thing missing is addition of some functions and better hardware, something i have to wait till mid next year when Apollo comes out.

While waiting that i will keep my N9 and get either Lumia 800 or some Android device to test how Android has been doing since the not so good experience with GS.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
I use Mango and it is really snappy and fast, the phone I got it on is the Dell Venue Pro which also has a curved glass display and that screen is wow the only two things that suck besides having to jailbreak via microsoft is no bluetooth filesharing and on this phone the camera is the worst camera I ever had in my life! Other than that, the fb/hotmail/skydrive/twitter integration is awesome, I connect to wifi and everything syncs. It's pretty cool. I believe microsoft did a couple lil things that kina sucks but the speed u get from these things that seem weird makes up for it. Like I would love active multitasking, but then they might need more ram and a better processor ? idk not too sure so they use that pause the app thing which works well for me.

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

Originally Posted by RenaldoTT View Post
I use Mango and it is really snappy and fast, the phone I got it on is the Dell Venue Pro which also has a curved glass display and that screen is wow the only two things that suck besides having to jailbreak via microsoft is no bluetooth filesharing and on this phone the camera is the worst camera I ever had in my life! Other than that, the fb/hotmail/skydrive/twitter integration is awesome, I connect to wifi and everything syncs. It's pretty cool. I believe microsoft did a couple lil things that kina sucks but the speed u get from these things that seem weird makes up for it. Like I would love active multitasking, but then they might need more ram and a better processor ? idk not too sure so they use that pause the app thing which works well for me.
I had a Mango in my hands for a week, and I could't find a way to have tone down the keyboard sound without also making ringing sound quieter. Can you say is it really not possible, eg. only one volume slider systemwide?

Personally I disliked how difficult it was to make actual phone calls with it (amount of clicks you had to make around the screen).

I liked the speed and smoothness. Task switcher was okay.

FB integration seemed good, although too over invasive. Suddenly all screens were full of all kinds of updates from facebook.

Overall I think after some idiotic design issues are ironed out I think I might buy Windows Phone for my parents; it is that easy to intake.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
You can turn off the keyboard sounds dude. I did after a couple hours after using the thing. The phone calls are kina iffy, but lets not make it sound like a million things to press, it's just the phone app, search ur contact, and press the words call contact but yea fb is invasive but so much that even though in my society it is normal for people to be up in your bussiness, more so myself, I still felt bad just being able to see almost all of people's content, even stuff I don't usually see on their fb profiles I was now seeing on my phone.

I miss my N900
Hello DELL Venue Pro Mango
Listen to my music >>> www.reverbnation.com/rrule

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

The Following User Says Thank You to RenaldoTT For This Useful Post:

Tags
alcatraz, elopism, lumia 800, nokia n9, windowz