Active Topics

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Man on one hand I'm afraid that by the time Nokia's MeeGo baby comes out, it won't run hardware that's still current. I think that by Christmas 2010 1Ghz processors will be the stock frequency in a lot of high-end phones.

Then on the other hand I remember that d'oh, "its going to be running Linux!" and my worries fly away again 8).

Pretty much (if not all) all devices you see are planned a year in advance. More then a year if you just think in potential concepts. Then comes negotiation, engineering, etc..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
And it was already said, that the first MeeGo device won't run on a dual-core chip.
It will run on a (hummingbird-like) Cortex A8 clocked at 1Ghz.
omap36xx probably - 1GHz clock replacement of omap34xx from N900

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Hrw View Post
Dual core ARM is nothing new. Cortex-A9 core based cpus were shown by few manufacturers already.
Not very surprising. ARM architecture was created for desktops.

Isnt dual core cpu's going to eat your battery like pringles?

Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
Isnt dual core cpu's going to eat your battery like pringles?
Depends on how they are used. If both are running at full speed to do all operations? Then yes. If they're used to split a task but take less cycles than a single core CPU? Then no

It's also like what consumes more battery life, a task running at 250 mhz clocked CPU or a 600 mhz clocked CPU. The 600 clock gets it done alot faster than the 250 mhz, so it spends less time in use therefore not consuming as much battery over a prolonged time.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Let me get to work on developing liquid cooling solutions for overclocked dual core cell phones.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Not convinced this is a dual-core device.

As pointed out in the article, the "up to 3x faster in some tests" is based on GLbenchmark, which is an OpenGL suite of tests and (as pointed out in this forum post) the original 1GHz SnapDragon (presumably as used in the HTC EVO) had a poor GPU.

Presumably the new 1.2GHz SnapDragon SoC in the Glacier now has a better GPU explaining why it is slightly faster (on GLBenchmark) than the 1GHz clocked Samsung Galaxy S (which already had an updated GPU) - the difference is due to the increased clock frequency of the single core ARM in the Glacier, not the presence of second core.

For the record, I'd prefer a slower clocked dual core device (eg. dual 600Mhz-800Mhz) than a fast clocked single core device (1GHz+), and a highly clocked dual core device is probably ridiculous/overkill.

Agree that MeeGo is probably best placed to exploit SMP but tweaking the VM may be all that's required in order for Android to make better use of additional cores.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
And it was already said, that the first MeeGo device won't run on a dual-core chip.
It will run on a (hummingbird-like) Cortex A8 clocked at 1Ghz.
dang. Where was this said?

Isn't A8 oldschool, and A9 is expected soon?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Why the heck has HTC had 1ghz snapdragon phones out for what seems to be a long time, and Nokia's N9 (asuming that will be the first MeeGo device after all) will get a 1ghz processor, in the future.

Also, hummingbird > snapdragon? 1ghz is 1ghz is 1ghz?

EDIT:

So the snapdragon we seen in all these HTCs is made by qualcomm, and the hummingbird is made in house by Samsung, as seen in their galaxy s? So Nokia is gonna source cpu's from Samsung?

Also, is anyone willing to teach me by adding N900 info to this chart ?

Last edited by SAABoy; 2010-08-05 at 14:27.