Am thinking about going ahead and getting an N810 now to replace the N800 I gave to my daughter, and the main "hold up" is that I don't know if I can run RenPy on it. It generally uses Python and JEdit, which I believe can be found for the N810, so at least the basics are there. But the page says it's for Linux x86, which the N810 is not.

Any ideas as to whether this is just a recompile, or a major rewrite? Can I at least get JEdit setup on an 810 to work the program scripts?

this looks like it should just be a recompile. not sure about jedit - i would only want the functionality for playing games. i am going to look at this later after work tomorrow, but if anyone else is interested who has a more readily available build environment, let me know. i wish i could just build on the device, but not enough space

If you get it working, let me know and I'll let the author and some of the developers I work with know as well. It would be great to be able to demo my latest games on something I can pull out of my pocket!

Status update. I tried to compile it, but got this halfway through:

/scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc2.5-arm/bin/sbox-arm-linux-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'

Not sure quite yet what to make of this but it may be that an old version of python is included in scratchbox..

What resolution are renpy games using?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by stacia View Post
Status update. I tried to compile it, but got this halfway through:

/scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc2.5-arm/bin/sbox-arm-linux-as: unrecognized option `-Qy'

Not sure quite yet what to make of this but it may be that an old version of python is included in scratchbox..
This was discussed on maemo-developers and the solution was to call "python2.5" directly rather than running python. If you really can't find where to do so; run (after installing python2.5 from extras):
Code:
export SBOX_REDIRECT_IGNORE=/usr/bin/python ; export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
And python2.5 will automatically be run instead of scratchbox's old *** python.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
What resolution are renpy games using?
Eek, good point, I didn't think of that at all. I figured since it was crossplatform and there are a number of emulators that work fine, it would be OK, but now that I think of it, renpy isn't an emulator and I don't know if it resizes for unsupported resolutions.

I just found that python trick, I'm going to try it, thanks.

The latest version of RenPy will do an automatic resize (added because of mobile and netbook growth). I believe it's version 6.91.

More progress. build.sh works fine with the new python trick. However I got this:

qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - exiting

upon building build_python.sh. A little searching and I found this:

https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/p...st/000480.html

And that lead me to this blog post:

http://maemogeek.blogspot.com/2007/1...atch-into.html

Having some difficulties installing the qemu patch but will get back to you once I figure it out.

FWIW, Vers 6.9.2 was released today with a few additional bug fixes.

Tags
gaming, n810, programming, python