Active Topics

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
On an N900 running Maemo 5, pressing and holding a key on the physical keyboard produces Fn+Key if the hold lasts for ~1 second. Is it possible to change the time required for the (hold key)->(Fn+Key) transition to take place? I'd like to shorten it to maybe a third of its default value. If you don't know of a way to change the time, do you know which piece of code produces this behavior? I might be able to hack a solution if there is no clean one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
It could be also useful to make time actually *longer* - many applications tend to miss-interpret key pressed (during heavy CPU load), as a long-press when in fact it was short. It was so irritating, that I've disabled this feature all-together, reverting back to "repeating keys" behavior.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
On an N900 running Maemo 5, pressing and holding a key on the physical keyboard produces Fn+Key if the hold lasts for ~1 second. Is it possible to change the time required for the (hold key)->(Fn+Key) transition to take place? I'd like to shorten it to maybe a third of its default value. If you don't know of a way to change the time, do you know which piece of code produces this behavior? I might be able to hack a solution if there is no clean one.
You can change this timeout by command:
Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/inputmethod/ext_kb_long_press_timeout -t int 300
int value is in mili seconds

Also there are two others interval. How fast repeat key (the lower value the faster repeat) and after what interval repeat mode is turn on (for backspace etc).
Code:
for gconfkey in "ext_kb_long_press_timeout" "int_kb_repeat_interval" "int_kb_repeat_delay" ; do
	val=`gconftool-2 -g /apps/osso/inputmethod/$gconfkey`
	printf "\n$gconfkey: $val ms\nChange to (int): "
	read new
	[ $new ] && [ $new -gt 0 ] && val=$new
	gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/inputmethod/$gconfkey -t int $val
done

Last edited by ontime; 2015-10-17 at 10:37.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ontime For This Useful Post:
Naming yourself "ontime" and the first post is answering a question that is three years old - great sense of humour

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Naming yourself "ontime" and the first post is answering a question that is three years old - great sense of humour
Cheers
You're right. My first post here should be good morning or so, but that's what I am. If it's possible, straight to the point.

Crowd / community around maemo & n900 seems still be alive, so it's another opportunity for someone to take advantage of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ontime For This Useful Post:
Cheers
You're right. My first post here should be good morning or so, but that's what I am. If it's possible, straight to the point.

Crowd / community around maemo & n900 seems still be alive, so it's another opportunity for someone to take advantage of it.

Cheers