@preflex thanks a lot!
Is there a way to close all the stuff gracefully? Meaning, I ran DeskChroot.sh and now want to close all XFCE etc sessions and restore the pre-start_xwayland status?

Does anyone else have the issue that the airplane mode is "shown" after running manjaro? I guess its not really going into airplane mode, as mobile internet is still working, but the symbol is shown.

Edit: i also noticed that the phone doesn't reboot properly (get's stuck and needs 10-sec power-off button press) to start normally after running DeskChroot.sh

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
@preflex thanks a lot!
Is there a way to close all the stuff gracefully? Meaning, I ran DeskChroot.sh and now want to close all XFCE etc sessions and restore the pre-start_xwayland status?

Does anyone else have the issue that the airplane mode is "shown" after running manjaro? I guess its not really going into airplane mode, as mobile internet is still working, but the symbol is shown.

Edit: i also noticed that the phone doesn't reboot properly (get's stuck and needs 10-sec power-off button press) to start normally after running DeskChroot.sh
Before you exit out of the chroot, from terminal do a ps to see what is running. Kill all the processes related to wayland and such. I just did that and turned phone off and on with no problem. Also everything was unmounted. Would be nice to have scripts to automate this and unmount file system to make it a nice clean process. Can try later when I have some time.

EDIT: Actually, if you do a shutdown from the desktop everything is unmounted. Then just kill kwin/wayland related processes from terminal.

Last edited by mscion; 2017-03-02 at 20:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
After testing your rootfs more thoroughly, I noticed that neither firefox nor chromium can access the internet. Chromium gives the error "err_internet_disconnected".

However, pacman and others can access the internet.

Is it possible that chromium/firefox rely e.g on networkmanager/connman do detect the availability of internet?

P.S.: I'm using the rootfs from a sdcard and already noticed that some problems that I encountered are related to that. However, I guess that I solved most of them by remounting the sdcard using "mount -o remount,suid,exec,dev .... " before calling DeskChroot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bomo View Post
After testing your rootfs more thoroughly, I noticed that neither firefox nor chromium can access the internet. Chromium gives the error "err_internet_disconnected".

However, pacman and others can access the internet.

Is it possible that chromium/firefox rely e.g on networkmanager/connman do detect the availability of internet?

P.S.: I'm using the rootfs from a sdcard and already noticed that some problems that I encountered are related to that. However, I guess that I solved most of them by remounting the sdcard using "mount -o remount,suid,exec,dev .... " before calling DeskChroot.
Hi. Chromium seems to work fine on my Jolla 1 phone. I think the main problems using Jolla phone is that the screen is a bit small for this (indeed, I've been pecking away on the keyboard with a stylus...) and the ram (only 1 GB) makes it a bit slow and possibly unstable (freezes at times).

Last edited by mscion; 2017-03-04 at 14:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Been playing with the tablet a bit. Still can't get kwin to work. It is possible there is an error with the wayland software. This is the error I get.

[destroyed object] error 0; invalid format 0x34325258
Disabling glamor and dri3, EGL set up failed

I found this recent bug report

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99791

Perhaps the same as problem I'm having. I'm not sure cause all this is above my pay grade...

Not sure what to try at this point. Maybe earlier version of software or VNC. Anyone have success using VNC? If so perhaps some instructions would be helpful. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Been playing with the tablet a bit. Still can't get kwin to work. It is possible there is an error with the wayland software. This is the error I get.

[destroyed object] error 0; invalid format 0x34325258
Disabling glamor and dri3, EGL set up failed

I found this recent bug report

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99791

Perhaps the same as problem I'm having. I'm not sure cause all this is above my pay grade...
Yippee! There was an update that fixed this bug! Xwayland now working for Archlinux on the Jolla Tablet. Amazing! I now have Sailfish, Android apps and Archlinux at my immediate disposal on a tablet that Jolla couldn't deliver, that a Chinese friend bought from Taobao and delivered to me for $200! Unbelievable! I've gotten half the refund. There is still a chance for the remaining half! The story goes on... Sorry about rambling on and on... One more thing. I love Jolla!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
i want to give a try to it. what base image do you suggest? i prefer debian based but i do not have problem with others. i want it to be fast and without problems. can you suggest me any base system.

i have nexus 5. oh and is there a way to cast screen to tv/ monitor without slimport cable?

i tried vnc but did not get it to work. i'll try to get it to work as soon as i get home.

The Following User Says Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
i want to give a try to it. what base image do you suggest? i prefer debian based but i do not have problem with others. i want it to be fast and without problems. can you suggest me any base system.

i have nexus 5. oh and is there a way to cast screen to tv/ monitor without slimport cable?

i tried vnc but did not get it to work. i'll try to get it to work as soon as i get home.
Since you are using Nexus 5, I would suggest you try the Manjaro version just to get started and see it work. Then move on as Manjaro will not have support in the near future.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=139

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by preflex View Post
You can find some helper scripts here:
https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot

ManChroot.sh will give you a root shell inside the chroot.
DeskChroot.sh will launch a XFCE4 session.

You may notice errors about mount points in /home/nemo not being found. If you would like to share these directories with the chroot, create those directories inside the chroot.

You can find the preconfigured Manjaro rootfs here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot/releases

To use with the helper scripts, unpack it in /opt/easychroot/Manjaro

This rootfs contains helper scripts in /usr/share/easychroot/scripts/
The start_xwayland.sh contains hardcoded values for my Nexus 4's screen. If you are using a different device, you will need to edit the last line of this script, substituting the height and width values for your device.
Great work there. Tested now and it worked on my Nexus 5 too. Running 2.0.4.13 SFOS. But i get an errors when starting some apps inside manjaro. Chromium does not start too.

UPDATE.
nevermind got it fixed.
if anyone needs you must run this command to fix permissions and run chromium
sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm

You had little error in usr/share/easychroot/scripts/start_desktop.sh

was !#/bin/bash must be #!/bin/bash

Last edited by matemana; 2017-03-06 at 20:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
Great work there. Tested now and it worked on my Nexus 5 too. Running 2.0.4.13 SFOS. But i get an errors when starting some apps inside manjaro. Chromium does not start too.
Excellent! Is there a release image of 2.0.4.13, or do you have to OTA from 2.0.1.11? Asking for a friend.

Also, for users with high dpi screens, you may want to bump up the DPI if UI elements are too small.
The easiest way do this, open "KDE System Settings" (command: systemsettings5), open the "Fonts" panel, and enter a higher value for the DPI. It might help to do this as root as well, since kwin runs as root. I already bumped it up to 128 from the default of 96 in my preconfigured image, but on your 1080x1920 screen you might want more.

if anyone needs you must run this command to fix permissions and run chromium
sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm

You had little error in usr/share/easychroot/scripts/start_desktop.sh

was !#/bin/bash must be #!/bin/bash
Whoops! I'll be sure to fix those in the near future, once I have Archlinux working (kwin is just crashing on me). Thanks for the feedback! I should have the necessary bandwidth and time to work on it tonight or tomorrow. For now, you can just add "chmod 1777 /dev/shm" to one of the scripts. start_xwayland.sh seems like a good choice for that.

Last edited by preflex; 2017-03-06 at 22:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post: