Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I don't know how open Sailfish will be...
Sailfish will be mostly open and apps will run on Nemo (if Nemo team so desires).

https://sailfishos.org/wiki/QA

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's way early to get a list like that. But I do agree. That would be really intressting with a list like that. A list without personal options and only facts. I'm looking for a desktop like OS so ubuntu is my number one now, but the road is long, and so is the year so we probably changing our minds x amount of times before finding the right path. I fear I have to buy atleast four devices this year.

Anyone up to compose a list like that? Start slow and add things as we go? Maybe we could do it in this thread?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-03 at 22:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
This is pretty much what I feel - but I'm still looking for more than reputation. Some facts would be cool.

Do you know of sites that list components that the OSs use? Like pulseaudio, avahi, bluez, dbus, qt, blabla... Knowing that they use established technologies at all (rather than homebrew solutions) would at least be a good indication for the "desktopness" of the system, maybe also for the willingness to collaborate with the outside world.
In regards to Mer - it's not a secret:
http://releases.merproject.org/relea...kages/armv7hl/
Jolla will publish their rootfs later, since they didn't finish working on it yet. But it would contain the packages from Mer.

Tizen's packages can be seen here:
https://review.tizen.org/git/

And regarding the mobile Ubuntu - I'm not sure. I don't think they even published what their architecture is. Regular Ubuntu with libhybris binding to Android? Just UI on top of Android or what? So I really can't tell.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-03 at 22:11.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I'll also add THP's mobile OS comparison matrix. It doesn't have Sailfish (yet), but it has Harmattan, BB10 and Tizen.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I'll also add THP's mobile OS comparison matrix. It doesn't have Sailfish (yet), but it has Harmattan, BB10 and Tizen.
Don't get this listing. Would maemo get yellow or red on pyGame? Some (more) are running with latest builds but compatibility is low. Assuming tizen's row is correct it seems to be at the end of my wish list, but something's have to be wrong considering shmerl's impressive listing of libraries ready for tizen... confused

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Much of this Ubuntu phone FAQ was covered in the announcement but hopefully it will be of some interest and add a little clarification on the topic...

What is interesting though, is that they have stated they are looking to release their first phones in late Q3 2013 with an entry level device and a "Superphone" (I like that word, it reminds me of the n900), so hopefully we won't have to wait until next year.

Read the FAQ for details http://www.ubuntu.com/static/u/files...-phone-FAQ.pdf

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
WP: SDL: No, Qt: No, OpenGL: No
Hehe, loosers.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
maemo/moblin/meego/tizen/mer/sailfish, so many forks an merges, steve jobs would say thats incredible unbeliveable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7v815bYUw

when i have software based on qwidget, so no qml, it will only run on sailfish, not on ubuntu, am i right?
edit: and will run on bb10 too?

Last edited by AndiThebest; 2013-01-04 at 00:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndiThebest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Assuming tizen's row is correct it seems to be at the end of my wish list, but something's have to be wrong considering shmerl's impressive listing of libraries ready for tizen... confused
The main problem with Tizen (right after closed development & code drops) is that their main focus is on HTML5 based application development. So if you write a native application for Tizen, you might not even be able to distribute it thought the official channels once/if Tizen finally appears on some real devices.

Originally Posted by AndiThebest View Post
when i have software based on qwidget, so no qml, it will only run on sailfish, not on ubuntu, am i right?
edit: and will run on bb10 too?
Well, according to this article about Blackberry Qt development, a QWidget applications should actually run as a full set of Qt libraries is available.

And also note, on top of the comparison matrix page:

A (very likely incomplete) list of random characteristics of the current mobile OS landscape from the PoV of a MeeGo developer with a Python background.

Send corrections and additions this way.
I'm sure THP would be happy if you send him corrections & enhancements (such as a Sailfish & Ubuntu Mobile row).

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Prague, Czech
I dont like things near to vendor lock.
I dont like words kind of: "easy work with our iCloud/GoogleDrive/SkyDrive/UbuntuCloud"
And don't forget Ubuntu Amazon search fail ..

When i buy smartphone i select Nokia N9. Nokia don't force own one-only-right service (except maps, but this is true wanted service without harvest my infos). Nokia provide to me freedom to use many STANDARD web services (dropbox, webdav,..) an many STANDARD IM services(jabber,SIP,..). It's over.
I hope, Jolla will continue this trend ..

Last edited by Kaacz; 2013-01-04 at 01:17.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaacz For This Useful Post: