The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
So there will be marble as navi app i think

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Qt5 and wayland confirmed for first device!
https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/356034168351756290

@JollaHQ

@faenil @PeppeLaKappa @VDVsx our first Jolla will ship with wayland, yes

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
More pictures from Akademy found from several tweets:

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Qt5 and wayland confirmed for first device!
Which is excellent news. XWayland isn't supported however. I guess that rules out Qt4.x, and thus we get to see Qt5 from the get-go. Which is also good news!

However.. No XWayland support (and no Qt4.x) might limit the portability of apps from desktop-space? While it likely wouldn't be a design goal of Jolla, I'd still like the idea of hooking up a mobile to an HDMI screen, pairing a bt keyboard and mouse, and use it as a (admittedly somewhat limited) desktop, running full KDE. Is this correct? Or would it be trivial to add XWayland by the community using community-based repositories?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Jolla mentioned on their twitter that these demo videos will be made available on a later date.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Which is excellent news. XWayland isn't supported however. I guess that rules out Qt4.x, and thus we get to see Qt5 from the get-go. Which is also good news!

However.. No XWayland support (and no Qt4.x) might limit the portability of apps from desktop-space? While it likely wouldn't be a design goal of Jolla, I'd still like the idea of hooking up a mobile to an HDMI screen, pairing a bt keyboard and mouse, and use it as a (admittedly somewhat limited) desktop, running full KDE. Is this correct? Or would it be trivial to add XWayland by the community using community-based repositories?
AFAIK 4.8 can run under wayland support? But I can remember wrong...

Starts make me think when will KDE go to 5.x series? I heard that Wayland will not be added to KDEDesktop until Q3 2014? I hope Qt5 and QtQuick2 comes before to make it easier port apps between the platforms. Also plasma active will run Qt5+wayland if I rememer correct?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-13 at 19:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Marginally on topic, but Lxde is moving to Qt (4.x) too and the developer said he is going to skip 5.0 for 5.1 because 5.1 has better support for X. No wayland there so for the time being.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Does Qt5 instead of Qt4 mean anything for the Python applications already ported to sailfish? I'm not sure, but I believe I've read somewhere that Python bindings aren't compatible (yet?) with Qt5. Is that correct?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Does Qt5 instead of Qt4 mean anything for the Python applications already ported to sailfish? I'm not sure, but I believe I've read somewhere that Python bindings aren't compatible (yet?) with Qt5. Is that correct?
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. PySide only works with Qt 4.8. Since Nokia sold Qt, it has become community maintained, and there are no solid Qt5 plans at the moment.

It's a real shame, as I've already ported my app to Silica/Sailfish (it runs great in the alpha SDK) - and now it turns out that it was a waste of my time. I have no experience with C++, but use Python every day.

Last edited by mattaustin; 2013-07-17 at 00:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:

Tags
votingforcnotp!