Notices

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Berlin, Germany
Piepmatz is a Twitter client for Sailfish OS

Welcome to Piepmatz - the new Twitter client for Sailfish OS. Already now, it supports many features which you need in your daily Twitter life:
  • Personal Timeline
  • Mentions
  • Search
  • Profile Pages
  • Complete display of extended tweets
  • Embedded tweets
  • Inline display of pictures
  • Multi-picture support, incl. pinch-to-zoom
  • Embedded video/animated GIF playback
  • Link preview powered by Open Graph (e.g. for Instagram, Facebook, news sites etc.)
  • Retweet/In Reply to information on top of tweet
  • Favorites/Retweet count with every tweet
  • Favorite/retweet directly from your timeline
  • Reply to other tweets
  • Follow/unfollow people
  • Attach images/videos to tweets
  • Open tweet in browser
  • A lot of eye-candy

Grab it now from OpenRepos or Jolla Store!
Development is still in progress, so please expect some glitches here or there. There are already some known issues for this version such as
  • Image slideshow may sometimes partly hide the profile picture on bigger screens
  • If you favorite or retweet a tweet, scroll down or up and return later to the tweet, the favorite/retweet indicator will be reset. You need to refresh the timeline to get a proper status then.
  • The application is generally not optimized for bigger screens yet, but runs fairly well on the Jolla Tablet for example

Many other features are in the pipeline, so ensure to have always the latest update installed. Next versions will include:
  • Direct messages
  • Caching of timeline/notifications etc.
  • Details view for tweet
  • Support to display more than the last 200 tweets
  • Geocode your tweets
  • Show trending topics
  • Use embedded web viewer for links
  • List of followers/following accounts in profile page
  • More video playback options
  • Custom filters on timeline
  • ...and many more...

In case you want to support the future development of Piepmatz, you don't need to donate anything. Please send me a picture postcard to my physical address from your home town/area/country instead! You can find the contact details on http://ygriega.de/y/index.php?/pages/impressum.html underneath "Adresse".

Moreover, I always appreciate feedback (good, bad, improvement/feature ideas etc.) about Piepmatz. However, please give me some time to reply. I have a 40+ hours/week day job and a private life.

Additionally, if you're a native speaker in a language which is currently not supported, translations are always welcome. You can find the sources on GitHub at https://github.com/Wunderfitz/harbour-piepmatz. Moreover, I've created a Transifex account asking for the 5 most used and currently untranslated languages (according to OpenRepos statistics), see https://www.transifex.com/wunderfitz/piepmatz/ Please acknowledge the GNU GPLv3 before contributing/forking. Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ygriega; 2017-05-04 at 08:24. Reason: Piepmatz 0.2 is out...

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Ygriega For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
Nice indeed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ancelad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Very tasty

The Following User Says Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The one thing missing from all other clients was a conversation view. If you implement that, you'll have my postcard!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The one thing missing from all other clients was a conversation view. If you implement that, you'll have my postcard!
What I can more or less guarantee for the not too distant future is a conversations view that shows all tweets from the current one up to the root one - if the displayed one is a reply.

If the displayed one is a "root" tweet and you want to see all replies to it, it will be a little bit complicated as there is no API for that. I'll need to implement a workaround that will most certainly only work if the displayed tweet is not older than 7 days. And even then, the view won't include all results as the search API only operates on a partial set of the tweets from the last week...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ygriega For This Useful Post:
Indeed promising

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Very nice! Good work. It is already usable and looks great.

A wishlist of mine:
- black background
- selection bar at the top
- setting to select refresh rate
- swipe up (not from the edge) to close picture
- if more than one picture could scroll to next picture with a swipe (left/right).
- zoom in the picture
- option to save picture/video

Strange behaviour:
- pull down until the top menu opens
- without selecting anything swipe up to go to the bottom of the list and then
- swipe up
the bottom list menu will open. This made accidentally select a few times one of the options.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
I definitely second that!

This something sorely missing from all current Sailfish OS Twitter clients - actually even most desktop Twitter clients can't do this!

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Very nice! Good work. It is already usable and looks great.

A wishlist of mine:
- black background
- selection bar at the top
- setting to select refresh rate
- swipe up (not from the edge) to close picture
- if more than one picture could scroll to next picture with a swipe (left/right).
- zoom in the picture

Strange behaviour:
- pull down until the top menu opens
- without selecting anything swipe up to go to the bottom of the list and then
- swipe up
the bottom list menu will open. This made accidentally select a few times one of the options.
Thanks for the feedback! Pinch-to-zoom for pictures will certainly come. Saving pictures and videos should also be possible.
Setting the refresh rate won't come before I implemented the caching stuff as I need to ensure that the list position remains the same even when an update happens in the background.

Things that probably won't be there:
  • Black background: Sailfish OS is (also) about transparency. If you want a black background, get a black ambience.
  • Swipe up to close the picture: I simply want to keep the Sailfish page stack navigation paradigm as much as possible.
  • Selection bar at the top: In theory you could make this configurable, but there is so much to implement concerning other features that I don't see this happen anytime soon

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ygriega For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ygriega View Post
What I can more or less guarantee for the not too distant future is a conversations view that shows all tweets from the current one up to the root one - if the displayed one is a reply.

If the displayed one is a "root" tweet and you want to see all replies to it, it will be a little bit complicated as there is no API for that. I'll need to implement a workaround that will most certainly only work if the displayed tweet is not older than 7 days. And even then, the view won't include all results as the search API only operates on a partial set of the tweets from the last week...
I think that's how Corebird does it, too. It works well enough in any case.

Originally Posted by Ygriega View Post
  • Selection bar at the top: In theory you could make this configurable, but there is so much to implement concerning other features that I don't see this happen anytime soon
Besides, it would make navigation more complicated because your thumb is at the bottom of the screen, not at the top.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: