It's a Playbook then and it will be almost $100 cheaper than Nexus Im gonna use it mostly to surf the world wide, download and watch movies, use some android apps and connect it with hdmi to the flat screen But thanks for the help all!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
1024x600 vs 1280x720. Case closed

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Go Ubuntu as fast as possible and that means Nexus 7.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
1024x600 vs 1280x720. Case closed
Less pixels to render-> better performance.

Well, will be interesting to see how all the applications that expect a high DPI screen behave or if they need to be modified to work at all.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, there is no official BB10-for-PlayBook timeline so far.

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-02-03 at 13:00.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I'm not a fan of pointlessly high density screens but as with print anything under 200ppi is unacceptable. 300 is the value over which it becomes pointless, i.e. you can't read because letters are small and not because they don't have enough detail.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-02-03 at 13:58. Reason: s/need/have/

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I'm not a fan of pointlessly high density screens but as with print anything under 200ppi is unacceptable. 300 is the value over which it becomes pointless, i.e. you can't read because letters are small and not because they don't need enough detail.
Yep, the application needs to make sure the UI elements are not too small on a high DPI screen. Otherwise the result is horrendous.

Still, for my manga/comic book reader, the screen on Dev Alpha is very nice, as in landscape, the horizontal resolution is about the same or greater as the width of most pages/images:

So you can read about everything with fit to width in landscape without having to scroll to the side.

And even with portrait & fit to screen, most pages look good (thin lines don't vanish) and text is readable:

So on a decently sized screen (>=7 inch) with decent DPI (>=300) it should be finally possible to comfortably read all pages in portrait without scrolling at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: