Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
If you find any info, post it here! I'm very interested in seeing more!
I sure hope they don't force me to search for exploits with which to root my device!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
.... you know they will!

Thankfully, these things are usually one-click apps these days.

Here's the offical Galaxy Tab page (requires flash):
http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

I recall the N900 marketed in a similar way. Maybe it was something else.

It also confirms the GPS unit, and that there will be skype available for the device.

Sadly the stylus on the 'accessories' page looks simply like a capacitive stylus.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-09-02 at 16:54.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hard to tell, it could be thick enough to fit a AAA and bluetooth chip.

Hardware wise tab looks nice, but i still can't see reason to buy it. Granted this coming from a guy who buys at least two top end phones a year that's talking about gadgets buys that make sense, but still i would like to see a UI that's actually made for the task, not enlarged version of Android 2.2 or IOS4.

Ipad IMO got the screen size right as the 7" to me sounds kind of a half *** version where you still can't put it to your pocket but neither is the screen really that big.

I just want a tablet not a device that's bigger than it's phone version with some umph inside to playback all my videos through HDMI out and same browsing experience as i'm getting from my home computer.

EDIT: Just noticed that tab would be getting Gingerbread. That might actually change things. Lets see how that goes.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/s...oneycomb-gala/

Last edited by tissot; 2010-09-02 at 17:19.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
hard to tell, it could be thick enough to fit a AAA and bluetooth chip.
I'm still hoping that it's bluetooth. Of course, you're right. Bluetooth devices are quite small these days, and with a LiPo battery, this thing could easily house electronics.

I suppose it's a wait and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Hardware wise tab looks nice, but i still can't see reason to buy it. Granted this coming from a guy who buys at least two top end phones a year that's talking about gadgets buys that make sense, but still i would like to see a UI that's actually made for the task, not enlarged version of Android 2.2 or IOS4.

Ipad IMO got the screen size right as the 7" to me sounds kind of a half *** version where you still can't put it to your pocket but neither is the screen really that big.

I just want a tablet not a device that's bigger than it's phone version with some umph inside to playback all my videos through HDMI out and same browsing experience as i'm getting from my home computer.

EDIT: Just noticed that tab would be getting Gingerbread. That might actually change things. Lets see how that goes.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/s...oneycomb-gala/
Thankfully the Tab will also be available in 10" for those that want a larger size.

Apparently, HDMI out (via the dock, or PDMI connector) can playback 1080p videos on a large screen. It appears this is a special feature of the video player. All other output will be a mirror of the Tab's resolution.

I personally think 7" is the perfect casual size. Of course this is just opinion, and not based on anything concrete. I can only picture, in my minds eye, actually using a 7" screen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Thankfully the Tab will also be available in 10" for those that want a larger size.

Apparently, HDMI out (via the dock, or PDMI connector) can playback 1080p videos on a large screen. It appears this is a special feature of the video player. All other output will be a mirror of the Tab's resolution.

I personally think 7" is the perfect casual size. Of course this is just opinion, and not based on anything concrete. I can only picture, in my minds eye, actually using a 7" screen.
Is there really? There where rumours about it, but i haven't seen it being announced. Can hummingbird really push flawless 1080p(i believe it got the same GPU as Galaxy S, SGX540)? I haven't been really able to test it as galaxy S doesn't have HDMI out.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Is there really? There where rumours about it, but i haven't seen it being announced. Can hummingbird really push flawless 1080p(i believe it got the same GPU as Galaxy S, SGX540)? I haven't been really able to test it as galaxy S doesn't have HDMI out.
Charbax of ArmDevices did a video preview at the Samsung event, and I gather they talked about this (I'd have to watch it again to be sure). Of course it's hard to tell the res from a youtube video

The official samsung site states that the Tab does "full 1080p" playback. It would have to be downsampled on the screen, but if outed to HDMI would be full.

This is really nice, though storage becomes the bottleneck, IMO, for it to be really useful. Some 1080p movies are 10-40GiB!

Here's a cool bonus:

The Tab comes with the ThinkFree office app for viewing/editing office applications!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfb8YFIK95E

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy