Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Maebble v0.91 working install w/added biketool hacks including
-daylight savings/timezone hack
-app launcher
-desktop launcher

0-search out and delete all maebble files and directories which might mess with your install
find / -name maebble*

1-download maebble v0.91
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuj75423sc...0.92b.zip?dl=0

2- edit meabble.cfg on your computer to include your Pebble's mac address and change OSCP from True to False

3- use my post above
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=89
to create desktop and /usr/bin/pebble launchers; the launcher script above includes commands to use the proper config file and to leave a window open so you can kill the daemon as well as read diagnostics when running(install openwatch so your desktop file has an icon)

3.5- (Optional)apply daylight savings/traveler timezone hacks to the settings.py as per https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=89

4- transfer files to /home/user/MyDocs/Maebble

5- make a copy of Maebble.cfg in /home/user/.comfig/maebble

6-Pair your Pebble in bluetooth

7- launch from applications or make and use a desktop shortcut

Try this and report any errors to this thread, not documenting is whay these hack installs always get so long and woky remembering how we hacked it together.

Last edited by biketool; 2018-12-17 at 17:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Thanks Biketool!

So basically adds the apps launcher & desktop launcher to what I already hacked together right?

But it seems you have your hack so that it more automated? So you have it grabbing the local time, but do we still need to update the daylight saving each season?

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Thanks Biketool!

So basically adds the apps launcher & desktop launcher to what I already hacked together right?

But it seems you have your hack so that it more automated? So you have it grabbing the local time, but do we still need to update the daylight saving each season?

x
I used your idea but made a comment/uncomment toggle and more how-to documentation for greater utility in the hack, hopefully noting it here means more people actually can/will use it, but credit to you for adding the daylight savings mode.
As for daylight savings, I am not sure how Maemo flags that so yea still a manual switch in the file.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Ah, cool. Good to know. Though I wasn't prodding for credit, just wanted to see if it's just easier to keep what I had .

Thanks for putting this together.

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I like credit and I hope I remember when I do maemo garage stuff, it is part of the FOSS rules IMHO. What is needed is feedback before I move on to the garage and hopefully .deb and repos.
I actually think it should be a system daemon but I need to figure the most standard way to run as that.
It really needs a way to scrape the mac address from the bluetooth pairing rather than needing hand editing, that is not repo ready.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
There should be basic support to get the mac address but I opted for the configuration as a more stable solution.

I'll have a look at what changes I have locally and see if it's worth an update.

The Following User Says Thank You to proprog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by proprog View Post
There should be basic support to get the mac address but I opted for the configuration as a more stable solution.

I'll have a look at what changes I have locally and see if it's worth an update.
My Linux and embedded stuff is full of barely work hand typed hacks. Input especially from the real dev who wrote/adapted this code is exactly what I need if we want to have something ready for extras-testing.
I have to say that with maebble and a few hacks the N900/Pebble is exactly what I hoped for back at the kickstarter and my idea for a PAN years before that.

My long term idea for a PAN:
*smartwatch for notifications, music control, and SMSs(ideal for car and bicycle)
*bluetooth dongle 3.5mm jack and short headphones BT headset Nokia BH-214 & Sony MH-215 headphones(never got one with stand alone MP3 playback though)
*Linux mini computer/phone w/FM tx(link to old car stereos w/o bluetooth)
*Tablet(originally an eInk reader screen) tethered to phone for web browsing and other big screen needs(Nexus-7 flo); LineageOS for Microg https://lineage.microg.org/ I just wish it was also Maemo or other GNU Linux so it could run/compile normal x11 stuff
*USB battery pod(was a hand generator charger)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Is there a good way to monitor what I assume to be events or dbus? I want to scrape other things like calendar events for the Pebble via Maebble link.
I would like to try to transmit
1- grab GPS turn by turn, not sure if this goes to the same place or if there is a central API
2- calendar events
3- battery charge events
The GPS might require an app though maybe just posting a <-- or --> in large text.
4- activate the answer/hang up button on the watch.
These events would be grabbed, translated, and sent over bluetooth by the python script maebble.py
As a stopgap I believe all of these events could be grabbed and sent in the same way as a SMS already is. This is without me having looked at they py in many months other than tweaking daylight savings(may it be ended forever).

Last edited by biketool; 2019-08-12 at 11:41.

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
With dbus many things should be possible. This could be helpful:

Documentation/Maemo 5 Developer Guide/DBus/DBus Basics

N900 dbus
I think links to files are down but I uploaded what I had here:
http://www.setius.net/downs/maemo/dbus/

Phone control

DbusScripts

For gps you could use gpscon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
(snip)
For gps you could use gpscon.
I am more looking for a file or api where I can grab the "turn left 50m" or whatever that I could convert to text for GPS. There are apps which can use direct GPS input as well as communicate over the 'net but I am trying to stick with the same protocol being used for SMS displays.

Last edited by biketool; 2019-08-12 at 22:25.

Tags
pebble time, smart watch