Active Topics

Notices

I've now got this set up and working myself. Very useful thing to have! Any idea how much work it would take (or if indeed it's possible) to have full integration into the built in Presence/Availability & VOIP accounts for the N900? It would be very nice to have. But just having OCS working in Pidgin is fantastic. I can work as late as I want!

Oh, wait...

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gold0r View Post
Any idea how much work it would take (or if indeed it's possible) to have full integration into the built in Presence/Availability & VOIP accounts for the N900? It would be very nice to have.
Both are under consideration but will need some effort
  • OCS VoIP support: Pidgin 2.6.x added V/V support, so it would be possible. My guess is when V/V support is added to the Windows port it will happen pretty fast :-)
  • Maemo Conversation is based on the telepathy framework. There is currently work ongoing in the Sipe project to allow non-purple backends, but the schedule for a native telepathy version is open
  • telepathy-haze adapts purple plugins to the telepathy plugin. I have tested succesfully the pidgin-sipe + telepathy-haze combination with Empathy on a Fedora box. But on Maemo it fails, because the Account setup doesn't allow entering "," (comma) and "\" (backslash) in the user name which are essential for most OCS credentials
Hope this clarifies things for you,

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'm getting an error message "SSL read error" when trying to connect. Debug says the following.

(10:27:21) util: Writing file accounts.xml to directory /home/user/.purple
(10:27:21) util: Writing file /home/user/.purple/accounts.xml
(10:27:26) util: Writing file prefs.xml to directory /home/user/.purple
(10:27:26) util: Writing file /home/user/.purple/prefs.xml
(10:27:50) connection: Connection error on 0x3f7e10 (reason: 0 description: SSL read error)
(10:27:50) account: Disconnecting account...

I'm using Pidgin 2.6.6-1nix0 and OC plugin 1.10.0_1maemo1 on my N900. Any ideas how to start tracking down the reason behind this?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Aix en Provence
After few weeks of use on N810, Pidgin now shows all buddies as Offline, but I know they're not all offline.
It seems once a buddy is offline, Pidgin no longer checks status.

Has anybody seen this before? Anyway to fix it?

Thanks,

Vince.

Originally Posted by SonicMist View Post
After few weeks of use on N810, Pidgin now shows all buddies as Offline, but I know they're not all offline.

Thanks,

Vince.
Anyone, any idea? I noticed a plug-in update since the initial release, I wonder what this update was about and whether it contributed to this issue.

Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
You guys are killing me. Seriously....

pidgin-sipe is a protocol plugin for Pidgin! It will therefore not show up under Settings/Accounts!

Here are the step-by-step instructions how to connect to your Office Communicator account:
  • Open the App Manager
  • Add the "maemo.org Extras" (and "Extras testing" for fremantle) repository
  • Select Install
  • Find "Pidgin Internet Messenger" and install it
  • Find "Pidgin protocol plugin for Office Communicator" and install it
  • Leave the App Manager
  • Open the applications menu, find "Pidgin" and start it
  • In Pidgin select the menu "Accounts" -> "Manage Accounts"
  • In the dialog press the "Add..." button
  • Select "Office Communicator" as protocol
  • Enter your Office Communicator credentials and server settings (if needed)
  • Press "Save"
Pidgin should now connect to your Office Communicator account...

Let me repeat it again, in case you didn't read the beginning of this message:pidgin-sipe is a protocol plugin for Pidgin! It will therefore not show up under Settings/Accounts! If you want to connect to your Office Communicator account you have to run Pidgin.

Thanks for the steps buddy... works gr8

Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
Both are under consideration but will need some effort[*]telepathy-haze adapts purple plugins to the telepathy plugin. I have tested succesfully the pidgin-sipe + telepathy-haze combination with Empathy on a Fedora box. But on Maemo it fails, because the Account setup doesn't allow entering "," (comma) and "\" (backslash) in the user name which are essential for most OCS credentials
Would it be possible to use the pidgin-sipe + telpathy-haze combination with the disclaimer that the user would have to edit the config file by hand to set up the account? There are no commas or backslashes in my own company setup anyway.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zencode View Post
Would it be possible to use the pidgin-sipe + telpathy-haze combination with the disclaimer that the user would have to edit the config file by hand to set up the account? There are no commas or backslashes in my own company setup anyway.
Then I guess it should already work for you. Just install the haze account setup UI (or whatever the package is called).

FYI: it should be easier in the future

Thanks,

Vince.
In addition to not trusting the offline/online status as mentioned above, I also see that some offline buddies show the "out-of-the-office" message of other buddies ...
I'd say there are still quite a few bugs to make this app usable, unless it is my company OC setup that has issues, but I'm not getting this problemes using OC from work.

Thanks,

Vince.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA

Thanks,

Vince.
I have Pidgin 2.6.6 installed on my N800 and the "presence" of my buddies are accurate.