There's no comparison here.
Full linux experience in Sailfish terminal is way superior than Android's bionic and patches on patches on patches with chroots.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
1. Updates <-- Use any custom rom if updates are not coming anymore
2. No privacy harmed <-- Use XPrivacy
3. Not crammed with bloatware: choose what you want (fair) <-- Root, and you can uninstall everything you want
4. Root access <-- You can root Android devices as well
5. Where are the advertisements? <-- Root, and you can remove all ads, even inside apps.
6. Not willing to pay a company's 70% profitmargin for harming your privacy, cramming it with bloatware and adds. <-- See all the points above.
7 (possible) android support through Alien Dalvik. <-- Native Android support, instead of half working dalvik.
1. Only if you bought a super duper expensive and popular device which is guaranteed to have a large community behind it. There's still one guy who has been making custom ROMs for my Android tablet for the past six years, but not everyone is that lucky. Even then, you put a whole lot of trust in some random nobody developer on xda-forums ("hello guys I made a new ROM, check it out, right now it doesn't boot though, I also won't show you the source code or the changes I did"). That said I don't think this is that good of a point anyway if you look at how long it takes for Sailfish updates to arrive on the Aqua Fish, but maybe that just has to do with Intex being a terrible company.
2. I'd rather not have to install patches just so my device has a smaller chance of spying on me.
3. Same as 1, you can only get root access to super popular devices because no one bothers with the rest. The only way to get root access is by looking for and abusing a security exploit. Wonderful!
4. Same as 3.
5. Same as 3.
6. Google is an advertising company, you are the product.
7. The only Android applications I've heard of that don't work properly with Alien Dalvik are those that have a hard dependency on the malware Google Play Services, which also don't work on any Android system without Google's proprietary malware. What a coincidence! Besides, the point is that you can run Sailfish, regular GNU/Linux and possibly Android applications, instead of exclusively Android applications and the occasional GNU/Linux application someone bothered to port. Which you can also only use if your device is rooted.

Having to exploit security loopholes to be able to do anything at all... Maybe it floats your boat.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by eson View Post
Exactly how did you do that? I can't get the commands right. I'm stuck on...
Code:
[root@Sailfish nmap]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
https://github.com/nmap/nmap#installing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Seeing someone equating the UI with the OS makes me feel sad

Blame Jolla for that. They themselves describe the gestures as being part of the OS on sailfishos.org

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
[QUOTE=eson;1528471]Exactly how did you do that? I can't get the commands right. I'm stuck on...
Code:
[root@Sailfish nmap]# make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
this is all I did;

3292 git clone https://github.com/nmap/nmap.git
3293 cd nmap/
3294 ls
3295 cat README.md
3296 ./configure
3297 make
3298 devel-su

and then 'make install' as root.
It is possible it needs some tools of the make family installed, some that I have set up long long ago already...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It is possible it needs some tools of the make family installed, some that I have set up long long ago already...
I did the same but can't make it work here. Do I need cmake?

Edit:
Ok... got it. I recently did factory reset, so all my compile stuff was gone. Had to install gcc again. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

Last edited by eson; 2017-05-28 at 11:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Time goes slow while waiting for the release...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Time goes slow while waiting for the release...
Yes, that's why we try to break our system with all kinds of **** we don't need.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Yep.. just made my own on click backup / restore with ssh keys and authorized_keys command restriction. Just because.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Sony narrows focus, will phase out its 'Premium Standard' range of smartphones

This seems to include the Xperia X and Xperia X Compact. I have no idea how this will affect Jolla's sailfish plans.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x