hi figaro thanks for your reply i have read the link that you gave but i'm a little confused regarding how to add a completely new button called desktop and add the related code given above by mentalst! All help greatly appreciated

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Code:
sudo gainroot
<text editor - leafpad, nano, vi> /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
Add the following string:

Code:
 <menuitem priority="3" name="Desktop">
    <icon>terminal</icon>
      <callback service="com.nokia.xterm" 
        path="/com/nokia/xterm" 
        interface="com.nokia.xterm" method="run_command" 
        bus="session" autostart="true">
      <argument type="string">dbus-send --type=signal --session /com/nokia/hildon_desktop com.nokia.hildon_desktop.set_state int32:1</argument>
    </callback>
  </menuitem>
Just about to test it myself first, will let you know.

EDIT
Ok so it's added the button to the power key menu after a reboot with the terminal icon, as expected, but failed to run the command - it opened two instances of terminal and one it appeared to run the command in and then close down, but the other one remained..... Will work on it
/EDIT

Last edited by Switch_; 2011-02-24 at 14:18.

Thank you switch im really looking forward to this and i really hope it works awaiting very eagerly for the results and your reply!

Ok thanks switch i shall wait for you to give me a go ahead. Really appreciate all your help.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Hi, sorry for the delay. I ended up having the same issue _Switch is having, and I've been fiddling/busy with other things for a while. If I do figure it out and no one else posts a solution, I will post here when I do.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts appreciatte it greatly!i will keep checking this thread then thanks a ton again!

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Code:
<menuitem priority="3" name="Show Desktop">
  <callback service="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" path="/com/nokia/hildon_desktop" interface="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" signal="set_state" bus="session" autostart="true">
   <argument type="int32">1</argument>
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
Tested and working

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
romiiio, since you have the CSSU, have you considered enabling forced autorotation, thus freeing up long-press camera to do this (or anything else)?

Of course, forced rotation does break a bunch of apps (usability-wise -- I haven't seen any crashes yet, though it's quite possible too), so you may prefer to leave it as it is.

Also, if you're using either manual (with long-press camera or Ctrl+Shift+R) or automatically forced rotation, you can turn off the browser's built-in rotation support (Options > Settings > Enable rotation unchecked); then the browser will keep its standard UI, with the bottom toolbar and top status area, even in portrait mode. It's a little dodgy, since the bookmarks and fullscreen buttons slide off the toolbar into a popup where you can't see the icons, but I like it much better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
Code:
<menuitem priority="3" name="Show Desktop">
  <callback service="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" path="/com/nokia/hildon_desktop" interface="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" signal="set_state" bus="session" autostart="true">
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
Tested and working
... *Facepalm* You know what I tried the day this thread was posted, then decided I was doing something wrong and gave up on? This:

Code:
<menuitem priority="5" name="Desktop">
  <callback service="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" path="/com/nokia/hildon_desktop" interface="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" method="set_state" bus="session" autostart="true">
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
(Hint: "method" instead of "signal" was what I did. No wonder it wasn't working for me.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-02-25 at 05:57. Reason: Corrected my code a bit.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
... *Facepalm* You know what I tried the day this thread was posted, then decided I was doing something wrong and gave up on? This:

Code:
<menuitem priority="5" name="Desktop">
  <callback service="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" path="/com/nokia/hildon_desktop" interface="com.nokia.hildon_desktop" method="set_state" bus="session" autostart="true">
  </callback>
 </menuitem>
(Hint: "method" instead of "signal" was what I did. No wonder it wasn't working for me.)
I did the same, then I thought "well, it's a signal, let's try..."

Btw, how did you know what was the correct D-Bus signal to use? I tried to find it using d-feet, but I didn't find it...