Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NokiaLand
i just got it guys! this is it how it went,nokia makes 300 of n900 then they watch how people wants it and TADAAH!!!!then they see that they have a wonderful and amazing phone that thousands of people want!!!so where are all the people that invented the phone??they are making the rest phones?and its a very hard job to make 100.000 phones?how long will it take to make them and ship them to stores??there you have the answer?it goes way up till next year

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
My guess is that Peter is under orders to be quiet. Think about it. He is just an employee trying to do his job and doing the best he can to make us happy. Yes, the phone is delayed. Oh well. Nokia found some issues that it wanted to fix before releasing it. I am sure Nokia is working hard to get it out. And as I said before, it would be nice of Nokia to give some sort of token gift of appreciation to those that can prove that they pre-ordered before 10-01-09, for example.

However, I find it disturbing that some people here are talking as if their happiness depended on the N900. I have lived happily without it so far and will hopefully go on living happily after it quits working for me in a couple of years (hopefully more). Yes, the N900 will be fun to play with for a little while, but like any toy, after you have played with it for a while it will get old. Happiness is not found in the things you have, but in treating others with love.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Oh dear. But I have to say it.. tee hee!

I feel very sorry to the people who believed what the customer service people were reading from screens. It remainds me that Amazon swore blind to me that the phone would ship on the 2nd - just 48 hours before changing their minds. It's like that. I knew better than to believe them.

The reality is:

Initial date was set for 26th Oct.

Nokia realised they weren't going to make that.

Peter gave us a date of 'November'. Last I looked, it's still November, no? He also said that we would know from Nokia itself when devices leave the factory. And that devices are not going to magically appear in shops.

Now, unfortunately, Nokia UK is actually no more than a retail arm of Nokia. I had a 'Nokia' employee tell me on the 31st Oct that he could supply one, according to the screen he was reading, immediately. He also told me it had to be returned to Nokia (being too complex for the local experts) every single time it needs a firmware update. That was about when I realised just how much he knew about what he was talking about.

Drones on Sales phone-lines repeat what is on the screen. Optimistic people in warehouses might put their best guess on the screen. But Nokia themselves have said only 'November'. They haven't lied to us. Except that someone did say that they're 'hopeful' for November at one of the flagship store events, which means they may need to set it back again.

I find myself wondering whether the certainty about the 9th actually came because someone at Nokia UK (sales) read it here and saw how certain the people here were...

The device will ship when it ships. Hopefully during November.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
My guess is that Peter is under orders to be quiet. Think about it. He is just an employee trying to do his job and doing the best he can to make us happy. Yes, the phone is delayed. Oh well. Nokia found some issues that it wanted to fix before releasing it. I am sure Nokia is working hard to get it out. And as I said before, it would be nice of Nokia to give some sort of token gift of appreciation to those that can prove that they pre-ordered before 10-01-09, for example.

However, I find it disturbing that some people here are talking as if their happiness depended on the N900. I have lived happily without it so far and will hopefully go on living happily after it quits working for me in a couple of years (hopefully more). Yes, the N900 will be fun to play with for a little while, but like any toy, after you have played with it for a while it will get old. Happiness is not found in the things you have, but in treating others with love.
You misunderstand. Not one of us have any issues with Nokia wanting to give out a better device to the public, we all welcome that.

The thing that has pee'd most of us off is that Nokia (especially Nokia uk) have gave us the 9th Nov date on the phones. Obviously they have decided against this but it just feels that they are messing us about and using the carrot on a stick method to keep us interested.

Originally Posted by Mengs View Post
For the record; Nokia makes great phones!, but they treat their customers like ****. And that is the reason I feel that we should teach them a lesson. I don't think there's a single person who is not frustrated with Nokia by now, and if I was running Nokia I'd be embarrassed, but as history has clearly stated; they don't care about pushing dates back nor care about their customers.
Nokia treats its customers really well, the problem is who it considers to be its customers. Nokia is still working in a world where phone carriers are its customers instead of the end consumers. Did you notice the way UK carriers started releasing pricing information recently? That's because they have information direct from Nokia about when the release will be.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Wolverhampton
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Oh dear. But I have to say it.. tee hee!

I feel very sorry to the people who believed what the customer service people were reading from screens. It remainds me that Amazon swore blind to me that the phone would ship on the 2nd - just 48 hours before changing their minds. It's like that. I knew better than to believe them.

The reality is:

Initial date was set for 26th Oct.

Nokia realised they weren't going to make that.

Peter gave us a date of 'November'. Last I looked, it's still November, no? He also said that we would know from Nokia itself when devices leave the factory. And that devices are not going to magically appear in shops.

Now, unfortunately, Nokia UK is actually no more than a retail arm of Nokia. I had a 'Nokia' employee tell me on the 31st Oct that he could supply one, according to the screen he was reading, immediately. He also told me it had to be returned to Nokia (being too complex for the local experts) every single time it needs a firmware update. That was about when I realised just how much he knew about what he was talking about.

Drones on Sales phone-lines repeat what is on the screen. Optimistic people in warehouses might put their best guess on the screen. But Nokia themselves have said only 'November'. They haven't lied to us. Except that someone did say that they're 'hopeful' for November at one of the flagship store events, which means they may need to set it back again.

I find myself wondering whether the certainty about the 9th actually came because someone at Nokia UK (sales) read it here and saw how certain the people here were...

The most sence worthy post in the thread.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
this is the last time i wait or preorder a phone from ANY cell phone company except for apple

I think Apple is playing their cards correct.
What makes me laugh is that this is the first time I've ever pre-ordered anything!

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Except those optimistic people would have been from Nokia, given that it was Nokia's retail arm drones repeating what was on their screens, so Nokia themselves had actually given a date internally for this.

I find that really, really hard to believe. I don't know whether you contacted them personally, but I talked to a large number of people there (over this and a few other bits and pieces), and the result was always, without exception, the same. Rumours won't do anything close to that.

(This would also probably go against their training and policy of reading what was on their screen, as you already pointed out.)

It's still on target for that, sure. The exact response I got was "the 19th", and a close associate of mine also just heard 'next week'.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
To me, the irony is that Nokia unveiled the N900 back at the end of summer, and it was an amazing device, something I truly couldn't live without.

Then they gave me 2+ months to test my theory. Turns out I CAN live without it, quite well.

I'm certainly planning to buy one eventually, when they're not so insanely difficult to get in Canada (at a reasonable price, anyway). But I suspect many impulse purchases were lost. Perhaps this is a good thing?

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
And none of the Nokia people here can spot that and tell us it's a simple error because....?
Why would they bother? Peter already clearly said that ANYTHING other than an official Nokia press release is not a solid date. So in effect he already made it clear that date was false without the need to keep posting every time someone came up with a new one.

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange