Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
Thanks joerg_rw, to my surprise Samsung galaxy tab 2 work with Nokia's wired headsets with microphone (for ie. WH-103), tested with skype and gtalk.

Now this really saddens me as Jolla doesn't work, but when you mention that latest Lumia's know how to switch between standards, maybe Jolla can this, too, just need to "learn". I really hope so

Last edited by sponka; 2013-12-27 at 20:22.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
sorry that's also a misconception. When Nokia N900 and N9 didn't work with your car stereo then you used the wrong adapter cable, that's all.
I doubt whether there is a possibility to put a stereo jack plug into my JVC car unit. I tried Bluetooth and USB with N900 and N9, couldn't make it work. My wife's Samsung SIII can use both Bluetooth and USB.
But the main message was: Jolla + Bluetooth + JVC = working for me.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Another important compatibility for me is a solar charger. I use the Waka waka power. Both N900 and N9 refused to charge with it, the Jolla is happily charging.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Another important compatibility for me is a solar charger. I use the Waka waka power. Both N900 and N9 refused to charge with it, the Jolla is happily charging.
As mentioned (though not elaborated) above, the N9xx devices were very USB compliant to avoid any mishap that could happen to some crappy non-compliant laptop that's braking when a device tries to pull 500mA without proper prior negotiation about the fact. Also some really cheap crappy USB chargers could break and catch fire - in THEORY. Thus N9xx only dared to pull 100mA until charger signals it's a fast charger. Probably Jolla revisited this design rule and does like all other devices: assume 500mA is always safe to draw.
You however could change that behaviour on N900, at least when using stuff like charge12.sh or pali's kernel based bme replacement. On Jolla I don't see any path to do such system level tinkering, last not least for the missing hw docs (aka schematics and BOM). Not that I'd think some charge12.sh would be feasible for stock N9 firmware either. Both are pretty same it seems.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The N9 also refuses to charge via apple charger, which probably isn't a dumb charger. It complains about not enough power.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The N9 also refuses to charge via apple charger, which probably isn't a dumb charger. It complains about not enough power.
Apple charger has a resistor voltage divider on both D+ and D-, fed from 5V VBus, so you have signalling analog voltage levels on D+ and D- telling iPhone how much the charger can do.
This doesn't work for N9, as elaborated above, since N9 only checks for the simpler more robust D-/- shortcircuit to detect fastchargers that are supposed to deliver at least 1200mA or somesuch. Otherwise N9 will assume USB host and try to enumerate and negotiate max VBus current it may draw. Neither of both works with Apple charger.

recommended read: http://learn.adafruit.com/minty-boost/icharging

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-28 at 12:42.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post

I have a bunch of adapters like this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004YX...dir_mdp_mobile

All it does is short the two middle pins forcing the N9 to think the charger is ok. You can make them easily enough yourself but back when I found one on ebay they were a couple of quid. It easier to let someone else do the soldering.

I bet that would get your solar charger working on the N9(00).

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ In the Arctic part of Norway
Jolla connected to a Pioneer DEH-6400BT CD/Radio car unit over bluetooth works well.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I can't get my Nokia bh-214 to work. Probably need to get another one.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
I'am looking for a new headset for my new Jolla but I don't know which Headset is fully compatible..

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I have a Lumia 800 [..] - the headphones do [...] work with the [...] Jolla.
So i assume that any Headset which is compatible with Lumia 610/ 800/ 820/ 900/ 920 will also work on Jolla?!
The question is: will also the Volume keys of some Headsets be functional?

Do you think the Nokia WH-920 Purity Stereo Headset by Monster will be fully functional with Jolla?

Edit: Any suggestions for a good headset?

Last edited by willi6868; 2014-01-23 at 21:59.