from what i gather, no devices?

besides updating the OS and accessing the SD cards from a different computer.

thanks in advance.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
I believe if you put a different kernel on you can connect the n800 to usb peripherals if there are drivers. I would guess mass storage devices like usb keys and hard drives would work, but you would need to supply them with a power supply as the n800 is not capable of such a feature yet.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by james.bottomtooth View Post
from what i gather, no devices?

besides updating the OS and accessing the SD cards from a different computer.

thanks in advance.
Out of the box, the N800's USB bus is slave only, meaning that it can show up as a mass storage device on another computer. And that's it, as far as Nokia is concerned.

Nevertheless, rumours are circling that an experimental USB host mode driver is actually working, meaning that you might in the forseeable future actually hook up devices on your N800.

For the "old" 770, a fully functional USB host kernel is available. Do remember that neither device has power hooked up to their USB ports, so even if you get USB host mode working, you still need a modified USB cable or hub to provide power to the USB ports.

[OBIWANMODE]
Search the forum, Luke...
[/OBIWANMODE]

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
[OBIWANMODE]
Search the forum, Luke...
[/OBIWANMODE]
i was combing through... wanted just to make sure i didn't miss anything..

i think admins should combine some threads on common topics, if it's possible, since replies sometimes vary... plus pin-up some commonly raised questions.

(sorry i don't want to sound like the gent that was demanding answers straight up)

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Nevertheless, rumours are circling that an experimental USB host mode driver is actually working, meaning that you might in the forseeable future actually hook up devices on your N800.
Karel, I remember having read here on the forums about a "USB on the go" chip which I do not know exactly what it is, and that wans't the "hardware easter egg" we heard talking about so much. Neither it was the FM chip.

So two questions; why do we still not have the USB host mode on N800 (I thought it was easier to implement due to the presence of the above mentioned chip) and what are the fabulous hardware easter eggs we should expect from nokia...

Omar

/* edit */

Talking about this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=33903

Last edited by maxilogan; 2007-05-15 at 09:31.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
Karel, I remember having read here on the forums about a "USB on the go" chip which I do not know exactly what it is, and that wans't the "hardware easter egg" we heard talking about so much. Neither it was the FM chip.

So two questions; why do we still not have the USB host mode on N800 (I thought it was easier to implement due to the presence of the above mentioned chip) and what are the fabulous hardware easter eggs we should expect from nokia...

Omar

/* edit */

Talking about this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?p=33903
We do have host mode on the N800 -- sort of. See this link:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/21371

And just to set the record: I don't work for Nokia, so I have no idea what easter eggs might or might not still lurk inside the N800. In any case, if there still is one (or more) inside, and Nokia thinks it would be funny to wait half a year to unveil them, I'm gonna find the closest Nokia representative I can, and kick 'im inna 'nads.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
We do have host mode on the N800 -- sort of. See this link:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/21371
Yes I knew about that link, but OSB host was already enough user un-friendly on the 770 to let me even think of trying this.

And just to set the record: I don't work for Nokia, so I have no idea what easter eggs might or might not still lurk inside the N800. In any case, if there still is one (or more) inside, and Nokia thinks it would be funny to wait half a year to unveil them, I'm gonna find the closest Nokia representative I can, and kick 'im inna 'nads.
LOL! I would do the same, too

To avoid any sexual discrimination lawsuits by disgruntled female Nokia employees, I'd like to append to my previous message the following text:

"... or kick 'er inna fanny."

You girls happy now?