[QUOTE=bergie;37822]I installed it last night on my N800 and it seemed to work as advertised at least with my home FON router.

Bergie,

I appreciate the effort and your mention of Devicescape. But beyond making it slightly easier to connect to my home network, I see very little use for the service. My purpose in buying a n800 was to connect to open free networks, not pay companies like T-mobile and Starbucks $50 a month to connect to a few locations around town. (Seattle) Of course, in Seattle I can find plenty of coffee shops that are more interesting than Starbucks that have totally open WIFI for free. IMHO, this Internet tablet is Nokia's trial run at a devise to connect via mobile WIMAX-probably via Sprint when they bring out their WIMAX next year. I'm currently paying Clearwire $37 per month for very reliable stationary WIMAX service at my house.If I want to, I can move the modem to another location and have internet-it just needs to be plugged in. I have tried it plugged into an inverter in my van with a Netgear wireless router connected and that works too. I could park near a Starbucks and log into my own mobile network right now. I'm betting that mobile WIMAX will cost less than the fifty bucks per month that Starbucks is asking for internet while sitting in thier shop drinking a $4 coffee. Beyond all that, I'll be darned if I would give my wireless password to anyone.

Neil
Seattle

Bergie,
Thanks for the info. I only started to get the point about dbus a week or so ago when I stumbled over a discussion on the maemo-developers list. It appears to be a flexible concept and I'll definitely be looking into it. I must do some testing and study more scripts.

BT in UK will be glad to log you in automatically and be even more happy when
you get out of range so they can charge you 15 minutes more for not logging
out.

An autologin is a great concept only if it connects to free wifi. One of the
worst points about the N800 is every time you try to login to any wifi the
N800 will ask you if you want to remember this wifi connection. This is
before you are even certain that you will make a connection. Sometimes
it shows all bars green and the spot open. But if you have clicked yes you
will later find that you are connected to BT or some other monoply which
will charge you dearly if you do auto conncect and they then drop the
signal even while you stand on the same spot.

The N800 needs to move Save this Connection to a voluntary place instead
of putting it in your face every time you click to try an open connection.

The Gnome free wifi auto login mentioned a few posts ago sounds like
it would be a big help to the N800. http://antoine.mairesse.free.fr/autologin-applet/

Very much agreed about 'save this connection'. It should be an option that you could select by e.g. clicking on an active wi-fi status icon.

(How many times have I had to click 'no' just to get it to connect? By now it must be thousands of useless clicks)