Active Topics

I have been a happy owner of an N800 since Jan 7, and enjoying having it every time I use it. However, I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and like the idea of having a 770 also. That said, I don't feel the need to spend almost 300 dollars on a device that is slower, smaller (ram/flash), and more limiting than the device I already have. But...with CompUSA closing stores, it seems I might be able to pick up a 770 for cheap...definitely cheaper than average street price. The only problem with that plan is that I'd have to drive 250-300 miles to get to an area with stores that are closing (Chicago or Minneapolis) So, given all that, to you owners of both devices, I pose the question: Is there a good reason to try and find a 770, to supplement my N800?

Originally Posted by mlindholm View Post
I have been a happy owner of an N800 since Jan 7, and enjoying having it every time I use it. However, I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and like the idea of having a 770 also. That said, I don't feel the need to spend almost 300 dollars on a device that is slower, smaller (ram/flash), and more limiting than the device I already have. But...with CompUSA closing stores, it seems I might be able to pick up a 770 for cheap...definitely cheaper than average street price. The only problem with that plan is that I'd have to drive 250-300 miles to get to an area with stores that are closing (Chicago or Minneapolis) So, given all that, to you owners of both devices, I pose the question: Is there a good reason to try and find a 770, to supplement my N800?
Not really, unless you can get it for around 150 $ - as support for 2006 OS was dropped the 770 is pretty much out of the picture. Maybe if they went full open source ... otherwise you'ld be better saving your money for the N900, as the N800 may not have a lot to live ...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It depends on what you want to do with the 770. My old 770 serves me well as an E-book-Reader (FBReader), media player (Canola, Nokia media player), car navigation system (Navicore), and photo viewer (Obscura). It's the perfect system for this kind of stuff; better suited than the N800 IMHO.

Well, that is a big reason I'm holding back...I don't really have a good reason to get a 770, as I don't see it replacing my N800. There were some features of the 770 I wish the N800 had, specifically the rectangular edge profile, and the stock hard cover. Unfortunately, to get those, I'd be sacrificing speed, RAM, and storage expandability. (I'd be giving up the camera too, but I don't consider that a sacrifice )

The main reason I want to get a 770, is the 1.5 years of 3rd party software development that it has going for it. Lately I'm running into issues with my N800 trying to hack around with BT PAN and my HTC S620, an issue that the 770 has a nice wiki writeup on maemo.org about. Complicating this problem, is having to deal with BusyBox, and it's lack of compiled-in apps/support (ping anyone?!) Fixable, sure, but not helped by me not being a programmer or Linux hacker. So yeah, I wonder sometimes if I'd be better served with adding a 770 to my collection.

No answer for you on whether it is worth it or not, but CompUSA in Woodbury (eastern St. Paul, MN Suburb) had three 770s last Friday. No nokia tablets at the Roseville or Edina stores.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Maybe because the 770 is a bit smaller and has a hard cover its better for taking it with you in your pocket. Also, as it is the "old" device, you will not matter that much if it does break on one of these occasions.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
i read another n800 user has gotten PAN up and running with his S620.

edit: oh wait, that was you! ha! so you didn't get PAN up and running with the n800? The one on the 770 isn't that more elegant of a solution. I've yet to figure out how to incorporate the connection manager to run the connect/disconnect script. so everytime I connect and disconnect I have to open up an xterm session

Last edited by phi; 2007-04-09 at 20:47.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Los Angeles
Since I switched over to n800 I flashed on the 2007 hacker edition to my 770 and gave it to my brother to dink around. It still works fine as a fbreader, maemo mapper, and vncviewer. Mine was well loved (aka used) but the slider cover keeps the screen pretty well unscratched. $200 for a new unit would be the most I'd pay but only if you see yourself actually needing it.

yeah if you can get it for $50

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I'd pay about $150 for another 770...if my current one died.
3pm - So good, it's illegal