Notices

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yes, GStreamer is a complete (...), or send commands to change its behavior. I have access to all the same parameters, I just need to make those parameters available to you (in some form).
Thanks a lot for patiently explaining how gstreamer works, it's much easier to understand now And yes, your approach sounds much better in the middle and long run.

I'll see about adding controls as I go. I could probably re-use Pierogi's "endless panel" mechanism here to provide every last detail of every last element, if you'd like...
Yes, yes, yes! Please do such fine-grain control for tuning things is a tweaker heaven, and if Pierogi's implementation could be re-used (meaning less work for you), it just sounds great.

along with an "Auto" mode, which apparently chooses the mode that most closely matches the audio source). And, they've also got a separate "Quality" parameter, with an integer value ranging from 0 to 10. Anyway, I'll see if I can make these parameters available...
Heh, speex evolved much since I've last checked it docs. I don't know how well auto mode work in practice (for example, if background noise doesn't cheat it to use wider frequency than necessary for main target), but if it's OK, it sounds like good default choice?

And yes, I was just to report than upon recording with speex, I got .aac with .spx extension Good that you're already aware of it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Just a quick udpate: I've put a .deb file for Orecchiette 0.0.2 onto the first post. The main change this time is that I've added an "Input and Output Combined" option to the audio stream selector. I was hoping that Orecchiette would be able to automatically detect when a phone call was occurring, but it looks like that's going to take more research than I had anticipated. Until I manage to do that, you can still record phone calls by choosing the "combined" option and just pressing the "record" button yourself to start the recording. (You'll still be able to use the Pause and Stop buttons to control the recording.)

In other news, I fixed the bug in the encoding selection UI. Unfortunately, now that I'm actually testing all the different encoding options, I'm finding that I'm only getting good results from AAC and WAV; the Flac and Speex options are resulting in corrupted data files. I've gone ahead and disabled those two until I can figure out what's going wrong...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Well, hmm. How big of a picture are we talking here?

For me, the one thing that has been my best guide for developing on the N900 has to be the Qt SDK. As an SDK, it isn't perfect, and has a lot more rough edges than you'll find in commercial SDKs, but man is it just chock full of useful stuff. Documentation, example code, the works.

(I should note that Qt 4.7 was the last version that had explicit support for Maemo. I think Qt 4.8 can still build Maemo executables, but you'll probably want to stay away from Qt 5.0 and greater...)

Another enormous advantage for developing on the N900 -- there's a huge library of high-quality open-source code available. You can learn a lot by just grabbing an app that you like, opening up its source code, and working your way through it.

I should say, if you don't already have a background in writing code, it might be helpful to first work your way through an "introduction to programming" book or website. Having at least a general idea of what a line of code can and cannot do can be a great help in understanding what folks are doing in their code, and why...
Thank you very much, Copernicus. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I just wanted to thank you and say that yes, I know how to code, but it's the big picture that I find confusing. Maybe I need patience.

I'll probably start a thread in the Development section within the next few days asking more specific questions, as I don't want to hijack this thread.

I'll take a look at the Qt SDK, thank you. And now... to install Orecchiette (and the last version of Lanterne). Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Not had much time to play with Orecchiette, it's not the sort of thing I would personally use all the time.

However one quick comment would be that it maybe handy to use UTC style timestamps for filenames.
This way I wouldn't have to play each file to know what I recorded and when.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Actually, I was going to suggest something similar as sixwheeledbeast. Recaller does that although it does it in a silly way (phone number first, which means makes mess in sorting by name). I was going to suggest the format YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-phoneno.aac (where the 'phoneno' part is skipped if phone number not available) or, even better, make it configurable via a format string.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I went ahead and just did the simple Recording_# mechanism because Recaller's file naming scheme just looked way too awkward, and I wasn't coming up with anything that was much better.

I think the "configurable" option is best, as filenames with this level of complexity are never going to work for everybody. Let me see what I can do...

Also, using GStreamer, I should have access to the "tag" information inside the header of each audio file. (Tags are the info you see when you play an audio file in Media Player or other media applications, such as "Title", "Artist", etc.) I'm hoping I can shove meta-data such as "phone number" into the tags, and therefore avoid using it in the file name.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Phantastic!

Another feature request I was thinking about. This is a n "all-purpose audio recording app", right? Not just to record phone calls. So... how about a feature to manipulate the recording. Nothing fancy: cut and splice would do nicely to start with. Oh, and a very basic "oscilloscope" style visualization á la Sound Recorder in Windows XP would be nice but I know I am asking too much

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I played around with Orecchiette for a while and found few things maybe worth noting. First I could not get the AAC recording to work. It onle recorded two clicks and nothing else. Only after I tested the wav recording I got the AAC to work. Then I shut down the app and restarted it. Same problem, but this time I did not even record with WAV, I only chose it and switched it back AAC and got it working. So I think that the chosen codec at startup is somehow empy, but it shows AAC, and after real selection is made, codec is chosen and the app starts to use it.

Other thing I noticed is that if I adjust the output volume to zero (muted) the output is no longer recorded. The output volume does not have other effects on the recording only the mute.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kossuth For This Useful Post:
I'm hoping I can shove meta-data such as "phone number" into the tags, and therefore avoid using it in the file name.
While idea with tags is great in itself, please allow to still put phone number into filename (via configurable string) - for some people, like me, who mostly browse recorded files via terminal, it makes life much easier.

/Estel

// Edit

I'm not sure i Kossuth's description was clear enough - the point is, that changing volume via hardware volume rockers doesn't affect volume during recording (as expected, it would be silly to have it otherwise), but once we bash those volume rockers 'till output volume hits 0, recording get muted too, suddenly. It's probably related to how Maemo handle silenced phone? IDK if there is a way to go around it?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
how about a feature to manipulate the recording. Nothing fancy: cut and splice would do nicely to start with.
Hmm, I think that's actually straying a bit away from "recording" and more towards "editing". I'll take a look at it; but I think I'd prefer to place something like that into a different pasta...

Oh, and a very basic "oscilloscope" style visualization á la Sound Recorder in Windows XP would be nice but I know I am asking too much
Actually, I think I saw something like that in the "Babyphone" app. I'm kinda nervous about how much more pressure it would place on the CPU, though... I'll take a look.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording