Good day everyone,

This evening, I wanted to install mobile hotspot and connect a macbook with it. At first, mobilehotstop did not work, so after some research i found this fix:

From N900 App Manager, do this:
Uninstall hotspot.
Install: Enhanced Linux kernel for power users (settings). (stable repository, requires no special setup)
Install: MobileHotSpot
Reboot N900

I followed these steps and when i wanted to reboot the phone, it hung at startup. The nokia screen starts up, holds for a few seconds, then turns black. A few seconds later, the nokia screen reappears, holds for a few seconds, and then the screen goes black again.

When connnected to usb, it shows a constant yellow light. Sometimes, when trying to boot (no connection with usb whatsoever) it shows a constant white light. The yellow light will remain there, while the white light dissapears after a minute or so.

In essence, it just hangs.. I am not completely new to maemo and have done some serious research in fixing this. But I couldnt find much more than a reflash as a solution. I was hoping someone has some genious idea in how this could be fixed, since a reflash is not desirable.

Thankyou.

The solution:

Download the latest maemo flasher (here: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php), and the latest firmware file (.bin) (here: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php).

Put the firmware file (.bin) in /program files/maemo/flasher-3.5

Then open the flasher, type in: flasher-3.5.exe -F "firmware file name".bin -f -R

The flasher will wait for the n900 to connect.

Put the micro usb in the n900, slide it open, press and hold "u" then put in the usb cable in the laptop.

It should reflash the rootfs.

Last edited by tim_de_wolf; 2011-04-09 at 14:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to tim_de_wolf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Try to take out the battery and place it back then reboot it without a usb cable it usually works for me. If that fails though you might need to reflash.
PS: My N900 doesn't like to be started with the USB plugged in for some funny reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Ugh. After installing kernel-power, REBOOT. Just, REBOOT, do nothing else.
If you want to try, download the Power46 kernel image, and load the vmlinuz from it.
Uninstall kernel-power and Mobilehotspot, check your modules, reboot. You should be back to pr1.3-kernel.

See Using Rescue initrd.

Use the command line flash to reflash just the kernel back to the original kernel
Code:
flasher-3.5 -f --flash-only=kernel -R -F <firmware-image>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
@JonWW, from the wiki:
This will flash the kernel from the FIASCO image and then reboot your device. The rootfs will not be touched by this. NB a kernel usually needs matching modules in rootfs, so odds are your kernel from FIASCO image won't work either, if you messed up the modules in rootfs - you need to flash whole COMBINED/FIASCO image then to recover.
It'd be better to extract the kernel initrd and vmlinuz from kernel-power, assuming he installed kernel-power-modules and the kernel-power-flasher.

Thanks for your input,

There is only one problem, because he keeps on turning on and off, it is not possible for me to connect it with the computer. When it starts up, at the top right corner the connectivity symbol appears, but after a few seconds the device goes off again. This cycle repeats continiously.

Or I am missing something here, that Im capable of connecting it.

Run the command:
Code:
flasher-3.5.exe -F ${ROOTFS_FIRMWARE_FILE}.bin -f -R
It will wait for the N900. Then:
1. Attach the microUSB cable onto the N900.
2. Open the slide.
3. Hold down U
4. While holding U, connect it to the PC.
5. It will reflash the rootfs.

Hurrian i followed those steps.

Maemo Flasher 3.5 gives me this response to the command:

flasher v2.5.2 <sep 24 2009>

${ROOTFS_FIRMWARE_FILE}.bin: %m

I have absolutely no clue what this means.

UPDATE: I now see that i should put there the firmware file. Lets give it a try

UPDATE: After I revised my mistakes, and being utterly stupid, i entered the correct code for the firmware file. I then let it flash, and now the phone is fully working again.

Thanks again hurrian!

Last edited by tim_de_wolf; 2011-04-09 at 14:05.

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Use the command line flash to reflash just the kernel back to the original kernel
Code:
flasher-3.5 -f --flash-only=kernel -R -F <firmware-image>
Thank you so much for that command/syntax

Yes, I screwed up the kernel. It wouldn't flash in Win7, but worked for Win XP.
It failed to boot when i de-installed the power kernel and rebooted.
Flashing only the kernel kept my settings.
It was much safer than flashing the whole thing.

Hi,

i know this is a long shot but I have just had the same problem and can't find any flasher or firmware files online. My phone just keeps showing the nokia logo even when i plug into usb. any help would be very much appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to owenjohnston For This Useful Post:

Tags
boot-loop, maemo 5