Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
I am very happy.

I was the first person in the world to have the N900 commercially. my USB port broke last week. i took my phone to a nokia service center, i showed them the nokia announcement that its an official fault. they requested from nokia head office to allow my phone be repair since its a overseas model i won from headoffice Finland which was approved.

they gave me a brand new N900 in two days with 12months warranty wohhooooooo

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Denmark
Mine broke last week. THey are fixing it under warranty. long repair proces though. Getting a phone back with new mother board should make it an easier sell

Hey me! Welcome to the club!
shitshitshitshitshit!
And from what I've heard, they'll most probably change the mainboard or the whole device and I have no way of copying the stuff from emmc, cos the connector is broken
At least I have my backup on the memory card.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by HammY View Post
I'd agree - time for a fresh new poll. I too voted no problems and then subsequently had the USB socket fail. Local Nokia repair shop re-soldered for 25UKP. I must file down the lugs on the plugs !!!
wish granted: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...-do-something/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
I received the same message the same day Nokia US repair center received my phone from UPS. That's pretty fast turn-around so far.

My story is after about 8 months my n900 stopped being charged by the wall charger; only the PC USB connection charged it. I held onto it for about a week and reflashed it just to make sure it wasn't software related and this didn't help, but I also noticed my PC USB connection started getting very sensitive (disconnecting/connecting if I bumped the device) so I sent it in for repair (under warranty) before it totally failed.

Does anyone know if they send out brand new devices in this scenario or are they actually refurbished?
I believe they send out refurbished units most of the time but if you are lucky you may receive a new one.

Was your usb port loose at all?

Mine is rock solid but will not charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The best way to make it unlikely to happen is not to charge the tablet using the USB port. This means to charge the batteries using an external charger, which I would guess mean much less usage of the port -- you only need to use it when you would be flashing or transferring data directly. Most heavy users of the N900 recharge every day or two, or hundreds of times a year, I would say.

Every use of that port makes it more likely that the problem will occur.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
I believe they send out refurbished units most of the time but if you are lucky you may receive a new one.

Was your usb port loose at all?

Mine is rock solid but will not charge.
At first it seemed solid but appeared to get looser as the week went on, but I suspect I was putting more force on the socket trying to find an angle for the plug that would get a charge.

Well i took my N900 to my local nokia repair center, they inspected it there and then and found the usb is at fault but the good news is the pads haven't ripped away from the board the bad news is that it needs to be sent away for some special solder work. so i took it back with me to make sure i back up all my details and delete all private info then i will drop it off on Tuesday 21st.

They said once i drop it off it should be away for about 7-10 days (i expect about 3 weeks).

This means i will have to go back to my n96 which isn't all that bad bud i have a habit of pressing the screen. Doh !!

I will keep you posted on the outcome.

This is my 3rd post in this thread.

Yes, my third handset has broken.

I've complained to Nokia, asked for a refund. Taking to the care shop tomorrow, selling it for a Desire as soon as I get it back.

I would have thought they'd of fixed it with the later models.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The best way to make it unlikely to happen is not to charge the tablet using the USB port. This means to charge the batteries using an external charger, which I would guess mean much less usage of the port -- you only need to use it when you would be flashing or transferring data directly. Most heavy users of the N900 recharge every day or two, or hundreds of times a year, I would say.

Every use of that port makes it more likely that the problem will occur.
Is the N900 your first phone?

If not, did you use any other phone in a similar manner?

Will you use your next phone in such a way?

Why is it that no one else in the world is using this method?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty