Hi, with all the bad news going around Nokia, me and Mike Bradshaw (also been around the Maemo scene) decided to do something positive. We both come from a startup entrepreneur background and if you think about it, this is truly an opportunity for Nokians to become entrepreneurs (much as Jolla already has done).

So to facilitate that, we are doing a 'Burning Platform Expedition'. Ie. visiting every town and city in Finland that has or used to have a Nokia office, and towing an authentic 1.7 tonne sauna behind us (the burning paltform ), behind a Land Rover Defender.

At each location we will be collecting ideas from people thinking about setting up companies, and offering advice and sharing experience in the ups and downs of being a startup entrepreneur. Plus, of course, offering the use of the sauna. As any Finns knows, that is the best place, by far, to form new teams, ideas and contacts.

The best ideas will be fastforwarded into the famous StartupSauna incubator. We're also collaborating with local entrepreneurship societies around Finland.

We're desperately under budget at the moment, so are eagerly looking for companies who'd like to get a bit of visibility (either for recruitment or other purposes), and we have packages for all sizes of companies. Please do get in touch. We have yet to sign the main tour sponsor!

You can also support us through our online support shop: https://holvi.com/shop/BurningPlatform/

Every bit counts. Yes, even the €5 donuts!

The tour starts on the 20th of August from Ruoholahti, Helsinki. You can follow the tour and find full dates from our blog (where we have also documented previous entrepreneurial expeditions): The Travelling Salesman Blog.

We're also on Twitter (@TrvlingSalesman) and Facebook.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post:
I'm burning up with Jelly right now!

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I'm burning up with Jelly right now!
Ehm, OK?

Mind explaining?

The Following User Says Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Jelly=Jealous or jealousy
You jelly I understood it first?

Jealous of you, that you are having a neat vacation.... with a friggin mobile sauna!

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Jealous of you, that you are having a neat vacation.... with a friggin mobile sauna!
Ah, indeed Unfortunately, having done a few of these expeditions before, they are far from time off! You're running events every day, contacting people, trying to get sponsors so you can actually reach the next location before fuel runs out... Oh, and just when you finally arrive at wherever you plan to sleep (hopefully you have the funds for a hotel), and you fall into bed, you remember that you need to write a blog post!

It's great stuff, but it is exhausting and you pretty much need a break afterwards

But hey, support us with a donut or some firewood, and it's almost as good as being on board!

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Sounds awesome.

Can I come?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
dumpystig, sure, there is still space in the Landy

So you want me to pay you money to cruise around Finland in a luxury vehicle, only stopping to hang out in a sauna.

I think I shall pass.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So you want me to pay you money to cruise around Finland in a luxury vehicle, only stopping to hang out in a sauna.

I think I shall pass.
This must be the first time a Defender has been described as a "luxury vehicle".

But thanks for taking the time to think about it.
The idea/purpose behind the support is to cover the costs (fuel, servicing etc). If there is some extra after that, we will be spending it on luxuries such as indoor sleep places, food etc.
With the money raised so far, we can just about cover the cost of fuel, but will be sleeping by the side of the road (the sauna benches are just a bit too narrow to make suitable beds).

Do not under-estimate how much work it is to do this. The amount of driving, interacting with folks, remembering stories, capturing photos and videos, uploading, writing blog posts, etc.
I am not saying that it is not fun at the same time, it is

As Kristoffer mentioned, the inspiration is to help those folks who have recently received some devastating news about their jobs/future.
Also, we believe that wee can give them something positive to think about, and for those that have not received similar levels of publicity as Jolla, then this makes a good story for the media (and so gives the other companies more media exposure).

/mike