Notices

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Hello community,

Today I want to present to you a new tool for the N900 called HexTool. It is a small application which calculates or converts from hexadecimal to decimal, to bin, to octal and vice versa on the fly. It is really nice for bit manipulations and I using it quite a long time on my windows maschine.
Now I can use it with all my operating systems.

All values are editable so you can put a new hexdecimal value, decimal value, change single bits, put an ip address or ASCII chars. It will automatically calculate other fields for you.

The "<<" and ">>" is for shift operations in the current register.
The "flip" button performs an endian swap from the hexadecimal value.
The "not" button inverts the binary.
The "neg" button gives the inverse decimal value (signed mode).
The "small plus and minus" button increases or decreases the decimal value by one.
The "one or zero" button change the label from the binary starting with 1 or with 0.
The "clr" button clears the current register.

With the other buttons you can do bit calculations.
Therefore you can register your numbers in A and B and make logical and mathematical operations. The result is shown in register C.
You can change the register by pushing the radio buttons.
You can switch between signed and unsigned and you can set the bit size to 8,16 or 32bit.

In the end this programm is a converter and calculator. It is also very useful when you want to encrypt and decrypt some numbers.

Thanks to Ryan Harkin who was so kind and uploaded his initial QT version source code after my request. Before he published only pictures.
I changed the gui a little bit and also some routine that handling the gui. Furthermore I added some more options and fixed a compiler bug so it should calculate right on all platforms now.
Not 100% finger friendly for big fingers...However we have a stylus pen.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hextool/
http://harkin.org/hextool/index.html

latest version: hextool-1.7.1maemo3 in extra repo
Compiled for N950 on openrepos.
Attached Images

Last edited by Halftux; 2016-03-07 at 14:19. Reason: new screenshot and describtion

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Cool! I normally use Galculator from the Diablo repos for that but it's nice to have a small, simple utility like this. Not to mention that one needs to install Galculator manually as it is not in the Fremantle repos

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not to mention that one needs to install Galculator manually as it is not in the Fremantle repos
And everything works as supposed, no problems with diablo version?
Maybe we should update to the latest version and upload it to fremantle repos.

It looks like a nice scientific calculator only for single bit manipulation it is not so handy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
This is a very useful tool. Thank you for porting this.
Would you mind fixing your debian files?
Maemo ports should have maemo in the package name to indicate it's a port. This way you can easily manage upstream fixes.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Port_an_existing_Debian_package

Also the lack of e-mail address in your packages are causing odd things to happen in the package management page. "meRuns scripts"

I have fixed the files for you if you don't mind uploading a new version.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-06-06 at 20:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
This is a very useful tool. Thank you for porting this.
Would you mind fixing your debian files?
Maemo ports should have maemo in the package name to indicate it's a port. This way you can easily manage upstream fixes.
In principle there is only a windows version of this application with a history. The owner had a none released QT version. I asked him for the source code and he uploaded it for me to the sourceforge git. Then I modified the gui for maemo and some other code. The original source code has no version history because it is not really maintained and was never released to a repository.

http://sourceforge.net/p/hextool/git/ci/master/tree/qtc_packaging/debian_fremantle/changelog

So I really don't know what version I should put. Furthermore when a package exists now in maemo repository I can upload only higher versions.

Also the lack of e-mail address in your packages are causing odd things to happen in the package management page. "meRuns scripts"
Sorry I forgot to write my e-mail into the changelog file.

I have fixed the files for you if you don't mind uploading a new version.
I am really sorry but I can't see any difference. It looks like the original files.
What was wrong with the control file?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
I am terribly sorry I uploaded the originals by accident.
Here, you can now see what I have done

There are a good few subtle changes as well as the obvious ones.

Like keeping each bullet point on a new line to stop it going offscreen in the package manager, for example.
Attached Files
File Type: gz hextool-ch-ctnl-files.tar.gz (1.8 KB, 209 views)

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-06-06 at 20:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Some feedback. First, let me tell you I love this nifty little app. Very useful indeed. All my comments are just minor things:
  • By default it is installed in the Science category. I think it should go to Development, although others might of course think otherwise.
  • There is no need for the "Exit" menu entry. In fact people won't expect it and may confuse it for "Edit" as I did - and get a surprise
  • Some help would be nice. It did not take me long to work out what the A, B, C registers are for but still.
  • Switching to fewer bits and back clears the top bits. This should not happen. At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
  • The ASCII fields are not necessarily ASCII. By that I mean non-ASCII values are not suppressed. This can be considered a feature of course.
  • It would be nice to have an option to save the current state on exit. I would even welcome that as the default.
  • It would be nice to have a "Clear" button, although not really necessary as one could just type 0 in the "dec" or "hex" edit box.
  • It would be nice to have a switch between little and big endian. Probably only useful for the ASCII representation and that can be easily reversed so perhaps not that important.
  • I am probably too young for that and have never seen the point but some people might like the conversion to/from octal base (did you realize that there is no way to type a decimal integer zero in C? ).
As mentioned, these are all minor things and most of them are just ideas thrown in for a consideration. All in all a very useful thing, thanks for that!

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-06-06 at 21:12. Reason: Forgot to mention the category

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Re: Galculator

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
And everything works as supposed, no problems with diablo version?
Maybe we should update to the latest version and upload it to fremantle repos.
No problems at all, it works perfectly fine. The only thing is that the menus are not Hildonized but I do not see that as a problem. It is a Glade application so it has some dependencies but that is not a problem either: all the packages are available in Fremantle repos. There is an additional advantage of it being a Glade application: one can edit the layout without having to rebuild the app.

It looks like a nice scientific calculator only for single bit manipulation it is not so handy.
Exactly! That is what makes HexTool so useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
@ sixwheeledbeast

Thank you for the corrections. I was not thinking so much about that because I used the QT creator and it also do funny things...
But I see the point for the future I will think twice about the debian files. Now I have a good example.

I will upload it again with new debian files which you provided to me.

But the original none qt windows application has version 1.7.0.1.
The files that used for the never released QT version came from 1.7.0.0 however this QT version in git has no version number.
That is why I used my fantasy.
I started to upload 1.7.0 (qtcreator supports only 3 numbers) to maemo repository then I found a bug and was not satisfied with the gui so I uploaded 1.7.1.

Oh now pichlo posted so much I think I will make some changes at the source code and will upload a new version after some improvements.

I am glad that is useful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
But the original none qt windows application has version 1.7.0.1.
The files that used for the never released QT version came from 1.7.0.0 however this QT version in git has no version number.
That is why I used my fantasy.
I started to upload 1.7.0 (qtcreator supports only 3 numbers) to maemo repository then I found a bug and was not satisfied with the gui so I uploaded 1.7.1.
Yes I understand.
You shouldn't have bumped the number, but now that it's done you can't go backwards. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get back to version 1.7.0, you didn't know and we all make mistakes. Also as you say the package is unlikely to get upstream fixes.

If you stick to 1.7.1maemo1 then 1.7.1maemo2 etc etc, for any future fixes, you will be fine.

Code:
#exit 0 - true
dpkg --compare-versions 1.7.1 lt 1.7.1maemo1 && echo $?
#exit 1 - false
dpkg --compare-versions 1.7.1 lt 1.7.0maemo1 && echo $?
dpkg --compare-versions 1.7.1 lt 1.7.0.1maemo1 && echo $?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
binary, calculator, conversion, decimal, harmattan, hexadecimal, maemo 5