Poll: Are you happy with N900 frame/hardware quality?
Poll Options
Are you happy with N900 frame/hardware quality?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Mine had the same problem as well, the front part of the bezel doesn't clicks into place very well. I cut a very thin strip of double sided tape and drop it in between the gap and it looks perfect right now. Can't even notice the tape even if i look very closely.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged into this thread:
  • "Is this bit loose on your N900?" with seventeen posts
  • "N900 Defective Keyboard Finish" with seven posts

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-01-28 at 21:13. Reason: adding information on second merge

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hastings, East Sussex, UK
One thing that annoys me is a squeak when opening and closing the slider, other than that all seems pretty solid.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Mine creeks near the midpoint of the phone, right below the keyboard. I have a suspicion it isn't very strong and it might snap. Also, pressing the space bar doesn't seem very solid as well. Nokia is really good about warranty repairs though. I'll probably let it ride for a couple months if it lasts that long, play a lot of keyboard mashing games, and then have Nokia repair it.

Last edited by davetech; 2010-01-28 at 21:47.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Didn't meant that in an offensiv way. A device with a price of at least 600 € should be flawless imho and hardware failures like that are not acceptable.

Maybe this thread should also be moved:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42401

Originally Posted by davetech View Post
Mine creeks near the midpoint of the phone, right below the keyboard. I have a suspicion it isn't very strong and it might snap. Also, pressing the space bar doesn't seem very solid as well. Nokia is really good about warranty repairs though. I'll probably let it ride for a couple months if it lasts that long, play a lot of keyboard mashing games, and then have Nokia repair it.
Hmmm will they repair it for free after a couple o months? German law says that after six month of using the buyer needs to proof that thew mistake was there from the beginning....

Originally Posted by Blaxe View Post
Hmmm will they repair it for free after a couple o months? German law says that after six month of using the buyer needs to proof that thew mistake was there from the beginning....
I don't know about Germany, but in the United States the warranty procedure was pretty straightforward. I called them and told them the problems I was having, I sent them just the phone (battery cover, SD card, etc is not needed), and they sent it back with new parts installed. They paid for shipping both ways so it cost me nothing other than driving to drop off the package.

Besides, if Nokia's new batch of N900s have a new keyboard and trim installed from the factory as a previous post seems to indicate, then it would occur to me that Nokia is aware of the problem being there from the beginning and should fix it for free.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Blaxe View Post
Maybe this thread should also be moved...
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one! The thread "Gap between case?" with four posts has been merged into this thread.

Just make sure you did not buy the N900 knock-off from China (with dual sim card, etc).

Tags
broken, gap, hardware, hardware keyboard, keyboard, keyboard problem, keyboard quality, keyboard surround, loose, n900, problem