So I was installing a version of cron on my n800 (os2007), and it suggested to run crontab -e to setup after cron was installed. But then I didn't recognise the editor that opened up and couldn't figure out how to use it (most of the old-style CLI editors require ESC key, which I don't see on osso-xterm...). I fell back on putting cron jobs into a temp file and "installing" that using crontab, but I'm still curious about which editor opens as the os2007 default. Anyone know?

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by ArgentSilver View Post
So I was installing a version of cron on my n800 (os2007), and it suggested to run crontab -e to setup after cron was installed. But then I didn't recognise the editor that opened up and couldn't figure out how to use it (most of the old-style CLI editors require ESC key, which I don't see on osso-xterm...). I fell back on putting cron jobs into a temp file and "installing" that using crontab, but I'm still curious about which editor opens as the os2007 default. Anyone know?
You can control this behaviour by setting the EDITOR shell variable. Setting it to something like (for ash)
export EDITOR=vi

should set you up for vi (if that is what you wanted).

I hope this helps,

Craig...

OK, but even vi requires the use of the Esc key, right? I don't use the command line editor enough to remember the commands, so I tend to stick to nano, which doesn't need me to remember anything! (And yes I know that real geeks only use vi or emacs...)

Of course, if I'd thought of it I could have used the 'export EDITOR' approach to set nano as the default (yes, I had it on there).

Ultimately, I'm just curious as to what editor the n800 does default to... and can you generate 'Esc' from osso-xterm?

Esc is the "back" hardware key on the N800, probably the same for N810.

I don't like vi, and I don't like emacs. I consider myself a real geek, and I use JOE. Wordstar-based key-binds FTW!

Have you tried using the hardware Escape button, above the Menu button on the N800?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
There is also "leafpad", a simple editor with GUI, startable from the command line.

i like PyGtkEditor on OS2008.

Leafpad isn't very helpful IMHO; it only accesses files within MyDocs from the file selector. You could use it from command line, but why endure such hassle? Install a real text-editor, use it with the flying-keyboard xterm, and be happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Have you tried using the hardware Escape button, above the Menu button on the N800?
Unfortunately I was in clueless n00b mode and didn't think of that!

Oh well... <smacks forehead>

Last edited by ArgentSilver; 2007-12-18 at 00:49.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Leafpad isn't very helpful IMHO; it only accesses files within MyDocs from the file selector. You could use it from command line, but why endure such hassle? Install a real text-editor, use it with the flying-keyboard xterm, and be happy.
I'm with you on this. I had already stuck nano on there as my favorite 'real' editor, since I don't need to use a command line editor often enough to remember the command keystrokes for vi or joe. I hadn't noticed the 'flying keyboard' xterm though; looks like it might be easier to use, so I'll check it out. Thanks!