Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Will do that and report back Thanks for the effort!

Edit: that did the trick, works now
Excellent; thanks for reporting back.

I'm interested in feedback from those who try this on whether it proves to be useful to them, and what changes would make it (more) useful. It's not a polished product but has some good stuff under the hood so far. As i don't have a car here, i can't really use it the way many people would.

I'm still hanging out at the IRC channel and have been peeking at the code to get a better idea what's going on and what's under development.

Some interesting facts:
  • A Palm WebOS version was just released by a port maintainer this week
  • WinCE and desktop windows and linux versions exist
  • An Android port is maintained
  • The Maemo release is just a variation of the main trunk and doesn't require a separate port like Android, Palm, and WinCE. This is due to the debian/linux nature of maemo.
  • Qt is becoming the best target for it, making the progress of navit on maemo (and meego) promising

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Well, it seems constantly crash if I hit the full screen -button. Also it's quite unusable while driving because the lag is so high (map refreshes slowly, like every three seconds or so). But I'll keep testing this

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Well, it seems constantly crash if I hit the full screen -button.
Yes, i noted that in the known issues and reported it in their bug tracker. If you use the menu in the gui to go full screen, it usually works.

Also it's quite unusable while driving because the lag is so high (map refreshes slowly, like every three seconds or so). But I'll keep testing this
How big of a map are you using? It's definitely sluggish if i zoom out, but at a reasonable zoom i can pan around fairly smoothly. I just grabbed a metro area map, though (about 15 miles to a side).

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Oh and I have a minor update.

@Flandry

I think you mentioned before that Navit wouldn't work properly if loaded from the icon, but just for the hell of it, I lauched it using hte icon and it runs fine with no issues. Just thought you'd like to know.

Originally Posted by DACHIGGA View Post
Oh and I have a minor update.

@Flandry

I think you mentioned before that Navit wouldn't work properly if loaded from the icon, but just for the hell of it, I lauched it using hte icon and it runs fine with no issues. Just thought you'd like to know.
Original guide has up-to-date "Known issues" that explain what was going on.

not sure, if i missed it.
but has someone contact to the guy building navit and making it available at chollya.org?

it's great that someone fights the horrible build infrastructure of maemo and creates those packages. but he/she builds the qt parts always against the most recent qt libs which are never available for non-devel users.

could somebody who knows ask him/her to create those packages (qt-painter and gui-qml) against commly used qt libs instead?

and (but i gave up all hope long since) maybe a description how he/she set up the environment and builds those packages?

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post
but has someone contact to the guy building navit and making it available at chollya.org?

it's great that someone fights the horrible build infrastructure of maemo and creates those packages. but he/she builds the qt parts always against the most recent qt libs which are never available for non-devel users.

could somebody who knows ask him/her to create those packages (qt-painter and gui-qml) against commly used qt libs instead?

and (but i gave up all hope long since) maybe a description how he/she set up the environment and builds those packages?
[s]Could you please find these packages in extras?
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libqt...l-declarative/
They are only in extras-devel. There is no old stable versions.[/s]

Update: Sorry. I didn't understand you right.

Last edited by KiberGus; 2010-07-25 at 12:49.

Originally Posted by arne.anka View Post

As i already explained, Chollya builds against Qt 4.7 (only in -devel right now) because it's required for the QML gui. It's possible to force install of navit and just not use the QML gui and that doesn't require any Qt packages not on the device by default. You can use my script to do that install or build it yourself. The configure script will not enable QML gui by default so you can build against Qt 4.6 easily enough.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
possible to force install of navit
no need to force, the qt dep is in qtpainter and qml, not navit itself.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
or build it yourself
well, if you read my previous posts, you would know that i (and several others) have begged _several_ times for instructions how to "build myself". scratchbox does not work (or needs apparently crude hacks), madde does not allow to include external libs (still wondering which genius made that decision) and the same seems to be true for the qt sdk.

so please, if it is that easy, would you care to enlighten us?
if not, refrain from using that stupid phrase!

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
It took me 3 tries to install but in the end it worked. I had to get this libfribidi0 first which the skript complained about. It also complained about libgarmin0 and libspeechd2 but that seems to be no problem after all.

I also installed espeak but this I am not very happy about. The sound is terrible and seems to be not depend on my volume settings.

How do I deactivate espeak for navit? I already read navit.xml. There is a comment about it and a line which states
Code:
<speech type="espeak" enabled="no"/>
which would lead me to believe it is deactivated. But its not. How do I get rid of speech output?

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap