Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
@olf Thank you for your suggestions. I understand your concern and feeling, there are lots of things happening on the background, and I can't explain it in too much details publicly.

You also over-simplified the complexity developing a product like this. For example

Originally Posted by olf View Post
Create a new housing based on your Moto-Z keyboard, with a replaceable battery under the keyboard (to achieve a proper weight distribution, when the hardware keyboard is slid out).
In this short sentence, the actural work will be:

- Adjust and fine tune the Keyboard Mod slider to make it fit with the new FPC on "Pocket PC". We can't just use it without making any changes.

- Needs to have a structural re-design to make FPC woring flawlessly without affecting removal of battery. ie The position of connectors

- Needs to re-design the PCB to enable removable battery

- Needs to re-design the enclosure how to open it etc, without affecting its looking or integrity.

And it's the same with other steps you mentioned. It might looks easy and straight, but a lot of work in behind.

I am fully aware of what I am doing now. I share the same eager for this type of device because that is what I needed myself for a long time.

But I certainly don't want to launch a campaign or project before I make sure all the steps into details (technology, cost, timeline etc)

There are too many parties claims that they can make a handheld keyboard device and not yet deliver the product a long time after taking funds. I will only move forward if I can manage it, on technical side, also supply chain, partnerships, reliability test, etc. I need time to put those all together.

What I can assure you is work have been doing in the background. And this device will be out next year. I am solving all the details to make sure that it can be delivered shortly after formally announcing it, instead of taking funds then realised different problems and can't keep the promise.

P.S: I want to deliver this slider device in the same quality as the Keyboard Mod I'm working with, as well as the quality of mainstream phones. Certainly not choppy hardware or a "Chinese copy" of something. That also takes time especially finding reliable suppliers.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-11-01 at 06:14.

The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Look, these are technicalities I tried to avoid
Generally speaking I find this forum to be reasonably technically minded, as such there's usually no reason to simplify things to the point where they become inaccurate.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Generally speaking I find this forum to be reasonably technically minded, as such there's usually no reason to simplify things to the point where they become inaccurate.
if you can't simplify things you don't understand it well enough. Generally speaking.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
if you can't simplify things you don't understand it well enough. Generally speaking.
Indeed!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Indeed!
You're a pretty big Randall Munroe fan, huh?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
As I just destroyed the display of my Jolla1 I need you to hurry up, Chen

I know it's a lot to ask, especially if you look at the efforts Fairphone or Shiftphone are doing, but will the QWERTY device be repairable easily? And what about using conflict-free minerals in the components?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to schmittlauch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by schmittlauch View Post
will the QWERTY device be repairable easily? And what about using conflict-free minerals in the components?
I have a Fairphone 2, and even I think this is way out of scope!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by schmittlauch View Post
As I just destroyed the display of my Jolla1 I need you to hurry up, Chen
I'm actually looking for an old Jolla phone for parts
(the motherboard on mine did fry due to a short circuit, due to a dislodged micro-USB. Yes, my phone tend to endure a lot of physical abuse).
Would you be interested in selling the corpse of yours ?

@Chen:
...and of course still interested in the Qwerty phone as a long term replacement of my current phones.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
I'm actually looking for an old Jolla phone for parts
I have a J1 phone which got some moisture damage and shortly after this stopped working completely. I haven't checked the condition of the internals for a while, but I could give it away for a price of postages.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
@DrYak I may also still be looking for a Jolla1 with a fried circuit board or whatever, as long as the display works and it's cheaper than the utopic 200€ working Jolla1s currently cost on EBay.

@FeathersMcGraw:

I have a Fairphone 2, and even I think this is way out of scope!
I know that this won't be another FairPhone, especially guaranteeing spare parts availability over several years will be too hard for such a small project.
I just want to know what can be achieved with deciding for the better repairable solution/ more available standard part whenever a choice during designing can be made. E.g. not glueing everything together, still using screws and stuff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schmittlauch For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen