Active Topics

I apologize to Iballs if he is perturbed at my posts. It's fairly obvious that he takes any negative comments on the n800 personally, so he feels compelled to also revert with personal remarks. However, I would venture to guess that in real life he is a jolly person to be with, despite his disturbing love for a piece of metal that surfs the internet.

I probably do have high expectations than most, probably comes from my computer engineering majoring in parallel processing. And yes, the only reason I mention this is so that no one thinks I'm a total idiot

But the masses ('reality' as Iballs calls them) I do think has the same 'speed' expectation that I possess, and probably prevails more in the younger generation. Older generations probably have more patience in waiting for a page to load up and do something else while they wait.

However, I do agree with sachin007 that for the n800 price, it is a good deal. And having free new apps and updates every so often, is also a huge bonus.

Oh and thanks for pointing out my spelling..must have been a typo when I spelled "develepors" versus the correct spelling of "developers". It must be hard having to point out people's deficiencies and not being to be able to accept comments pertaining to something that you own.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by Liam1 View Post
Heh,

After reading all of the posts that we're made while I was asleep, I can really say it has been an entertaining read.....
Seriously, I can understand that the N800 turned out to be less than what you expected, but to say its disappointing is wrong. Your expectations are unrealistic for the size, weight and cost. There is simply no device out YET that can match up with the IT. You paid for the privelage of being an early user of this form factor, others will come and they will improve software and performance. Which product comes out and is perfect in its first iteratio? not many not even Apple products.

Well first I've demonstrated that the N800 runs Javascript up to 7x faster than the vaunted iPhone (and I'm an Apple fan) so the whole "underpowered" and 'slow" thing is kinda ridic.

Secondly, the fact that one can get third party software is a 'good" thing. It would probably be best if the place to get the software was "better" but that's not Nokia's fault ( I think).

In terms of usefulness, MaemoMapper just showed its usefulness yet again this weekend and now that I discovered I can get the Google traffic on the thing I'll no longer be getting caught in traffic (as much as can be expected).

I also agree that some folks have some serious expectation issues that need managing.

Is there room for improvement? Definitely and namely the GOD awful means updating the system and some means of shortening the time between when an app goes haywire and the OS tries to kill it. That can be a battery killer. I'm sure other people have their gripes, but for the money and what it can do, this thing is nice.

Originally Posted by Liam1
I apologize to Iballs if he is perturbed at my posts. It's fairly obvious that he takes any negative comments on the n800 personally, so he feels compelled to also revert with personal remarks. However, I would venture to guess that in real life he is a jolly person to be with, despite his disturbing love for a piece of metal that surfs the internet.
Quite frankly, I give less than a damn about you.
But I want anyone that stumbles across this post either via a search here or from Google to be reminded that your narrow and uneducated viewpoint does NOT represent the N770/N800 community here and that you speak for no one but yourself and your limited view of the N800 and it's capabilities.

Originally Posted by Liam1 View Post
I probably do have high expectations than most, probably comes from my computer engineering majoring in parallel processing. And yes, the only reason I mention this is so that no one thinks I'm a total idiot
So you're a student then? That explains a lot.
I live and work in the real world, building real world clustered information systems for use in real world applications.
Thus my expectations are more focused on the real world.
And since the systems I build are designed for high-speed information flow so the right people get dead a lot faster (yeah, guess where I work) I know all about "speed". But even my employers don't expect same-as-desktop speeds on a handheld device. That's why the vast majority of systems I wind up designing and building are focused not only on desktop use but encrypted handheld use as well. And we don't force our handheld users to view the same pages on the servers in the network that our desktop users do. They're customized for a handheld experience while delivering the same information.

A great example of this is the "Mail For Exchange 2.0" program for Symbian S60 3rd Edition. People with S60 3rd Edition phones wanted better PIM synchronization with Exchange server backends. Did that mean "porting" over something that looked/operated like Outlook?
No. That meant figuring out a way to integrate such capability in the existing mail application on those devices while also adding GAL lookup and synchronizing calendar and contact information within Exhange with their built-in counterparts on the device. All the basic things Exchange users could do on their desktops.
The resulting application is actually pretty damn good and turns any S60 3rd Edition device into a Push-Email device comparable to the Blackberry.
Now, had the original programmers been using your mindset, they would have first whinged about how "slow" the handheld device was and then went about re-inventing the wheel with a native - or even worse, Java - application that would be slow and horrible to use with frequent crashing.
And then they would have repeated the cycle by whinging how slow the application and device were, etc, etc.
In other words, sometimes what works on a laptop or desktop will flat-out NOT work on a portable handheld device.

But the masses ('reality' as Iballs calls them) I do think has the same 'speed' expectation that I possess, and probably prevails more in the younger generation. Older generations probably have more patience in waiting for a page to load up and do something else while they wait.
If that were true then why not rant on about the iPhone or any other handheld device that delivers a much slower browsing experience than the N800?
I mean, obviously the "masses" have spoken with massive smartphone sales in the past year and the iPhone having such a great debut. Hell, even the N95 is said to have sold over 400,000 in North America so far and even it's much-vaunted Safari Webkit browser is SLOWER than the N800 Opera (and now Micro-b) browser.
This must be the first handheld device you've ever used then, making your narrow "view" even that more limited.

Again, if you want "laptop-like" speeds on a handheld device then go design and build a better one. Then I'm sure you'll properly educate yourself on how hard it is to actually balance power, functionality, performance, battery-life, heat issues, part sourcing, manufacturing costs, and consumer pricing all the while meeting those "laptop-like" speed goals.

However, I do agree with sachin007 that for the n800 price, it is a good deal. And having free new apps and updates every so often, is also a huge bonus.
Exactly. At this EXACT price point you cannot find another handheld device that does as much at the same or faster speeds.
The overall application update process though leaves much to be desired. I find the Application Manager GUI to be quite horrible and limited in functionality and packages that it refuses to install will install just fine from the command line leaving one to believe that it "breaks" from the normal dpkg methods which it uses itself.

Oh and thanks for pointing out my spelling..must have been a typo when I spelled "develepors" versus the correct spelling of "developers". It must be hard having to point out people's deficiencies and not being to be able to accept comments pertaining to something that you own.
No, it's when people like you use chav-terminology like "coz" that I feel - in my own opinion, I speak for no one but myself here - tends to aggravate a lot of the more educated users in these forums. It also just make you seem like a child, making your points even less valid.

Just because it's the internet doesn't mean you have to destroy the English language in an effort to speed up a reply or sound "cool" and "with it".
In other words, this isn't a cell phone SMS text message forum, so feel free to use more than 160 characters and take all the time you need to reply to this.
Much like your disappointing N800 web browsing experience, we'll happily wait.

Hi,

I am a common Joe, in fact, an old common Joe. Since everyone is giving an opinion, mine is a good as anyone's.

In my opinion, an Internet tablet should do at least 2 things very well. A mail program (see images) and a browser. In my opinion, the N800 does not do these 2 things very well. Maybe some day it will. I did not when I bought it and it does not now. Maybe Nokia just mis-named it?

Joe O

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have a personal question to liam..... Is there any chance that you are a moderator in a site called tass.tv??

Originally Posted by joeo View Post
Hi,

I am a common Joe, in fact, an old common Joe. Since everyone is giving an opinion, mine is a good as anyone's.
Of course it is, but in this case it does tend to need to be an informed opinion since we are talking about an electronic product.
You know, cite some examples of something working well or not well.

Originally Posted by joeo View Post
In my opinion, an Internet tablet should do at least 2 things very well. A mail program (see images) and a browser. In my opinion, the N800 does not do these 2 things very well. Maybe some day it will. I did not when I bought it and it does not now. Maybe Nokia just mis-named it?
And here's where you let me down. Cite some examples of the browser "not working well". No need to cite anything for the mail client since there have been NUMEROUS well-founded gripes about that serious POS.
But the browser? On the latest firmware with the microb installed? Microb is still in alpha testing so of course it's optimized yet, but the Opera browser - now with Flash 9 support - is still the best in it's class on a handheld device.
I only use Microb when I need access to specific Google-based applications.
And again, it all depends on the sites you visit. A Flash-and-Javascript heavy site will load slower in ALL browsers, and seem to bog down a mobile browser expecially. That's just bad web design and not a fault of the browser. I bet if you turned Flash and Javascript off those sites would load a LOT quicker.
And I'll even cite two examples for you: Engadget and The Inquirer.
Engadget loads up around 90 "objects" on their main page.
The Enquirer loads up around 20.
Guess which one loads faster? That's right, that horrible-yet-entertaining rag called The Enquirer. Loads up in about less than 5 seconds on average, depending upon network connection. Engadget takes about 10 seconds on average to load.
Sad thing is, Engadget's tons-of-objects aren't that useful, mainly ads and links to other blogs from their parent company. I'm sure someone really taking the time to customize Privoxy and running a custom CSS template could speed things up for certain websites even faster.
And running Privoxy does tend to speed up sites for my by not even bothering to snag a ton of ads on every page I visit.
A little tweaking goes a long way towards improving the user experience.
Take some time out and try it sometime.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Liam1, the problem with your approach to criticism is your dependence on hyperbole and sarcasm. Neither have any place in a true critique. Your choice of verbiage places your posts into the category of bashing. Which is okay, as everyone's entitled, but surely you must understand that bashing is going to garner strong rebuttals... not just against your opinion but also your style. Take a journalistic approach, replace the exaggerations with relevant context, and suddenly you gain a measure of respect.

This forum is replete with sound critiques matching that description. They offer a learning experience to any erstwhile reviewer.

Of course, you could just be an instigator who dropped in to flamebait the tablet devotees. Your initial post has all the hallmarks...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think that people can be discredited by pointing out that they make typos or use "cuz" or are students, or are moderators on some other site. I think that logic should be sufficient. Furthermore, I think that the originator of this thread has been a bit more polite than some of the respondents.

Sachin007, I'm not on tass.tv (Actually don't even know the site). Does the moderator there also invite the anger of the senior members there?

Just for clarification, I've been a computer engineer for the past 7 years, and was educated in a ivy league school, so there is no need to bash my education. I highly doubt that Iball's SAT/SAT2 scores could even rival mine in 1995, so lets not talk about butchering the English language , just 'coz' thats the way I spell 'because'

And maybe I shouldn't have bought this tablet..as I've found my liking of the superb features was easily offset by my need for speed.

Oh I'm reading two conflicting previous posts..Texrat says I'm bashing, Geneven says I was polite...hopefully Geneven is correct in this case..as I am careful not to hurt anyone in particular.

Okay..no more whingeing from me..And just wait for this page to load..dum dee dum (10 seconds on a 6Mbps connection)

Last edited by Liam1; 2007-08-20 at 16:04.