Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
My plan is simple. Use my N900 until I see something in the market place that does as good a job or better, then consider it. You could wring your hands for months trying to figure out which one might be better. In the end, it will depend how much the hardware manufacturers and/or retailers want to lock it down.

I'll tell you what I think when I see a real device. Until then, it's all pie-in-the-sky, and may as well be vaporware.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 68 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
<snip>

I'll tell you what I think when I see a real device. Until then, it's all pie-in-the-sky, and may as well be vaporware.
I agree. After the debacle with HP and the Pre3/webOS 3, I wouldn't put any faith in all these pie in the sky alternatives. All of them so far have either released fancy videos or a simulator/sdk, but none have come anywhere close to a 1.0 release. Meanwhile the Android juggernaut rolls on....even Microsoft can't seem to make a dent with Windowsphone. The longer these alternatives take, the more iOS and Android cement their current users further into their ecosystems

(And unless the carriers support it, the hardware manufacturers are less likely to release phones based on a particular OS or release the vital code to make an alternative OS work with their phones.)

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
- Ubuntu is too far
- Jolla UI and graphics looks ugly
- Tizen reminds me android and i hate android
- BB10 looks awesome, it looks like harmattan but it is out of linux

So i'll wait for jolla to enhance its crappy look

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flotron For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Hehe, loosers.
Forgive my interruption; however I just wanted to correct this. It should be "losers" - and yes, not having Qt, OpenGL and many other ways to develop for WP is quite the losing battle.

But with WP8, they are at least Unity3D compatible. That's something that brings me joy.

BB10 has my attention so far. Jolla, I'll wait for a push into my territory before I make it a priority.

Carry on...

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-01-04 at 06:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 148 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Yerevan
We know for sure that Ubuntu for mobile is free software.
We don't yet know whether Sailfish interface will be free.

So I believe there will be third party build of Ubuntu for mobile without Amazon etc.

Actually, even now we can have it and test it on n900/n9/n950 - there are sources.

And eventually - they use QML and Qt - this means that Qt apps from Maemo, Harmattan, Nemo, Sailfish will be easily ported to Ubuntu phone. And vice versa.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norayr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
We know for sure that Ubuntu for mobile is free software.
Pertaining Canonical's interest in making their venture commercially viable, and judging by their past wrongdoings, i wouldn't bet my b*lls on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Tizen with non native apps is not an option for me. Ubuntu seems nice but we have to keep in mind tha cannonical promised tvs last year and we still haven't seen a product yet. Jolla is for me the only valid option because unlike cannonical they are not searching for someone to use their os but will lauch their own jolla branded devices.

I'd guess Sailfish has the same chances to have open UI as Ubuntu for mobile. Time will tell.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lOpNajx3xI
The Ubuntu Mobile product manager says, its a normal ubuntu with the same codebase, only another user interface, so i think there are all the standard linux things running, like dbus, pulseaudio, etc...
My english is not the best but i think i have heard that normal desktops applications will run too and to adapt desktop apps to mobile ui will be very very easy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndiThebest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, you are correct. But to replace desktop you should connect to bigger screen. But i don't think you can use desktop application?

Ubuntu will release their version first, but jolla will be way ahead with device. Will be a hard battle. From the gui, I think I favor ubuntu atm.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-06 at 20:33.