IMO, this is what Nokia should have done when they formed Meego with Intel. This is a good news, but I hope it won't make CSSU lost the traction it's getting and becoming the new Mer...

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
IMO, this is what Nokia should have done when they formed Meego with Intel. This is a good news, but I hope it won't make CSSU lost the traction it's getting and becoming the new Mer...
CSSU has a reason to exist even with this. Most users will want CSSU instead of this, simply because it's closer to a proper experience/what features the phone had when they bought it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-03-05 at 18:33.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
CSSU has a reason to exist even with this. Most users will want CSSU instead of this, simply because it's closer to a proper experience.
Really? Because if past experience is any guide, most users will want this because it's the new shiny. After they install it, then they'll whine endlessly about how it's lacking features existing in Maemo or even new features that they think should be easy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
"N900 will be usable as a primary phone device for a developer/hacker person. This will not be something for regular end users. "

I wonder what does it mean? How Nokia describes "hacker"? Can someone with some GNU/Linux and Maemo background can use this release as a daily OS or is it "just for fun" release? If I try to slice Maemo community into pieces, I think of 3 people:

a) A is a Linux guru, he's one of Maemo stars, worked on many projects and is someone respected. He wants to use MeeGo to install a newer kernel on it, experiment something or develop an app for it.

b) B is a "power user", he doesn't know any programming language or a newbie about that, does have some GNU/Linux experience, knows how to follow a manual page and using XTerm at least. He wants to use MeeGo for daily purposes (Web,Phone,Multimedia..) but he also knows how to deal with bugs and understands that MeeGo is still very new and buggy.

c) C is an average user. He doesn't know anything about Linux, used some Maemo and his only intention is trying new apps, games and using it's N900 as a complete smartphone. (at least as capable as Maemo 5)

bonus d) D is an idiot. He always wants the best without paying for it, he always compares N900 to some other closed device, doesn't know/doesn't care about anything IT-related and whines about his device in a regular basis. Wants to use MeeGo as a lightsaber or something.
So, would Developer Edition make B (or maybe C?) happy or is it only for awesome people?
Maintaining: Audelicious | xmp

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
CSSU has a reason to exist even with this. Most users will want CSSU instead of this, simply because it's closer to a proper experience/what features the phone had when they bought it.
The only danger I can foresee is that the CSSU developers decide there is more for them, personnally, in developing for meego and so developement of the CSSU will then fall by the wayside, as they spend there spare time developing for meego on the N900.

I supose that is always the danger with a CSSU rather than a maunfactures supported updates.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
Can someone with some GNU/Linux and Maemo background can use this release as a daily OS or is it "just for fun" release? If I try to slice Maemo community into pieces, I think of 3 people:
(Types A, B, C, D in descending order of ability)
So, would Developer Edition make B (or maybe C?) happy or is it only for awesome people?
In your scenario the DE edition would be intended only for Type A users. It is, after all, called the Development Editon.

Some Type B users (me?) might be willing and Linux-experienced enough to play around with it as a 'just for fun release'. The Community SSU update for Maemo now in development is aimed at Type B and some Type C users.

Type D users should go back to using a Razr.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
"N900 will be usable as a primary phone device for a developer/hacker person. This will not be something for regular end users. "

I wonder what does it mean? How Nokia describes "hacker"? Can someone with some GNU/Linux and Maemo background can use this release as a daily OS or is it "just for fun" release? If I try to slice Maemo community into pieces, I think of 3 people:

Personally I define a hacker as a creative and enthusiastic developer. IMO the MeeGo DE is primarily aimed for those guys.

While regular users are free to try it, I don't think it will suit their needs since it will not include proprietary media codecs and other things regular end users expect in their devices.

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
In your scenario the DE edition would be intended only for Type A users. It is, after all, called the Development Editon.

Some Type B users (me?) might be willing and Linux-experienced enough to play around with it as a 'just for fun release'. The Community SSU update for Maemo now in development is aimed at Type B and some Type C users.

Type D users should go back to using a Razr.
IS there any N900 Type D users actually left as we don't seem to get many "Goodbye, I am finally selling my N900" type posts anymore, well I think only one this month

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2011-03-05 at 22:52.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Al Quds, Isawiya
is it true that maemo apps are also running on Meego?

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
is there any n900 type d users actually left as we don't seem to get many "goodbye, i am finally selling my n900" type posts anymore, well i think only one this month
thank god!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada