Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
here's a thought related to your other post... I wonder if we could use a different ROM image file for GVM? Not likely, it looks like this one has special hooks and is trimmed down for reasons.
Yeah, I thought about the same and I concluded the same.. it seems to be a ROM specially made for the Garnet virtual machine.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
I'm using Garnet VM on a 770 running OS2006...49-2, and also Palm Desktop 4.1 with network HotSynch installed.

The OS on the PC is Win95 OSR2, so shoot me. I like my old IBM IntelliStations. :-)

Anyway... I can use pTelnet and EZftp in the VM, so I know its network stack is functional over a Wifi connection, but the VM's hotsynch doesn't appear to see my copy of Palm Desktop running on a local 192.168.x.x address. The other two clients see it fine.

Is Palm Desktop 4.1 too old to work with this? :-( I have a few Palm IIIc's lying around, and that's the newest version of Desktop that I have installed.

My main desire is to get the address book, calendar, and Todo stuff from my Palms into the VM. Everything else seems to be transferrable via MaemoFTP and VM's "install" function.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
@rsteiner
Hmmm, not sure - I don't have nearly the same setup. You can download the most recent desktop software from Palm (at least you used to be able to) - you could give that a try?

BTW I have pretty much given up on the GVM stuff. Hotsync always fails as soon as I try and load some large Bible files in GVM. It will reset my whole GVM environment and go back to no apps and no data installed - very frustrating (even if I load them all by hand!). The files are Laridian files for NIVSB and NAS with Greek and Hebrew x-ref info. I think I have hotsync'd successfully maybe twice (out of 20 times) but then I get resets and have start all over ...arrrg! These files also have associated notes and high-lites and are the main reason I wanted to use GVM. Oh well

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
@rsteiner
Hmmm, not sure - I don't have nearly the same setup. You can download the most recent desktop software from Palm (at least you used to be able to) - you could give that a try?
Yeah, I can try that sometime soon.

BTW, you can copy the files from ~/.gvm to an mmc card to back up the GVM memory image and icon desktop. Copying those files back will recover things if it decides to reset itself. That saves a lot of time. I have something like 30 games and apps installed on my GVM now, and reinstalling those one at a time got really really old. Now I don't care if it resets.

I use mc (Midnight Commander) in osso xterm to copy the files; it seems to work very well under OS2006, anyway, and is even stylus-friendly (common file operations and pulldowns can be done in the mc port with the stylus directly).

The above screenshot appears to predate my GVM installation, though. Heh. It's there now. Really!

Last edited by rcsteiner; 2007-12-13 at 22:32.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Hotsync should set the name itself.
Agreed: it should. However, it doesn't.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Do those of you who are successfully syncing GarnetVM with HotSync on Window have both your N800 and your Windows computer in the same subnet? GarnetVM can't connect to my Windows desktop at work, and I'm trying to figure out why.
Mine were. I could successfully initiate a network hotsync from the n810 every time, but the n810 would disconnect somewhere in the middle every time.

The Following User Says Thank You to bblackmoor For This Useful Post:
[hotsync should set name]
Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
Agreed: it should. However, it doesn't.
I haven't tried hotsyncing (I don't hotsync my Palm normally either), but others have reported success with this.
However, there's another method:

Start GVM directly from the command line, and specify your hotsync ID there: /usr/bin/gvm/gvm -u "your name:dddd" where dddd is your numeric ID (sometimes that value doesn't matter though). Then your session will be executed with that hotsync name. I've tried starting gvm this way with different IDs and FileZ tells me it works.
/usr/bin/gvm/gvm --help will show you all the options.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
The easiest method to add your Hotsync name to Garnet VM is installing an free app called changenamePRC worked for me. Just make sure your Hotsync name is properly aligned taking into account any spaces.

Website http://www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.php

Download here
http://www.mulliner.org/palm/changename.zip

Last edited by migs; 2008-01-28 at 21:14.

migs: See posting #2 above. ChangeName is _not_ safe to use with GVM. It mis-aligns the hotsync name. It's possible to fiddle with it to make it appear to be ok, but then you'll overwrite some part of the GVM image file. Nobody knows that that part does, but a hexdump of the image file shows that the mis-aligned characters (which will not be visible in the name shown by registrated apps or FileZ) are there, in the wrong place.

Hi: Newbie internet tablet user here. I'm also having troubles syncing with Garnet. I have an N810 and although it syncs, nothing shows on the N810. First it said that there wasn't enough room on the N810 now it just doesn't show any synced information. (I'm just looking to sync my datebook and addresses. How do you look in the gvm directory? Is it through xterm? I tried that to see the user name the N810 had and it said that permission was denied.

Tags
garnet, palm