Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm starting to eye a mini9 more and more every day
If you act right now then you might have enough money left for a Mini 9 and a new tablet ...

http://portablemonkey.com/site/199-d...When:13:58:36Z

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Maybe, instead, we can start debating how to pronounce it instead?
That one's really easy. IPA or audio.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
"Fremantle", as in "Fremantle".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremant...tern_Australia
Easy, eh? :-P

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"What silence are you getting from Maemo?"

Gee, I don't even remember mentioning Maemo. Can someone furnish a quote where I mentioned it? Ever?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
From where I'm sitting, the next generation device(s) sounds even more powerful, flexible, and well thought out than my beloved N810, so I'm happy to wait a few more months before diving in. The new audio system alone makes it HUGELY appealing to me.

And yes, I'll be an early adopter again, especially as some lucky pickpocket in Stockholm now owns the aforementioned N810. I wish I could've been there when they discovered that there's no SIM slot...

I'm equally eager to see how Nokia handles Maemo integration with Ovi - lots of potential there.

So the waiting continues... but it'll be worth it.

I bought a mini 9 a couple days ago and I am going to be putting my n800 on ebay within a couple weeks(once I get a better idea of how well the mini can replace it). I think my nintendo DS is going to be taking over PIM duty from now on, either that or I can get a new battery for my axim(or my palm m505).

I figure this is as good a place as any to put my "good bye cruel world" post.

The n800 is pretty cool, but it is handicapped at every turn. You can watch youtube videos, sorta. You can run full linux desktop environments, with a giant swap file. You can listen to music, but not ogg(seriously nokia, WTF?). It has a touchscreen, but the iphone is much nicer. USB OTG, that doesn't work properly. FM tuner, that isn't enabled by default and seems to drain the battery even when not running. The beautiful LCD, that you can't watch movies on. The webcam, that I have never ever ever used for anything ever at all.

Oh, and did I mention that it sucks hard at web browisng? For ****s sake. Nokia owns the company that employs the people who invented webkit(khtml), and the piece of **** that is microB is the best they can come up with? I bought this just because I thought the 800x480 LCD would be perfect for web browsing(coming from a Dell axim X30 with a 320x240, with IE), but microB is so bad that the iphone actually comes up on top here, despite the tiny low res LCD. And the fact that it is easier to type on an iphone in portrait mode than it is to write on the n800 in landscape is just criminal. You won't see me buying an iphone though, overpriced piece of proprietary crap(with a nice touch screen and keyboard).

The n800 is such a nice piece of hardware, but it was rendered entirely useless by maemo. The dual SDHC cards are amazing, the LCD is excellent, the push out web cam is nifty, the kick stand, the stereo speakers, the amazing build quality, the whole thing just so nice... and yet so useless.

Edit: sorry if this post is a bit off topic, I read the first few pages and then I read the post above about the mini 9 and thought I would add my 2 cents.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good condition n800...

Last edited by drizek; 2009-02-28 at 07:31.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It's funny you know, posts like this make me feel like a genius. I *am* watching films on it, listening to ogg music, browsing on a webkit browser (Nokia doesn't own Qt long enough to make a difference, IMHO, but still), using the webcam for gizmo and various funnies. As for swapping and desktop OS, it's hard to contest that it's better at it than the Axim running windows XP. Flash, well, that's Adobe's responsibility at least as much as Nokias. The fact that mytube with a 3rd party player does so much better than the official flash player speaks volumes. Can't comment on keyboard as I'm on a N810, OTG ditto. All in all, it's just what it says it is, a tinkerer's OSS device, far from perfect but gets better by the day. I don't see how your problems will be resolved with either a WinMo device or how you will stuff a Mini9 in your pocket. You do sound like a future Archos person, in need of an Opera browser, good video and media performance.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Nokia is doing something. It's just not the something you want, or at the speed you want. (I want them to be releasing a $99 tablet, with a 1024x600 screen with limited bezel, the thickness of an iPod Touch, with the power of a 2GHz Intel Core Duo, the interface of an iPhone, the openness of Mer and the battery life of a Psion Series 3)
Before Karel wakes up, I'll fill in a couple of glaring omissions : the keyboard of a Psion Series 5, and the HWR of a Newton :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
[Post moved to its own thread due to topic]

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2009-02-28 at 13:39.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Drizek. I am puzzled......

I have an N800 and have no problems taking pictures, using a CDROM or portable HDD, watching Youtube or DVD videos, having videoconferences. I do wish at times that the screen were bigger, but that would lose the portability of the unit.

As for the NEXT unit from Nokia, IMHO, Nokia is a business that likes to make money. They have to balance the needs of their future customers against their need to protect the IP. I do not like the way they do it, but I respect it. When the 770 came out, I liked it but did not buy because the unit I borrowed was too useless, in my opinion. When the 800 came out, I waited several months before buying. It took a year to learn how to do everything I do with it. (Which is everything I do on my WinXP box.) I'm sure that in the depths of Nokia that there are a group of people that work on designing the next tablets and they are constantly bugging the higher ups with ; "Can I please just show a few of our enthusiests what we've done so far?" With the answer, when weighed against the IP is still, at the beginning of March, "No". (It hurts but this is a fact of life in business that has to be realized.)

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?