Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Right. Before I really start getting into the Mer^2 work I would like to just note a couple of things that will influence things in the future:

* I will be primarily focusing on the N810, not the N800. This means: I won't be spending too much time with the virtual keyboard, I won't be pursuing a stylus keyboard like Fremantle does it. Others are welcome to and patches happily accepted. I need personally to focus and I've decided I'll do this on the N810.

* The final installation will be a complete reflash - I'm not going to spend much time on dual-boot (it may or may not work easily).

* On a N800, you will need to dedicate at least a 2GB SD card permanently seated in the internal SD slot specially partitioned. On N810, we will need to repartition the internal SD.
* The base system will be Debian 5.0 but with a lot of things replaced so it looks (from technical point of view) closer to a Maemo 5.0 installation.

* I will try to seek permission to recompile most of the Fremantle system on top of these ported packages, which will only be legally
available for N800 and N810(W). We'll see how much will work.

* The system will not in any way be 100% open source. We're trying to accomplish it working and possible to use by users on a daily basis, not have an agenda.

* We will need to provide some custom artwork to distinguish between real Maemo and Mer^2 - there should be no brand confusion.

* I will need some Gtk coders to step up to help shape the old hildon-desktop closer to Fremantle interface. It won't be as shiny, but it will perform it's purpose.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-02-20 at 10:55.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
this sound like a good project, I'll definitly wipe out my internal mem for mer ...

but please dont disable the abiltity to boot vendor firmware (maemo)
is some help needed on the dual boot ?

Finally I did some trick to boot mer inside maemo, using chroot like easy debian
but some stuff are overlapping ... I'll have to check this again

regards and long live to mer !

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Right. Before I really start getting into the Mer^2 work I would like to just note a couple of things that will influence things in the future:

* I will be primarily focusing on the N810, not the N800. This means: I won't be spending too much time with the virtual keyboard, I won't be pursuing a stylus keyboard like Fremantle does it. Others are welcome to and patches happily accepted. I need personally to focus and I've decided I'll do this on the N810.

* The final installation will be a complete reflash - I'm not going to spend much time on dual-boot (it may or may not work easily).

* On a N800, you will need to dedicate at least a 2GB SD card permanently seated in the internal SD slot specially partitioned. On N810, we will need to repartition the internal SD.
* The base system will be Debian 5.0 but with a lot of things replaced so it looks (from technical point of view) closer to a Maemo 5.0 installation.

* I will try to seek permission to recompile most of the Fremantle system on top of these ported packages, which will only be legally

* The system will not in any way be 100% open source. We're trying to accomplish it working and possible to use by users on a daily basis, not have an agenda.

* We will need to provide some custom artwork to distinguish between real Maemo and Mer^2 - there should be no brand confusion.

* I will need some Gtk coders to step up to help shape the old hildon-desktop closer to Fremantle interface. It won't be as shiny, but it will perform it's purpose.
Sounds like a plan. I like the rational of aiming for something practicable, which takes the existing tablets forward, as we need something which enables some if not most of the new apps to run on the N810, otherwise I think the platform is at serious risk of dying though neglect.

If dual boot is possible, then I think you will get more people who are willing to test Mer^2 sooner. Certainly I will. My N810 is my primary device though (although I have an 800 as well), and things like Wayfinder are necessities until we have a working alternative, so a complete reflatten for a work in progress may cause pain.

Good luck STS, and many thanks for all your efforts with Mer and Mer^2. They are highly appreciated by me, and most others I think.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Thanks. Although I would say dual boot if you can.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
* I have an N810

* I'm interested to see and use Mer on my device, particularly installing from Ubuntu repositories and using Tear with updated libraries. This would be a big leap forward for me. Community SSU would be great as well, of course, but the closed-source components tie their hands a bit...

* I'm willing to contribute with feature-level testing for Mer incl contributing to/with bug reports and maybe some simple development work one day.

* If Qt 4.6 came to Mer &/or Diablo, I would then have more motivation to spend my precious free time doing NIT development work. The cross-platform would be a big lure -- I could potentially re-use my work in other contexts.

EDIT: * If Tear libraries could be updated, then I could use DPad Left in an edit box.

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-02-21 at 05:24. Reason: added another comment about Tear

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Stskeeps is up for an N810Thrives award (per my earlier post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=69), based on

I'll be contacting him via a PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
typing this on a n800 so i'm still around (tho archos is yanking my strings with that 8GB archos 5 IT. And even more so after allowing third party firmware on it).

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Stskeeps is up for an N810Thrives award.
that he has chosen to convert into an honorary award. :-)

Next on the list is Ima, for tacking the GTK and Hildon1 porting questions, http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=97.

There is also his less directly related post of getting the pipe character (|) easily accessible on the N900 (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=386724&postcount=8), and the unrelated IMAP NOTIFY RFC post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=26). The RFC is now on my required reading list, and I hope the claws-mail and modest maintainers have already read it!
http://www.eff.org.

Last edited by Alan_Peery; 2010-02-22 at 00:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I understand why you're doing this, and I agree you need to focus, but still... boo.

As others have noted, you're really going to need a very polished system to completely replace Diablo on most peoples' tablets.

Honestly, I would much prefer a community SSU for Diablo fixing everything that has already been patched rather than a shadow Fremantle for the N8x0.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Makes sense. Thanks for being quick to provide this head-ups on the roadmap.

I've been wondering if we should also rethink Diablo in light of MeeGo. Particularly, with the availability of GTK+, is it feasible to dare dream of doing Hildon extensions and porting existing GTK+ Diablo apps to work on top of Meego? I defer to those with technical expertise (particularly those devs that wrote apps and were hesitating to try to do a harmattan revision) on the practicality of it, and I am just floating the idea.
Hey, I'm all for moving forward with developing a version of MeeGo for the n8xx line and just dumping Mer. Not that Mer isn't a good project, but I think MeeGo will be light years ahead of it, and by the time that Mer catches up to Diablo, MeeGo will be so far ahead that it won't be worth having.

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810