Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Review SailfishOS made a newbie friendly guide how to integrate D* chat into the Sailfish Messages.
Whats your take on D*?
Are you using it, do invited friends visit you over there?
I joined the mentioned pod sechat to start a switch away from facebook, at least on selected topics.
You can find me via mosen@sechat.org and i would love to see some prime maemo and sfos content in my timeline

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Review SailfishOS made a newbie friendly guide how to integrate D* chat into the Sailfish Messages.
Whats your take on D*?
Are you using it, do invited friends visit you over there?
I joined the mentioned pod sechat to start a switch away from facebook, at least on selected topics.
You can find me via mosen@sechat.org and i would love to see some prime maemo and sfos content in my timeline
Sorry ain't gonna happen cause diaspora only used by geeks and been so for long.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm on D* but using it really rarely, as IRC is my main social media...
Perhaps I should start using Diaspora chat as an alternative solution.

as for this;

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Sorry ain't gonna happen cause diaspora only used by geeks and been so for long.
I could not care less for the "non-geek" populance anyway...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Diaspora replacing Facebook is not gonna happen and i do not want it to, i hate fb.
And that from someone actually profiting from fb...
I get perfect returns on ads i place there.

Still cool to have an easy to set up and reliable xmpp server that perfectly integrates to Jolla Messanger App.
Maybe even to bond a little more within the maemo/sailfish "scene".
I would not mind to just have more casual geek contacts on d* and the facetubers can stay where they are and do theyr thing...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Still cool to have an easy to set up and reliable xmpp server that perfectly integrates to Jolla Messanger App.
Maybe even to bond a little more within the maemo/sailfish "scene".
I would not mind to just have more casual geek contacts on d* and the facetubers can stay where they are and do theyr thing...
Since when is D* easy to set up?... Last time I checked it was quite convoluted, and required an external xmpp server. Now I do have an xmpp server running, OpenFire, which actually is quite easy to set up. (Single .deb file for Debian and friends, or executable on Windows) Using a startssl.com certificate makes secure communication with other parties and phones (including Jolla) without extra steps.

But, a substantial limitation of these xmpp thingies on Jolla is the total lack of file transfer, and thus media sharing like WhatsApp has. I want to snap a picture and send it to the other party, for them to view without hassle. And vice versa. Also, MUC is missing. That are major drawbacks to get people to xmpp. Even on the desktop it's not as smooth as could be. (Using Ktp on Kubuntu)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:

Tags
chats, diaspora, messages, messenger, sailfish