Notices

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Hello,

can somebody please tell me where I can actually download maps for ovi maps? I'd be interested in the whole Europe set.
Yes, I know this link [1] and that thread [2] and some others too, but they all don't seem to provide an actual map download, just a Windows downloader executable which is useless to me since I have no Windows.

Edit:
Strange! The 2.0 maps download at [1] works for me, but the 3.x download redirects me to [3]. Do I get that right that I need the 3.x maps or that they are at least of better quality? If so, how do I get them?

[1] http://nokiamaps.site666.info/
[2] http://maemo.org/community/maemo-use...n_n900_how_to/
[3] http://europe.nokia.com/apps-maps-and-more

Last edited by sulu; 2011-01-26 at 10:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
just use an OS emulator like VMware Workstation. You'd need OS image as well, which I could tell you haw to get in PM

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
just use an OS emulator like VMware Workstation. You'd need OS image as well, which I could tell you haw to get in PM
I know that option. But I don't want to install a proprietary software (ok, I could use qemu too) to emulate a proprietary OS just to download a simple zip file.
There are good reasons for proprietary software in some cases, but this is not one of them. Therefore simple archive downloads shouldn't be masked by a proprietary wrapper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
But I don't want to install a proprietary software
Virtualbox does the trick as well, and is mostly open source (although owned by EVIL ORACLE)

Originally Posted by petur View Post
Virtualbox does the trick as well, and is mostly open source (although owned by EVIL ORACLE)
I know. I use the OSE version for some applications. But for the ovi maps downloader I'd still need to get a Windows image from somewhere and break the EULA just to download a zip file.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
I know. I use the OSE version for some applications. But for the ovi maps downloader I'd still need to get a Windows image from somewhere and break the EULA just to download a zip file.
Just use wine, it's fully open source and it runs windows applications like you would use a native application of your OS.

Originally Posted by MiK546 View Post
Just use wine, it's fully open source and it runs windows applications like you would use a native application of your OS.
Yes I know.
But the initial problem stays the same: You need to jump through proprietary hoops (the Windows binary) just to get a simple zip archive. There is simply no good reason to download a file this way.
I don't like wine. From a technical point of view it's a great project and I hold the developers in high esteem, but the reasons that make it necessary are symptoms of a twisted software ecosystem that I don't want to support. (I know this may sound weird to some people.)

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I do not quite get it!
Just follow the links from this entry on and download the files you need!

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 274 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Yes I know.
But the initial problem stays the same: You need to jump through proprietary hoops (the Windows binary) just to get a simple zip archive. There is simply no good reason to download a file this way.
I don't like wine. From a technical point of view it's a great project and I hold the developers in high esteem, but the reasons that make it necessary are symptoms of a twisted software ecosystem that I don't want to support. (I know this may sound weird to some people.)
Well, if you want to do it the hard way the maps can be downloaded as a .zip from here: http://www.hpsblog.com/2009/07/direc...0-without.html