The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
QML component API's to come together?

Somehow I doubt it. They have different priorities and different legacy.
They will probably just copy the stuff that they find useful and that is the extend that these apis will "come together".
In the end these products are mostly competing for the same users, and I doubt the market is large enough for 3 successful QML platforms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
So, MWC13 is over and what is your thoughts?
I think Sailfish shined more than others (Ubuntu, Firefox and Tizen), the new demos are really awesome (the system seems very mature) and the SDK is being highly praised.
While Ubuntu [Developer Preview] is being received with much skepticism about the system structure/architecture and Firefox/Tizen just looks like the same Android...

The Following User Says Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
My impression is that both Firefox and Ubuntu did well in marketing their products. These systems were mentioned all over the web.
Both Firefox and Ubuntu were able to tell something new to the world (carrier support, actual phones, first real demonstration etc.).

Both Tizen and Jolla basically just said : "we are working on it, it is getting better, will be available soon". So I reserve judgement until actual availability.

I also thought that Nokia had some very good products to show.
Very colorful Lumia products. All with extremely powerful SoC, and with the same Windows Phone 8 spanning an extremely competitive price-range. If this doesn't put WP8 firmly in the third spot of Mobile OS-es nothing will.

Currently Nokia Series 40 and Blackberry still have a large marketshare, but I believe these will soon be fighting for the fourth place with Firefox OS, Tizen, Ubuntu, BB10 and Sailfish.

I must admit that I'm usually wrong in these predictions, but I think that only Ubuntu and Firefox OS have any staying power. Not because the quality of the products, but because phones aren't their primary business.
Series 40, Blackberry, Jolla and Tizen need to make enough money from a relatively small marketshare to fund development. This problem is the biggest for Series 40 and BB10 since the kernel is also developed internally (non-linux kernel).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
I think Android will enter a plateau where it will dominate about 70% of all mobile phones in the world.

iPhone will only secure a 20% of all phones.

Windows Phone will secure about 5%.

Blackberry will be number 4 with around 3% of the market share.

That means 2% will be shared between Tizen, Firefox, Ubuntu, WebOS, Jolla, and probably in that order.

I always hoped the top three would be in close competition, and leave at least 10% for the rest of the contenders. But what do you know, business calls for monopolies.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
That means 2% will be shared between Tizen, Firefox, Ubuntu, WebOS, Jolla, and probably in that order.
I don't believe any new mobile phone is planned with WebOS, so Jolla should be able to get a bigger market-share than WebOS.

I would be surprised if Android actually maintains those market share numbers. I'm sure it will improve with the next release, but there most likely will remain a significant amount of annoying aspects to Android that people will consider alternatives.
In general I still recommend iOS over Android for new smartphone users (especially people that aren't comfortable with computers), and I get the impression that WP8 might also be more suitable for that audience (will find out when I test WP8 myself).

I fear that Blackberry is very much doomed. While the use of Qt may offset some development cost and enable more application development for the platform, the use of QNX os will ultimately make them uncompetitive. They need market-share to make maintaining their own OS financially feasible, but Blackberry doesn't have the financial resources to get it.
Nokia has the same problem with series 40. As the featurephone market shrinks and they need to add new features to stay competitive with budget Android en Firefox phones, developing your own OS becomes increasingly less attractive.

Because opensource Ubuntu, Jolla, Tizen and Firefox can piggyback much more on the development in the entire opensource mobile space.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I don't believe any new mobile phone is planned with WebOS, so Jolla should be able to get a bigger market-share than WebOS.
With this news that might change.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
My plan is simple. Use my N900 until I see something in the market place that does as good a job or better, then consider it. You could wring your hands for months trying to figure out which one might be better. In the end, it will depend how much the hardware manufacturers and/or retailers want to lock it down.

I'll tell you what I think when I see a real device. Until then, it's all pie-in-the-sky, and may as well be vaporware.
He is absolutely Right. In my case I have not a N900 but an N9. I won't take anything less. But my bets are for Tizen since it's an effort regulated by the Linux Fundation (No matter Intel & Samsung are paying the bills), so is the official Linux phone.

On the other hand, well Ubuntu passed from the glory to the shame. Ubuntu is not open, is highly over populated with spam and SUCKS big time.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by erparom View Post
He is absolutely Right. In my case I have not a N900 but an N9. I won't take anything less. But my bets are for Tizen since it's an effort regulated by the Linux Fundation (No matter Intel & Samsung are paying the bills), so is the official Linux phone.

On the other hand, well Ubuntu passed from the glory to the shame. Ubuntu is not open, is highly over populated with spam and SUCKS big time.
Can't wait for people come here and post about how open tizen is

This will be fun.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: