Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
So a few weeks ago my camera stopped working. The UI comes up but the screen is black. I was running cssu testing and power kernel. I went threw the whole f cam drivers / restore the stock kernel which worked the first time this happened a few moths ago.

This time it didnt, so I reflashed the device and when I open the camera app I get operation failed. I have also reformatted the device as well.

I think it is the hardware itself. The last thing I did was use the flashlight app, when i used it it made a loud click almost if there was a shutter. I'm wondering if there is some type of shutter or anything that could be serviced in order to get it working again.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
You can buy a replacement camera module and replace the one in your N900 with it, if it's a problem with the physical camera that would fix it.

The Following User Says Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
i'm also having the exact same problem with my n900. hope someone can help resolve this issue

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Does it work with third party applications (BlessN900, FCamera..Panorama)?

I had same "operation failed" problem with N95 but it worked just fine with other applications like bar-code reader. Solution was to detach camera module from motherboard...and after 3 days attach it again.

Flashing, changing software versions and other things didn't help.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
It didnt work with any apps neither did the front camera. I just removed it following this

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66457

I used two pieces of plastic that i cut from a blister pack instead of a razor blade. One at the top and one at the bottom, slid the module out really simple. I flicked the module with my finger a few times. You can hear something on the inside move. I reassembled and now my camera is working again.