Active Topics

Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree.
The gap between them and the pro1 is literally day and night to my eyes.
I am disagree.

However, we may see it once Pro1 has arrived.

Anyway, phone cameras are usually relatively bad. They are definitively improving and there are phones with very good camera, but they are rare.

Also, I have a digital camera back from 2003, it has around 3.5 megapixels of resolution and it is still better than a usual phone despite the lower resolution as it has good and large lens and build quality.

If I look at a usual phone's photo, I see the high resolution but low detail, which is not really good...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
I'm sorry but I disagree.
The gap between them and the pro1 is literally day and night to my eyes.
I didn't say the Pro1's camera's on par, I'm saying that the other phones would be as bad in such poor conditions. And that basing any judgement on a picture from those conditions is stupid.
I don't really know how the Pro1's camera compares to other phones in photos made in proper conditions, all I know is that it's good enough for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Shirabe View Post
I didn't say the Pro1's camera's on par, I'm saying that the other phones would be as bad in such poor conditions. And that basing any judgement on a picture from those conditions is stupid.

I don't really know how the Pro1's camera compares to other phones in photos made in proper conditions, all I know is that it's good enough for me.
Phone cameras are focusing mostly in low light photography the last 3-4 years or so.
Let's say that we focus on the S series from s7 to s10.
Ofcourse the evolution is amazing in every way, but if you compare low light photography specifically, the difference is just huge.
That's because there is no excuse anymore for crappy quality in low light, when everyone is asking at least 750 euros for a flagship.
Anyway, we are getting way off the subject.
The pro1's camera is good enough for you, and probably for the most people here that usually use outdated devices. That's all that matters in my book.
As long as it "checks" all the rest in your (or anyone's) list, who cares?
Does that make it a decent (2020 flagship) camera phone? No.
Does that matter to almost any buyer from this target group? No.

Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
Also, I have a digital camera back from 2003, it has around 3.5 megapixels of resolution and it is still better than a usual phone despite the lower resolution as it has good and large lens and build quality.

If I look at a usual phone's photo, I see the high resolution but low detail, which is not really good...
That depends.
What "usual phone" is to you? Are you comparing it with a XA2 for example or with a pixel 3?
Because you can say that both are "relatively" modern and both have 1 main camera, but the difference between them is immeasurable.

Last edited by nikos523; 2019-11-24 at 14:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
That depends.
What "usual phone" is to you? Are you comparing it with a XA2 for example or with a pixel 3?
Because you can say that both are "relatively" modern and both have 1 main camera, but the difference between them is immeasurable.
Not comparing but experiencing of what I saw of some people around me.
...and as I said, "they are definitively improving" - but still not comparable with a good dedicated camera of similar resolution.

Also there are several phones which do some post processing - the image looks like if it were applied some blur then sharpening effect. It is suitable for eliminating some noise but it is definitively results in loosing details while I have not seen the same effect on dedicated cameras.

The Following User Says Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Made a short video of a 1 minute typing test because Jan asked on twitter.
The website i found most suitable for the test is typing-speed.net if you want to compare with your laptop
They do not throw special characters at you tho, just a casual lowercase parcours.
Screen brightness is set to low so the puny sailfish camera can pick up the kbd better.
I guess most of you will type faster than me, but here is what i got:

https://twitter.com/eLtMosen/status/1198618481186496512

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Fast thumbs have You...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Double tap to wake phone works, but not always.
I suspect this is an issue with SFOS itself; I have the same issue with the Xperia X.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, you can't compare with a good dslr with a huge lens at night. But you can compare phone cameras with other phone cameras.
Did you have a note 10 / iPhone 11 / pixel 4 / OP7P / P30P and checked the quality at night? You will be amazed my friend.
It's all done with postprocessing, my friend.

Everything those devices achieve is just smoke and mirrors; the sensors and optics are just as pitiful in all mobile devices, the final results are all achieved with heavy correction.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
A bit more "fun facts" about modern cameraphones;

The topline devices use multiple cameras and esoteric things like sensor bias sweep to get most out of the poor sensor chips. I have not checked it but I kind of suspect you won't even get a real raw photo out of those; how could you when the image is composed on-the-fly out from data gathered over multiple sensors with a time integral (meaning, a single "shot" is always a processed composite of short sequences)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It's all done with postprocessing, my friend.

Everything those devices achieve is just smoke and mirrors; the sensors and optics are just as pitiful in all mobile devices, the final results are all achieved with heavy correction.
Exactly. That's what you are paying for today, software.
If someone wants raw specs and 0 software optimization (that ultimately leads to horrible user experience), can buy top of the line specs with a 250€ Chinese smartphone.
I don't understand why software optimization (post-processing in this case) is considered bad or something. It's actually amazing.
The pixel 2 and 3 had such amazing results with mediocre hardware and superb software optimization.
Even the last layer of the camera, the apk itself has a ton of optimization and that's why millions of people try to install a port of the Google camera.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit