Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by nicola_botta View Post
1) there was an upgrade of 'easy-deb-chroot' yesterday or the day before. Since then 'Debian chroot' crashes.
There were TWO updates. Please make sure (in Application Manager, under "show installed applications") that you have easy-deb-chroot version 0.9.12, because 0.9.11 has a bug. If you have 0.9.11, please upgrade and your problem will be fixed.

I can see error messages in the xterm started by 'Debian chroot' before it crashes.
'sudo chroot /debian' worked perfectly until the new upgrade.
That's really not the way to do it. You should use "sudo debian" to get root access to the chroot; "debbie" or "sudo debian hilda" will run applications as "user". You can run a Debian app (eg. oowriter) by typing, "debbie oowriter".

If you have version 0.9.12, and Easy Debian is still crashing, please post the errors when you reboot and then type "sudo debian".

2) I have (had) purged most of the heavyweight Debian GNU/Linux applications and installed a few new. Is there a way to remove the entries of the purged applications from the maemo application launcher ?
You delete the correct .desktop files from /usr/share/applications/hildon as root, they are sanely named and should be easy to find.

Thanks a lot qole, 0.9.12 works perfectly ! Best, Nicola

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
hello all,
am a little frustrated.....i think install debian correctly but I don't know how to confirm this. I tapped on 1 off the browsers about 5 mins ago, and nothing isn't loading.

later on maybe someone could install something that tells the user the program is loading........we all are'nt experts.

Thanks

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Argentina
Hello Everybody:
Yesterday I tried to install Easy Debian Turbo-Charged Edition without success; I have Nokia N800 with Maemo Linux based OS2008 version 2.20007.50-2. I downloaded easy-deb-chroot.install and verified that Maemo Extras repository was enabled. When I executed the installer appeared “unable to download easy-deb-chroot. Application package not found”
I had changed the language to English for the installation without success (I use Spanish as default language and when I installed KDE had problems which were solved when the language of the SO before the installation was changed to English, when the installation of KDE was finished I returned to Spanish without problems).
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Permetrina; 2008-12-01 at 13:11.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Quick bugfix release uploaded straight to Extras.

Grog: When 0.9.12 appears in your list of updates, install it.
Been away. The fix worked for me. Thanks

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
@qole

I'm not an expert on this Debian stuff, so let me ask this...I installed your Easy Debian package back in October when you originally started this thread. Everything has been working great, but this morning I got prompted to update to 0.9.12, which I did. This is the first time I have used my tablet in a few weeks, so I basically skipped over the 0.9.10 and .11 updates.

Do I now need to delete and reinstall my image file? Also, I had moved all of the associated Debian program icons to a separate program list called "Debian", instead of the "Extras" area where they were installed. Will this cause any problems?

I don't mind reinstalling the image file, especially if you have made some improvements in free space to install other apps...

Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
orbitalcomp: No, as I've said before, the message about installing the image file is misleading for those, like you, who already have the latest image file.

I'm waiting for an update to Java in Debian before updating the image file.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
qole,

First of all, amazing work. Being able to program drum beats in hydrogen on the subway is just something I never expected the tablet to do.

Alas. there is the end of my portable audio joy. Thus far, I haven't been able find to another audio app to open successfully. Anything midi related complains that

Code:
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
Error opening ALSA sequencer.
Any ideas about this? I'd love to be able to aseqnet to send midi over wifi into the tablet. Even using rezound would be nice but it seems to not connect to the audio device.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by qole View Post
orbitalcomp: No, as I've said before, the message about installing the image file is misleading for those, like you, who already have the latest image file.

I'm waiting for an update to Java in Debian before updating the image file.
That's what I thought, I just wanted to double-check before I screwed something up...thanks, qole!

looplog: I have been unable to get MIDI working on the tablet, too. I have very little knowledge in this area; I wish someone who does have knowledge here would drop in and help us.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice