Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
first N9 billboard appears in Kazakhstan.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/16/n...ets-its-own-b/
Trust engadget to point out only the farcical side of the roll-out.
They love focusing on every single negative aspect of Nok/MeeGo.
With the exception of their praise, after their brief N9 hands-on.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-16 at 08:53.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Google will protect the "Android platform" allright. But how exactly? How is Motorola IP going to protect the OS without also protecting a device that the OS runs on?

Android is out of control right now. ZTE and Huawei plan their own android markets, their own ecosystems, even their own versions of the OS, and there is nothing Google can do to prevent it. With Motorola IP and production facilities they can create their own. There is no other way they can protect their interests.
Isn't that the whole point? Protecting the hardware? So far, Microsoft and Apple are suing HARDWARE manufacturers, instead of suing Google directly. So, by BEING a hardware manufacturer now--one which Microsoft has already started sabre-rattling and threatening already, Google can finally have its opportunity to protect the platform properly.

Also, I do believe that that is the INTENTION--for manufacturers to go off and spin off their own Android variations. Honeycomb was the weird exception to that philosophy (until Ice Cream combines it all together again).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by govprog View Post
You think that you are offended? No way I'm offending anyone you know.
And I didn't say you are proving something,no.I was proving that MeeGo > WP.
Um, not quite sure what you're saying here.
Lost in translation

As for the current versions, they are all the same(In performance hardware and etc.) In the upcoming releases, the hardware will be a little more powerful, or better we say, will be as powerful as the Xperia Play does.And maybe a little more powerful than the N9, but it depends.
For the current hardware, have a look at the samsung focus, and its specifications. For its performance, I have searched the internet but no luck.
EDIT:Yes, I'm recommending the focus as a good WP7 device.
Thanks, I'll look into those two models....
They sound like they'd be ideal candidates to compare to the N9!
Can anyone else recommend a WP, that's roughly similar to the N9 'hardware-wise'?
Aside from Searay, I srsly doubt it'll be available before Dec (if not later).

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-16 at 08:56.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Thanks, I'll look into those two models....
They sound like they'd be ideal candidates to compare to the N9!
Can anyone else recommend a WP, that's roughly similar to the N9 'hardware-wise'?
Aside from Searay, I srsly doubt it'll be available before Dec (if not later).
The Samsung Omnia 7 is the best windows phone out there, buuuuut not good hardware wise like the n9. You should wait for 2nd gen windows phones if at all.

@danramos
Although apple and microsoft are suing the hardware manufacturers, it's really the software that they are after however they CAN'T sue google directly. I'm not clear on how this works, but because Android is open sourced and is freely distributed and not really used (by them), they are not liable at all to lawsuits regarding the OS. The OEMs instead have to take that liability. Microsoft hopes to 'bully' them into considering windows phone as the other option rather than pay patent licensing using 'free' Android

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Google will protect the "Android platform" allright. But how exactly? How is Motorola IP going to protect the OS without also protecting a device that the OS runs on?

Android is out of control right now. ZTE and Huawei plan their own android markets, their own ecosystems, even their own versions of the OS, and there is nothing Google can do to prevent it. With Motorola IP and production facilities they can create their own. There is no other way they can protect their interests.
Here's a GREAT article about this... written by a self-described Apple enthusiast, no less...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...XIJ_story.html

It seems to skirt a lot of the theories and questions we're all mulling about the deal. It EVEN mentions the idea of whether carriers might consider the Windows Mobile platform... but mainly, it's pretty heavy on the idea that this was CLEARLY about the patents (about 20,000 patents now! ...that's more than Microsoft has!) but he does say that it might also be about shaking a stick at competitors--to insist on better build quality and more frequent updates, etc. As a consumer, I WHOLLY welcome that, if that's the case. I love Samsung's hardware, but goddamit if I just f***ing HATE their unbelievably poor turn-around on updates. Motorola has been surprisingly good about updates, though--so this is just perfect already.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
Although apple and microsoft are suing the hardware manufacturers, it's really the software that they are after however they CAN'T sue google directly. I'm not clear on how this works, but because Android is open sourced and is freely distributed and not really used (by them), they are not liable at all to lawsuits regarding the OS. The OEMs instead have to take that liability. Microsoft hopes to 'bully' them into considering windows phone as the other option rather than pay patent licensing using 'free' Android
Precisely... and now, Google is a hardware manufacturer as well. This fits into what I'd said earlier. Let the games... begin.

Wow, this is really kinda impressive....
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/16/x...ual-core-soc-a
Are we about to see the rise of mainland china (PRC) handset makers soon?
I'm not aware of a single one... HTC's Taiwanese isn't it?
(with of course, much of it's manufacturing base in China)

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-16 at 10:40.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I dont get why they didnt bought Nokia. Cheaper?, vighet marketshare, more patents, plus that would kill win7 for sure.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-08-16 at 15:55.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Trust engadget to point out only the farcical side of the roll-out.
They love focusing on every single negative aspect of Nok/MeeGo.
With the exception of their praise, after their brief N9 hands-on.
Let's face it, it's all been downhill for the N9 since the initial announcement, what with the top brass at Nokia seemingly doing all they can to undermine the device before it's even released. Even I'm not planning to buy one, and I'm spending all my spare time developing for the damn thing. They may as well ship it in a coffin, and be done with it. :/

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????