Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@pali (mainly, but all other input also welcome )

The last days I received notification about available upgrade for 0xffff on my N900.
I cancelled and went to command line (as always). And doing 'apt-get upgrade -s' showed it will install also kernel-power-modules and kernel-power-debug?
But these two packages are already installed in that version on my device, please see below output of 'apt-get upgrade -s' and 'dpkg -l | grep kernel-power'.
So what is going on here?

Code:
~# apt-get upgrade -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  hildon-initscripts libcurl3 libgcc1 libsdl-mixer1.2
  libstdc++6 libxau6
The following packages will be upgraded:
  0xffff kernel-power-debug kernel-power-modules
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Inst kernel-power-debug [1:2.6.28-10power53] (1:2.6.28-10power53 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)
Inst kernel-power-modules [1:2.6.28-10power53] (1:2.6.28-10power53 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle)
Inst 0xffff [0.6-1] (0.6.1-1 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle)
Conf kernel-power-debug (1:2.6.28-10power53 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle)
Conf kernel-power-modules (1:2.6.28-10power53 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle)
Conf 0xffff (0.6.1-1 Extras-devel:2.0/fremantle, Extras-testing:2.0/fremantle)
Code:
~# dpkg -l |grep kernel-power-
ii  kernel-power-bootimg                                1:2.6.28-10power53                         Linux kernel boot image (kernel power 2.6.28
ii  kernel-power-debug                                  1:2.6.28-10power53                         Linux kernel debug symblos (kernel power 2.6
ii  kernel-power-flasher                                1:2.6.28-10power53                         Linux kernel updater (kernel power 2.6.28.10
ii  kernel-power-modules                                1:2.6.28-10power53                         Linux kernel modules (kernel power 2.6.28.10
ii  kernel-power-modules-debug                          1:2.6.28-10power53                         Linux kernel modules for debugging (kernel p
ii  kernel-power-settings                               0.18                                       Tools for the customization and overclock Li

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I released kernel-power v53 and now is in extras-devel and extras-testing. Search for TMO thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
pali, I know.
Already posted there

But why is apt thinking it needs to upgrade the exact same package with same version? (guess I installed via dpkg -i, if that matters?)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
You probably installed packages built by me months earlier. In extras repository are packages built by garage autobuilder and so packages have different md5sum/sha1sum. So apt-get thinks there is new version...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Yep, that's it.
Now I remember tinkering with /var/lib/dpkg/status and and wondering/"berserkering" why my changes always were up-faded/graded. I may apt let them"upgrade".
Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Please vote for 0xFFFF so it can be moved to Maemo Extras:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...xffff/0.6.1-1/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Okay so I'm a little confused (and too time-pressed to look at it in the source code): Is it currently possible to flash one N900 from another N900 with this presently? Put one into USB host mode, hold U on the other one while plugging it in, etc? Or will it always just default to the local N900 as the target device to do its flashing magic on?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
First it will try local device. You can try to comment LOCAL code in src/operations.c (function dev_detect()) but I think it would not work because establishing usb host mode takes more time as NOLO can wait with holding U key... But you can try :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
On an unrelated note, I see the package has made it to Extras, which is great, though I am curious:

1: Are we fairly confident this is pretty much safe for people to flash their devices with at this point? I mean flashing with essentially reverse-engineered tools is always a risky thing, but is it typically an error-free experience?

2: Can we add a bugtracker link to the Debian packaging? While I realize officially that's not a blocker since 2010, it seems to me like that is a nice thing to have and it only takes editing a single one of the .deb control files (assuming a bug tracker already exists for it - if not there's obviously the overhead of setting one up, but I suspect that's not an issue in this case)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
On an unrelated note, I see the package has made it to Extras, which is great, though I am curious:

1: Are we fairly confident this is pretty much safe for people to flash their devices with at this point? I mean flashing with essentially reverse-engineered tools is always a risky thing, but is it typically an error-free experience?
0xFFFF does not support local flashing yet. You can use it for generating or unpacking fiasco images or you can read CAL data (like hw revision, R&D flags, etc). But everything is read-only, no write support.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
2: Can we add a bugtracker link to the Debian packaging? While I realize officially that's not a blocker since 2010, it seems to me like that is a nice thing to have and it only takes editing a single one of the .deb control files (assuming a bug tracker already exists for it - if not there's obviously the overhead of setting one up, but I suspect that's not an issue in this case)?
I think that there is no bugtracker. If there are problems write here to this thread or send me email...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: